Did Most Early Christians Believe The Divinity of Christ?

Knowledge....most especially in this context....means doing.
Err .. no .. I mean in the sense of wisdom.
A person who has knowledge, but doesn't understand it, is not likely to act on it.

Knowledge can be obtained through books, travel and reflection amongst other things.
..but without G-d's permission, we won't understand.

A person who is guilty of sins, without seeking G-d's forgiveness, cannot achieve such wisdom.

Err .. no .. I mean in the sense of wisdom.
A person who has knowledge, but doesn't understand it, is not likely to act on it.
OK, but I come back to my example of making fire.

"Everybody" says they know how to make fire, there are many places to look up how to build a fire, how to contain a fire, how to exhaust a fire so one is not poisoned by the smoke, etc. And humans have had fire for hundreds of thousands of years..."of course I know how to make fire!"

This is what most people call knowledge.

But until someone can actually start a fire with only natural ingredients, they don't actually "know" how to make fire.

This would be wisdom.

Tomato is a fruit, but it isn't wise to put tomato in a fruit salad.

What religious knowledge one carries inside their noggin is worthless until it is put into practice. Practice comes from the heart, not the head.

Last edited:
Worth a note also, RMJ, is the word 'Lord' - Kyrios – used in reference to Jesus.

The use of kyrios in the New Testament has been the subject of debate among modern scholars, and three schools of thought exist on that topic:

The first is the designation to Jesus of the Old Testament attributes of God.
The reasoning is that the Septuagint was written using the word 'Kyrios', but when reading aloud the Jews pronounced Adonai, the Hebrew word for 'Lord' when they encountered the name of God. As the early Christians were primarily Greek or Aramaic speaking Jews, they would be familiar with this Septuagint implication.

The second school is that as the early Church expanded, Hellenistic influences resulted in the use of the term.

The third is that it is a translation of the Aramaic title Mari applied to Jesus. In everyday Aramaic, Mari was a very respectful form of polite address, well above "teacher" and similar to rabbi. In Greek this has at times been translated as kyrios.

Christians eventually came to interpret the Greek kyrios as representing lordship over the world.

Kyrios is a key element of the Christology of Paul. Most scholars agree that the use of kyrios, and hence the Lordship of Jesus, predated the Pauline Epistles, but Paul expanded and elaborated on that topic. More than any other title, kyrios defined the relationship between Jesus and those who believed in him as Christ: Jesus was their Lord and Master who was to be served with all their hearts and who would one day judge their actions throughout their lives.

-- wiki --
Greek Kyrios is not a title that is only, not even mainly, reserved for God. It is used to adress a person respectfully, beginning from the head of the family (usually the grandfather) in classical and Koine Greek, the word a slave or an employee used to address his master/employer, an apprentice used for his master (so, the disciples, had they spoken Greek, would naturally call him kyrios) and today the common word for Mister. It's thus even more common than the English word Lord, which is not reserved for God, either. If Paul or any other Christian said kyrios for Jesus, it needn't mean that he thinks that he is God. It can also mean master or teacher.

Paul says (1Cor 12:4-6)

Διαιρέσεις δὲ χαρισμάτων εἰσίν, τὸ δὲ αὐτὸ Πνεῦμα·
Καὶ διαιρέσεις διακονιῶν εἰσίν, καὶ ὁ αὐτὸς κύριος.
καὶ διαιρέσεις ἐνεργημάτων εἰσίν, ὁ δὲ αὐτὸς Θεός ὁ ἐνεργῶν τὰ πάντα ἐν πᾶσιν.

Now there are varieties of inspirations, but the same Spirit
and there are varieties of services, but the same Master;
and there are varieties of workings, but the same God is working all things in everyone.
He says that the activities of the members of the community are or should be united under One. We find the aspects associated with the Spirit, Jesus and God. We see the similarities to the later trinity dogma. But Kyrios is the master of the service, and only God is Theos.

the heart is the most important thing.
The heart is the main thing that matters to G!d, I can't think of anything else that compares. No one can hide their heart from G!d.

