Restrictions on non-Muslims?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
After learning that non-Muslims are not allowed into Mecca, I was curious as to what other restrictions may apply to non-Muslims within Islam?

Are there any more locations I should be restricted to visit? And what sort of restrictions might I expect if visiting a mosque?

Anything else I should be well aware of before I ever visit the Arab countries?

Something I take issue with in this case....
"Arab" seems to be used interchangably with "Islam" more and more in the west. A lot of the restrictions in Arab countries placed on non-muslims don't exist in other parts of the Muslim world. Everyone who is Arab is not muslim, and everyone who is Muslim is not Arab, nor do they support an Arab lifestyle or embrace its cultural values. I don't think a lot of people take the time to consider this.
Most rules and regulations I've seen at this point are regional and cultural applications rather than absolute law.
Just a thought.

Exactly, the Iranians are not Arabs.. They are modern day Persians forgot there name again? I personally would love to visit the Middle East but I don't feel welcomed on a personal physiological level as a western Christian. I have visited most of Israel, Palestine mainly for religious purpose and a lot of Egypt.

I said:
After learning that non-Muslims are not allowed into Mecca, I was curious as to what other restrictions may apply to non-Muslims within Islam?

Are there any more locations I should be restricted to visit? And what sort of restrictions might I expect if visiting a mosque?

Salaamu Alyckum all
I, Brian ,the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) allow Christian delegations not only to come and talk to him about Islam but, he allowed them to stay and pray in their own way too. This is Islamic compassion. Doctor Muzzamil Siddiqui, President of ISNA, also wrote a paper in this response agreed to allow the non-Muslims to come to the Mosque. We want to make sure of several things as safeguards. The first is that people do not come in the prayer area. The second is that the women should dress in modesty.

remember that we as Muslims must be pure or clean by "Wada" before inter the Mosque and wear suitable clothes also our visitors must do that .

But the behaviors in Saudi Arabia government (not people ) is not from Islamic teaching .I know that in UAE their is Al Jomairah mosque that non muslims can inter it and ask about Islam , Also in Amman The King Abdullah Mosque non Muslims are welcome to inter it and ask about anything they want .also Jordan full of christianity site as well as Islamic site , in many Arab countries their are Christians Arab and Muslims Arab live together as brothers without ant broblems so you are all welcomed in most of them .

Thanks to all

But the behaviors in Saudi Arabia government (not people ) is not from Islamic teaching .
Why does the Islamic society not protest agaisn't this? Do they accpet it?

Postmaster said:
Why does the Islamic society not protest agaisn't this? Do they accpet it?
Actually,The Islamic society control by political Systems which supported by USA to complete certain Agenda ,may be now they finished the assignment of them and USA try to change them and put new political systems for the next task . their weren't one Islamic society in our countries and this is for political reasons .you can't take idea about Islam from these countries , no country applied the right Islam .

thanks

But, how can a government be slightly off side to Islam? Because Islam and politics don't mix well. Also, you would have to be Muslim to be part of the government in an Islamic country? Just like in the west where you will never see a black president I suppose. I know that America has a strong hold on many Islam countries, governments. But I don't think they are all too bothered, especially the Saudis, Americas best friends they hold billions of dollars in US stocks and investments. All due respect but I feel some Islamic mainly Arab countries have sold themselves regardless of the views of Islam and the people.

Hello :)

I read this thread with great interest. I have been fortunate enough to have hosted visits by many people who were not Muslim (meaning not only Christians of diverse sects, but Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, etc.) to mosques and other sites of interest in the Near East and Asia. Depending on the Culture in the region where the visit took place, individuals wore disposable galoshes or removed their shoes and were given slippers when entering a mosque. Every area was open to the visitors, including the prayer area. Imams or anyone there to give information and guidance were available to answer any questions the visitors had. As a result, many misconceptions about Islam as practiced in these particular countries were clarified. The only ban on individuals to the prayer area was during prayer times, when they were asked to withdraw so the group prayer could be performed. Also women were asked to cover their hair and everyone was asked to dress conservatively when visiting the mosques.

The restriction from the Haram (The Holy Pilgrimage region including Mecca) is the only restriction to visitors who are interested in the religion and the culture of Islam.

I agree with the point that was made about Islam being equated with the Arab states alone. There are Arabs of the Jewish faith in Iraq and Iran, as well are Arabs of various Christian denominations. As we have seen in footage from the devastated Tsunami region, there are also large populations of Muslims living side by side with Hindus, Christians, and Buddhists in countries like Indonesia. I find many restrictions to be culturally based rather than mandated by Islamic law.
Peace

Many thanks for the comments, and also welcome to CR, Seekeraftertruth. :)

I was actually aware of the distinction of Arab vs Muslim - I used the term because of I was thinking in terms of Egypt across Palestine to Jordan, where I figured the cultural differences in approaches to Islam might be less culturally different than, say, Indonesia or Nigeria.

A cultural question as much as anything, as I appreciate cultural factors may mould even religious ideas in different ways.

Another question about Mosques - isn't there traditionally a women's gallery? Would visitors be allowed to see such areas outside of prayer times? And are they designed any differently from the male areas?

I said:
Another question about Mosques - isn't there traditionally a women's gallery? And are they designed any differently from the male areas?
Assalam-o-Alaikum Brian,
The Saudi government does not allow non-muslims to enter the city of Madinah either. Masjid An-Nabwee (The Prophet's Mosque) is there.
In general, you can go to a mosque.. just dress conservatively. Other posters have explained this. Funny thing i once heard a christian preacher say that he thought that maybe chickens were being slaughtered as part of some ritual:rolleyes:. Misconceptions are widespread. I would be overjoyed if a non-muslim wanted to visit the mosque so that atleast he doesnt think that animals are slaughtered during prayer.:D I think he was surprised cause it is so different from a church. No music for one thing... just people standing in rows doing what the imam is doing. The Quran being recited at certain times... ah, yes, the beauty of the human voice. And the duration is not particularly long either.
Women's gallery? I dont know what that exactly means. There are basically two places women can pray in the mosque.. depends on how it is constructed. This is what i know:
1. They pray in the same area as the men. If space permits, after the rows of men, they can pray behind the men. Note that in this case, there will be no men in the rows of the women. But if space does not permit this latter situation and men have to be in the same rows as the women, then a screen must be put between the men and women. The screen can be a simple thing like a curtain. This latter situation is what occurs in the Masjid Al-Haram in Makkah (at the center of which is the Ka'bah). The screens there i think are large erected plastic boards. dont know for sure the material, never touched it to make sure.
2. Women pray seperately. In this case, the praying area is completely seperate...say, on the upper level of the mosque. Entrances are seperate. Islam requires that the facilities for the men and women for praying as well as for ablution be equally good.
Would visitors be allowed to see such areas outside of prayer times?
hmm.. Dont see why not.
Hope this helped.

Thanks again - and a real shame that Medina is closed - I had really hoped to travel some of the routes of early Islamic history at some point.

I said:
Salaamu alyckum
I, Brian, there are something which is prohibited to do in Islamic or Arabic countries, even If you are Muslim like drinking Alcohol in a streets or outdoors, and wearing unsuitable dress.

Simply, you can follow the Arabic parable " your freedom would be finished when the freedom of others was starting ".

Thanks

Back