Questions about the Prophet and Islam

Indogenes

Reaction score
Salaam,
I am not sure if my questions have already been answered elsewhere on this forum. If they are, I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the specific thread.

I have read the biography of Prohpet Mohammed, but was not sure what religion or faith he followed prior to his founding Islam. I could not find any definitive answer while researching on the Internet. Can someone shed some light on this?

The second question pertains to what the origin/reason is for Muslims' belief in the Old Testament of Judaism and the New Testament of Christianity. Did Prophet Muhammad himself testify to his faith in them, and does the Quran mention them? Apart from the Quran, are the Old and New testaments also required to be read by practicing Muslims?

I hope these questions don't offend any Muslims. Blame them on my curiosity.:)

Indogenes said:
Walaikum salam wa rahmatullah Indogenes,
I am not sure if my questions have already been answered elsewhere on this forum. If they are, I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the specific thread.
Dont know.. kind of new here myself
I have read the biography of Prohpet Mohammed, but was not sure what religion or faith he followed prior to his founding Islam. I could not find any definitive answer while researching on the Internet. Can someone shed some light on this?
If there was such a thing, it would have been mentioned in his biography. He never worshipped idols which is what he saw people doing around him as he grew up. Ill see what i can find but i dont recall that he followed any particular religion per say. Hopefully someone else here can shed some more light.
The second question pertains to what the origin/reason is for Muslims' belief in the Old Testament of Judaism and the New Testament of Christianity. Did Prophet Muhammad himself testify to his faith in them, and does the Quran mention them?
The reason is the Quran itself. The Quran confirms all revelations that came before it. BUT we know, by name, only 4 revelations i.e. Zabur [The Psalms of the Prophet David(peace be upon him)], Torah [The Law given to the Prophet Moses(peace be upon him)], Injeel [the Gospel given to the Prophet Jesus(peace be upon him)] and then Quran,the final revelation, given to the Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon him). yes, there were others but by name we only know of these four.
Yes, these are mentioned in the Quran. As far as Muslims go, we consider the Quran to also be God's Word. Ofcourse, the Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon him) testified that these were the previous revelations cause thats what God had revealed to him.
"Those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the Law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper."
[Quran, 7:157]
It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah's will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear me, and sell not my signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers.[Quran, 5:44]
And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah. [Quran, 5:46]
We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms. [Quran, 4:163]
Also, you can see 3:3-4, 17:55, 21:105 etc.
Apart from the Quran, are the Old and New testaments also required to be read by practicing Muslims?
No, it is not required because the OT and NT are not to be followed now, only the Quran is to be followed as we believe it to be the Final Testament, if you will:).
Your questions are welcome:) .

Indogenes said:
Salaam,

Salaamu Alyckum

Indogenes, you are welcome in Islam part of this forum and welcome to ask any questions about Islam, we are interesting to answer any question as much as we can.
The Messenger of Allah usually went to the Cave of Hira. He would remain there for several nights in a row, having taken along with him enough food to last for that time. He used to worship and pray in the manner of his ancestor, Ibrahim, the Hanifiyyah, and followed the pure human need to turn to Allah.

Thanks

thipps said:
The reason is the Quran itself. The Quran confirms all revelations that came before it. BUT we know, by name, only 4 revelations i.e. Zabur [The Psalms of the Prophet David(peace be upon him)], Torah [The Law given to the Prophet Moses(peace be upon him)], Injeel [the Gospel given to the Prophet Jesus(peace be upon him)] and then Quran,the final revelation, given to the Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon him). yes, there were others but by name we only know of these four.
Salam Thipps,
I appreciate your taking time to answer my questions and providing quotations. If you do find answer to my question on the Prophet's early religion, please post it. Thanks!

Friend said:
The Messenger of Allah usually went to the Cave of Hira. He would remain there for several nights in a row, having taken along with him enough food to last for that time. He used to worship and pray in the manner of his ancestor, Ibrahim, the Hanifiyyah, and followed the pure human need to turn to Allah.

Thanks
Friend,
Thanks for your response. I'm just trying to get a feel for the social/religious background of the Prophet prior to his receiving the divine revelations.

Indogenes said:
Friend,
Thanks for your response. I'm just trying to get a feel for the social/religious background of the Prophet prior to his receiving the divine revelations.
Salaamu Alyckum

Indogenes ,You are welcome to ask any question come in your mind about Islam and prophet Mohameed (puh), we try to answer it as possible as we can.
Thanks for thanks

Back