We spend so much time demarking the differences between us in our heads, and forget to see in each others' hearts where we are all so much
alike.

We also have to be careful, there are certainly hearts I have crossed paths with that I want no more to do with. But most people just want a peaceful life to nurture and enjoy a family, as G!d intended them to do.

Hang on ... That's not quite accurate.
I was just providing quotes from famous educated Catholics. Those weren't my words. But if the Catholic church claims that they made Sunday into the Lord's Day, I would believe them... because they said it. Take it up with them, not me. There are more quotes from the Catholic church claiming that they changed the day AND that the Bible nowhere demonstrates any change from the Sabbath being the Lord's Day.

Like I often say... I could do this all day.

I was just providing quotes from famous educated Catholics.
Well, a couple, and serious dubious sources, as one of them can't be traced ... and ther's a difference between opinion and dogma.

But if the Catholic church claims that they made Sunday into the Lord's Day, I would believe them... because they said it.
Oh yes, we did that, no question of that. Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1. The Lord's Day – the Day of the Resurrection.

There are more quotes from the Catholic church claiming that they changed the day AND that the Bible nowhere demonstrates any change from the Sabbath being the Lord's Day.

Like I often say... I could do this all day.
"I am the Lord of the Sabbath" (Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, and Luke 6:5. So if one gathers on the Lord's Day in remembrance of Him, logically that day is honouring the Sabbath.

At the Last Supper, Jesus says:
Matthew 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, (Gk: diakethe – among its meanings is 'testament' or 'covenant') which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (As does Mark 14:24)

Luke 1:72: To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant (diakethe)"
Luke 22:20: "This cup is the new testament (diakethe) in my blood, which is shed for you."

1 Corinthians 11:25: "This cup is the new testament (diakethe) in my blood"

The sacred scribes were in no doubt a New Testament, a New Covenant was being declared; a sacrifice to end all sacrifice, not by abrogation of the Law, but by its fulfilment, just as He had promised.

and there's a difference between opinion and dogma.
Only in matter of degree...(and why science is a religion)
At the Last Supper, Jesus says:
Matthew 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, (Gk: diakethe – among its meanings is 'testament' or 'covenant') which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (As does Mark 14:24)

Luke 1:72: To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant (diakethe)"
Luke 22:20: "This cup is the new testament (diakethe) in my blood, which is shed for you."

1 Corinthians 11:25: "This cup is the new testament (diakethe) in my blood"

The sacred scribes were in no doubt a New Testament, a New Covenant was being declared; a sacrifice to end all sacrifice, not by abrogation of the Law, but by its fulfilment, just as He had promised.
I see no point further banging on about the establishment of Sunday worship at this moment. (Doesn't mean I agree...)

That said, I fail to see how the Last Supper / First Communion validates that establishment. You're not going to like what I say next, it isn't personal but it is how I feel about the matter - this is sleight of hand, it is prestidigitation applying something that has no direct association with the fact in order to validate it. It is no different than what I have come to expect from a con man.

Looks good in print. In practice it is only to baffle and obfuscate.

To be clear, my point of view is no different towards Protestants that perform the same act. My spirit is repulsed by any who use this type of logical fallacy applied to Christianity specifically and religion in general.

Last edited:
Only in matter of degree...(and why science is a religion)

I see no point further banging on about the establishment of Sunday worship at this moment. (Doesn't mean I agree...)

That said, I fail to see how the Last Supper / First Communion validates that establishment. You're not going to like what I say next, it isn't personal but it is how I feel about the matter - this is sleight of hand, it is prestidigitation applying something that has no direct association with the fact in order to validate it. It is no different than what I have come to expect from a con man.

Looks good in print. In practice it is only to baffle and obfuscate.

To be clear, my point of view is no different towards Protestants that perform the same act. My spirit is repulsed by any who use this type of logical fallacy applied to Christianity specifically and religion in general.
I don't see a link between the covenant and Sunday service, either, but I'm not clear about what logical fallacy repulses your spirit. Can you explain?

Communion is a very sacred memorial of the sacrifice Messiah gave to humanity.

