YHVH and AUM

ScholarlySeeker

Reaction score
Cino mentioned we ought to start a new thread here dealing with Kabbalah and the Eastern side of religion, where East meets West so to speak. I have a groovy picture showing a graphic representation of YHVH Kabbalistically as the esoteric meaning of the actual lettered name in the form of a man, but what is missing is the Four Worlds of the Kabbalah as well. The Uppermost would be by his head, the next one his chest, next (third) his pelvic region, and finally the lower one (ours) by his feet. But the Four Worlds of AUM is shown. Just picture the same across by YHVH and you see a nifty little diagrammatic parallel here.
aumYHVH.jpg

It was always my understanding that YHVH just meant "He!" with the exclaimation mark.

That is to say, in Arabic: Ya Huwa
Or in some other language l don't know: Yehova

Although in those cases, l don't know where the final H comes from.

It was always my understanding that YHVH just meant "He!" with the exclaimation mark.

That is to say, in Arabic: Ya Huwa
Or in some other language l don't know: Yehova

Although in those cases, l don't know where the final H comes from.

There have been many ideas/theories as to the meaning of YHVH, the one that I particularly remember is that YHVH is a construct from the verb 'to be'
(לִהְיוֹת) with the meaning 'that which was, is and will be'.

4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am he.
5 The isles saw it, and feared; the ends of the earth were afraid, drew near, and came.
6 They helped every one his neighbour; and every one said to his brother, Be of good courage.

- Isaiah 41 -

5 One shall say, I am the Lord's; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the Lord, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.

- Isaiah 44 -

13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

- Exodus 3 -

14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
- Exodus 3 -
“Eheyeh asher Eheyeh” - the Hebrew words in Exodus 3:14 do not translate as “I am that I am”. A more accurate translation would be “I will be what I will be”.

“Eheyeh asher Eheyeh” - the Hebrew words in Exodus 3:14 do not translate as “I am that I am”. A more accurate translation would be “I will be what I will be”.

Yes, agreed. I was just quoting the KJV of the Bible which I understand is often used according to https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/

The traditional English translation within Judaism favors "I will be what I will be" because there is no present tense of the verb "to be" in the Hebrew language.
- wiki -

Well, they can be translated as that. A translation is just someone's understanding yes? I have seen a lot of different analysis on this very interesting word, to be sure... this is probably one of the tougher ones to get a word for word translation that makes sense, kind of.

Well, they can be translated as that. A translation is just someone's understanding yes? I have seen a lot of different analysis on this very interesting word, to be sure... this is probably one of the tougher ones to get a word for word translation that makes sense, kind of.
Actually the tough one is figuring out the best meaning of the tetragrammaton.

Actually the tough one is figuring out the best meaning of the tetragrammaton.
I cannot possibly argue with such a perfect point. Yes, the one thing I have come to truly *appreciate* I mean really get it in the gut, is the magnificent efforts of the Jewish rabbis in their giving so many clues, yet through revealing their stunning insights which set me off scurrying for weeks into many books, never reveal but conceal their full knowledge. Where would the joy be in that? They always give me extra knowledge, and force me, through their astonishing clues, force me to get into it myself, learn for myself, with the unspoken saying to me, "Oh? You now think you have it do you? Try replace the ayin with a mem, and see what you get!" Something along that line, among many lines! "Why don't you just go ahead and read Ezekiel 5:3 in light of what we have already said, and instead of accepting it, find another line of inquiry, and see the insight that leads to" and without ever fail, there is never just one more line, but several! I mean it is infinitely delightful, truly humbling because I am seeing how well I can grasp things, and just when I get to the top of a hill, they present another one I have not yet fathomed, and my adventure and journey continues. I LOVE you Jewish people. I love reading the wisdom, the knowledge, the hope, the love of Torah, and the love of Hasem, the Holy One, Blessed, truly... Blessed be He. You always enlarge me. You always help me (and none of you even know it! I am, after all a nobody), I always come away a better person during and after reading and digesting and doing the "engaging in the Torah," truly, one of the coolest, and greatest statements of what it is all about in the Zohar.

Reactions: RJM
Back