Alfred the Great

Discussion in 'Ancient History and Mythology' started by muhammad_isa, Feb 8, 2021.

1. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls

King Alfred is the best Christian king that Britain has ever had, imo.

What a blessing!
    Unfortunately, by the time we get to Henry VIII, things started to go downhill.
    If it wasn't for Oliver Cromwell, God KNOWS where we would be now. :)

2. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

Ah. The awesome killer of thousands of Irish Catholics because of their belief? What's not to love?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  3. muhammad_isa

Indeed, he is a very controversial figure.
    The English civil war is a complex topic.

I'm really referring to the CONSEQUENCE of the civil war.
    i.e. it strengthened democracy, without destroying the monarchy

4. RJM Corbet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwellian_conquest_of_Ireland#:~:text=The Cromwellian Settlement,-Main articles: Act&text=Cromwell imposed an extremely harsh,of Protest

The impact of the war on the Irish population was unquestionably severe, although there is no consensus as to the magnitude of the loss of life. The war resulted in famine, which was worsened by an outbreak of bubonic plague. Estimates of the drop in the Irish population resulting from the Parliamentarian campaign range from 15 to 83 percent.

The Parliamentarians also transported about 50,000 people as indentured labourers. Some estimates cover population losses over the course of the Conquest Period (1649–52) only, while others cover the period of the Conquest to 1653 and the period of the Cromwellian Settlement from August 1652 to 1659 together.

5. muhammad_isa

..perhaps you would have preferred Napoleon Bonaparte? :eek:

6. muhammad_isa

- wikipedia -

..so as I said in the OP, things went downhill with Henry VIII.
    The division that was caused by the Protestant Reformation goes on until this day.

- wikipedia -

It seems to me that "doctrine" is the main source of division that caused the reformation.

- wikipedia -

I'm fed up with bishops :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  7. RJM Corbet

In fact Henry VIII wanted a son to succeed him and his wife Catherine of Aragon had only given him a daughter, Mary.

The Pope wouldn't let him divorce, so Henry decided to split and start his own church with himself at the head. Then he realised it would be opportune to dissolve all the monasteries and take their lands and wealth.

He went on with several more wives as you are aware, and finally was able to conceive a son, a sickly boy Edward III who sat on the throne for a year or two, under the regency of Thomas Cramner, the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was later burned at the stake by Mary, when she succeeded Edward.

That's from memory, so forgive me if wiki corrects me on some of the finer details ...

8. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Yes, religions have their ups and downs. The same, I suppose, with the early Caliphates, and the resulting Shia/Sunni splits and schisms.

Same with ayatollahs and imams ;)

muhammad_isa and RJM Corbet like this.
  9. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

As I understand it, High Anglicanism is a very close parallel with Roman Catholicism/Eastern Orthodoxy. Henry VIII never abrogated Catholic doctrine beyond denying the authority of the pope.

That was the plan, sold to him by the aristocracy (who had their eyes on the monastic estates). The income would pay for Henry's war with France, but in the end, he saw relatively little of the wealth, it went into the pockets of the noble houses.

LOL, it was Edward VI. He never ruled, the country being governed by Regents, first Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset who started well but ended badly – beheaded. He was succeeded by John Dudley, Duke of Norfolk, who governed well, but was caught up in a plot to have Jane Grey, cousin to Edward and Northumberland's daughter-in-law, inherit the Crown. Mary and Elizabeth were both declared illegitimate and thus unable to succeed.

Edward may well have been the proposer of the plan, seen as the Dudley's attempt to keep the reins of power. Either way, the Privy Council proclaimed Mary as queen. Northumberland was convicted of high treason and he, too, was beheaded. He returned to Catholicism before his execution.

(according to wiki)

RJM Corbet likes this.
  10. RJM Corbet

Duh. Thanks ...
    (See how much we learn here ;))

11. muhammad_isa

..not so much priests and imams, but hierarchical authority telling people what they should believe.

12. muhammad_isa

That is right.

13. SufiPhilosophy

SufiPhilosophy Evolution by mutation has never been observed

I have to agree with the others @muhammad_isa on this point at least: Cromwell shaped modern tolerant secular Britain, true. But he was a horrible guy, especially to the Irish. He enslaved them. I think they were some of the first slaves in the Caribbean?

14. SufiPhilosophy

SufiPhilosophy Evolution by mutation has never been observed

They say Napoleon and his general Jacques Menou converted to Islam hehe. I'm not sure if it was a genuine conversion or just self-promotion by him.

Agree about King Alfred though. Best ever.