To co-opt it and attempt to use it as justification is unseemly...and that's being polite.

Christianity was indistinguishable from Judaism at the time of the Fall of the Temple. You had to be Jewish to even be a Christian...and ALL that entailed. That included having your tallywacker snipped. That's how it was at the central office in Jerusalem. To a Roman soldier passing through, Jews and Christians were one and the same, he couldn't pick one from the other in a crowd of strangers.
Christianity was a sect of Judaism at first, yes.
But I'm wondering about the choice of words for circumcision-- why that choice of words? 🤨
🤔 :oops:

The thing Christians of my acquaintance are either not aware of, or manage to belittle or dismiss, is that Jesus was the Paschal Lamb.

When did Jesus give up the ghost?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to piece the story together from the Gospels. To spell it out, Jesus gave up the ghost at the same time the Passover Lambs were being slaughtered in preparation for the High Holy Day of Passover. This is of crucial significance.

When it is written that Jesus was the Lamb, it wasn't an ordinary Lamb and an ordinary slaughter...

The Church, any Church, does not own Jesus' sacrifice. Using that as excuse for whatever manmade carte blanche is an abuse of authority.

I am surprised no one has pointed out the logical fallacies of appeal to authority, both by Thomas and myself. Can't be helped, we are discussing matters of ultimate authority, and to me there is no authority greater than G!d.

Using the Last Supper to support anything apart is closer to Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy, or maybe bait and switch. Because Jesus gave up the ghost to provide a path to salvation DOES NOT MEAN that all things done in His name are valid and acceptable. The Word tells us many will call out His name, few will enter.

Nicea has passed lately in our conversations, and another crucial change brought about by men at that time is the shift from the G!d commanded observance of Passover. Just as with the Sabbath, no one can show me in the New Testament where G!d commanded the change from the sacred Paschal observance to the Pagan spring fertility festival. Easter is not Biblical, and in fact dates long before the Christian era. I am certain there will be this early Church Father said this and that Church scholar said that...

The Church "baptized" the Pagan fertility festival in its zeal to distance from Judaism. This was no fault of Paul, this was done at Nicea by Rome.

Last edited:
@Thomas We've been knowing each other a loooong time. I consider you a friend, even if we disagree. That is the only reason I feel ok with this sparring match.

Long ago I remember answering in a thread asking about what religion would you consider if you changed?, and I said Judaism, or Shamanism.

I remember you chided me for picking Judaism because I said Jesus was a Jew.

Yet here all of these years later, that answer hasn't changed.

You've seen my extensive threads dealing with pre-historic humanity. Here now I argue my understanding of Messianic Judaism, such as it is, accepting that at least on some points maybe I am full of sh!t - but pack a lunch, its gonna be a long day.

And what I take away from Shamanism is that you and I both spend too much time inside our heads.

G!d don't give a good gal dern about what is floating around inside your noggin, He cares about what you do with that information. He cares about what is in your heart.

Its not about what you believe, it is about what you do with what you believe.

I got three fingers pointing right back at me.

Paul got that one wrong...or maybe misinterpreted, I have always gone with James on this matter:

Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Last edited:
OK. Well take that up with Jesus, they're His words.

I rather think your beef with Christianity is it's not Judaism, pure and simple. And because of that, you preclude it speaking for itself.

The thing Christians of my acquaintance are either not aware of, or manage to belittle or dismiss, is that Jesus was the Paschal Lamb.
OK, I suppose. But ignorant Christians don't se the standard.

Christ was seen as the Paschal Lamb by John the Baptist before he even began His ministry (John 1:29).

John's Gospel, in his chronology of the Crucifixion, goes to some length to establish that.

Paul asserts it, 1 Corinthians 5:7.

If Christ is our Paschal Lamb ... then ...

The Church, any Church, does not own Jesus' sacrifice. Using that as excuse for whatever manmade carte blanche is an abuse of authority.
The Church administers Jesus' sacrifice, as it has the right to do, as said by Jesus Himself. The 'whatever manmade carte blanche' I assume is you being provocative ... there's really more to the process than you might suppose.

