What religions teach that everything is fine?

Discussion in 'Comparative Studies' started by Fry, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Fry

Fry Member

Most teach that everything can be fine if you follow certain rules and/or rituals.

Which ones teach that there simply is nothing to worry about, nothing to fear, no dread, no threats, no matter what?

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Some schools of Buddhism might get very close to what you describe, Zen for example.

However, you write, "... teach that there is nothing to worry about ...", which sounds a bit like denial. In Buddhism, fear like any other experience is acknowledged, not denied.

I think Taoism may apply, but am not very familiar. @RJM Corbett has more insight into Taoism.

Ancient Greek Stoicism may also go in the direction you outline.

The Epicureans, now that I think of it, too, check out the "Letter to Menoeceus" for a tantalizing fragment of Epicurus' own thoughts on fear, among other things. http://classics.mit.edu/Epicurus/menoec.html

Edit: link to Epicurean scripture.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Fry likes this.
  3. Miken

Miken Active Member

If there is nothing to worry about, nothing to fear, no dread, no threats, no matter what, why bother with a religion?

Fry likes this.
  4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

I believe 'core' Taoism was an exacting yoga of immortality requiring total commitment.
    https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Taoist-Yoga-Alchemy-and-Immortality.pdf

I do not think the Tao Te Ching is the definitive Taoist 'scripture, but it seems to be able to be used to suit the modern 'it's all about me' idea of boutique religion?
    https://www.hermetica.info/Laozi.pdf

I believe the I Ching is probably the oldest Taoist 'scripture'
    https://www.labirintoermetico.com/09IChing/Wilhelm_R_The_I_Ching_or_Book_of_Changes_(abriged).pdf

In all cases detachment and humility (as in humility before Heaven) are probably the core message. Imo

interfaith.org tao forums:
    https://www.interfaith.org/community/forums/tao/

5. RJM Corbet

6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

The central text of Thelema, "Liber Al", is dripping with threats of destruction.

Also, the oaths associated with some of the rituals, are also rather gruesome in their wording.

Maybe not what @Fry was looking for. But definitely interesting in its own right.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  7. Miken

Miken Active Member

In Thelema, 'Do What Thou Wilt' does not mean 'do whatever you fell like'. It means to find your True Will, your purpose in the universe and live according to that. Finding your True Will might be thought of as a kind of enlightenment. Love is an important element in this.

"IT IS WRITTEN that "Love is the law, love under will." Herein is an Arcanum concealed, for in the Greek Language Agaph, Love, is of the same numerical value as Velhma, Will. By this we understand that the Universal Will is of the nature of Love."
    De Lege Libellum
    http://www.scarletwoman.org/docs/docs_lege.html

Got that?

Thomas and RJM Corbet like this.
  8. RJM Corbet

I do get that. Before he could lose the rules and paint like a child, first Picasso had to master the rules of painting. Somewhere St Paul said that although with full understanding all things were permitted to him, yet he did not want to mislead/tempt others who did not yet have that understanding?

9. Miken

Miken Active Member

I am not aware of Paul saying that. Did you means these?

1 Corinthians 5
    11 And such were some of you. [sinners] But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
    12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

1 Corinthians 10
    21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he? 23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

10. RJM Corbet

Yes.

Also 1 Corinthians 10:31-33

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  11. RJM Corbet

Perhaps we will learn, no matter what we do, and so eventually over course of infinite time, we all must reach 'heaven?'

But that means there can be no permanent, eternal hell -- especially not as a result of our one brief human life actions?

12. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

Hmm .. unfortunately, there is a hell. People often ask why God allows us to suffer in this life?
    The answer to that question is complex .. the bottom line is that we DO suffer.

Many protestants have concluded that God would not allow anybody to suffer in the life hereafter.
    ..but that is not borne out by the teachings of Jesus in the scriptures. It is purely an emotional conclusion.

Faith is not complete without having a fear of falling into hell through sin.
    Even WITH this knowledge, we still carry on sinning .. but hopefully, not serious sins like adultery or murder.

We can see in this world the results of "the reformation". Many Christians today are quite happy with secular values,
    such as same-sex-marriage, and women taking responsibility for men..

13. Fry

Fry Member

Thanks.
    Early philosophical Taoism was far from teaching fear and dread. Tao Te Ching, Chuang Tzu.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  14. Fry

Fry Member

Much appreciated!