Using the Last Supper to support anything apart is closer to Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy, or maybe bait and switch.
Really, it's not. Once Christ established Himself as our Paschal Lamb, there logically follows ...

Because Jesus gave up the ghost to provide a path to salvation DOES NOT MEAN that all things done in His name are valid and acceptable.
Quite. Some terribly things have been done in His name.

Nicea has passed lately in our conversations, and another crucial change brought about by men at that time is the shift from the G!d commanded observance of Passover. Just as with the Sabbath, no one can show me in the New Testament where G!d commanded the change from the sacred Paschal observance to the Pagan spring fertility festival.
The change was to the first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon, not determined by pagan practice.

Easter is not Biblical, and in fact dates long before the Christian era. I am certain there will be this early Church Father said this and that Church scholar said that...
The Church "baptized" the Pagan fertility festival in its zeal to distance from Judaism. This was no fault of Paul, this was done at Nicea by Rome.
Nope. Don't think so ... rather it is because Christ is our Pasch, as you point out, ergo ...

If Christ is our Paschal Lamb ... then ...
...Christians of my acquaintance are either not aware of, or manage to belittle or dismiss, that fact, as you are doing here.
The Church administers Jesus' sacrifice, as it has the right to do, as said by Jesus Himself. The 'whatever manmade carte blanche' I assume is you being provocative ... there's really more to the process than you might suppose.
Not correct. The Church has taken that upon itself with no right to do so. Burn me at the stake, my answer will not change.
Really, it's not. Once Christ established Himself as our Paschal Lamb, there logically follows ...
not anything that even remotely resembles Greek logic

it is bait and switch
Quite. Some terribly things have been done in His name.
Yeppir....and guess who was behind a great many of those occurrences?
The change was to the first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon, not determined by pagan practice.
So it just happened to line up with a Pagan Spring Fertility Festival? And we just so happen to still chase Easter bunnies and hot crossed buns? It's all a coincidence...? I don't buy it.
Nope. Don't think so ... rather it is because Christ is our Pasch, as you point out, ergo ...
Word salad sidestep...since the Catholic Church does not recognize Jesus as the *Paschal* Lamb, it is disingenuous to lay claim now when the Church refuses to even recognize the Holy Day, let alone significance thereof! (Or are you disagreeing that the shift from Passover to Easter was specifically on the docket at Nicea? which is easy enough to prove)

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with b.s....and if that don't work, riddle 'em with bullets. That has been the standard operating methodology of the Church since at least the time of Justinian, figuratively speaking. This is what I'm referring to as the 800 pound gorilla.

Until Martin Luthur, any dissent was violently put down. The only put down that failed was against the Muslims during the Crusades, all others up until Martin Luthur were politically expedient challenges that the Church viewed as threatening their stranglehold on power. The only reason you and I are even able to have this conversation is because of the Protestant Reformation, by which time the history of the Church from Constantine on had been whitewashed and mostly hidden from public consumption. I stand by my assertion that Christians remain ignorant of the history of their faith, and frankly I see you attempting to encourage that ignorance though to your credit (and I've credited you before) you are more willing than virtually all Catholics of my acquaintance to even consider the subject.

Martin Luthur only knew the Catholic Church, it was all he knew but he knew it better than most in his day. He was appalled, discouraged, disheartened and had his world turned upside down to visit the Vatican and to see firsthand what the Church had become versus what he believed it was supposed to be. Indulgences were the tip of the iceberg, the rot went to the core. The rot came from all of the Synods and Councils and political scheming behind the scenes that were not based on scripture in any more than the most oblique manner (as you are doing above)...and the common laity had no way to know any different, the teaching there was was in Latin (a foreign language to all but Italians). The poor went to Church, dropped their coins in the box, got a pat on the back from the Vicar and sent on their way believing they had done what was required of them before G!d because that is what they were told to do by those who should have known better.

Luthur is not without fault, but on a scale his faults were miniscule compared to those done in the name of the Church.

Last edited:
Back