Smoke on Mount Sinai!

B

Bandit

Smoke on Mount Sinai!

No one knows for sure where Mt Sinai is so if possible lets keep this to what happened there as I see what happened being more important than the place it was, though the place is welcome to be discussed also.

The passages reveal God in a magnificant way. If you were Moses how would you have reacted?
Consider also the way God has revealed himself to us today through Jesus and filling us with His spirit, verses the way God worked in the OT.
Consider not just anyone could go up into the Mountain or even touch the mountain and that this was at the time of the 10 Commandments.

Some say it was just a volcano and some say it was a thunderstorm. I say it was the spirit of Almighty God:) collected himself there to speak to the children of Israel. I do not believe it is a fairy tale.

These are some of the scriptures but there are others. Take your time with it and try to get the best picture you can and ponder what happened on Mt Sinai. What was all that smoke?
Since no one can be sure YET, and that I am aware of where Mt Sinai is located then we do not know for sure, but we can still ask God to reveal and open His word for interpretation. And when the time is right we will know.:)

If you guys find a nice website bring that along too.

Exodous Chapter 19 1-25

Ex.24:12
24:12And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
24:13And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God.
24:14And he said unto the elders, Tarry ye here for us, until we come again unto you: and, behold, Aaron and Hur are with you: if any man have any matters to do, let him come unto them.
24:15And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount.
24:16And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.
24:17And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
24:18And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights. Deut.5:22These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.
5:23And it came to pass, when ye heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, (for the mountain did burn with fire,) that ye came near unto me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
5:24And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath shewed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.
5:25Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.
5:26For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
5:27 Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.
5:28And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.
5:29O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Deut. Chapter 10

Hebrews12:18For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
12:19And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
12:20(For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
12:21And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
12:22But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

Exodous Chapter 18 There is a nice overview here if anyone does not know what Moses was about.

SMOKE 7008 qiytowr kee-tore' or qiytor {kee-tore'}; from 6999; a fume, i.e. cloud:--smoke, vapour.

6225 `ashan aw-shan' a primitive root; to smoke, whether literal or figurative:--be angry (be on a) smoke. 6226 `ashen aw-shane' from 6225; smoky:--smoking.

6227 `ashan aw-shawn' from 6225; smoke, literally or figuratively (vapor, dust, anger):--smoke(-ing).

2586 kapnos kap-nos' of uncertain affinity; smoke:--smoke.

According to my studies poor old Moses made three trips up that mountain
It was at that time he lost his right to enter the promise land also he had it rough if you ask me.

I would like to know how others view the signifigince of those three trips
why it wasnt all done at once ?

Great thread I love the OT :)

I know he went up twice. Once for the original tablets and once for the new tablets to replace the broken ones. We have to look again on the third time what that was for.:) Maybe it was for some other laws?
What was the first the second and third trip?
I am not sure, but it seems like one of the others went with Moses on one of the trips into the smoke.

Are you sure it was the Mt. Sinai where he lost it for the promised land? Or was that when he smote the rock? at a different time. At any rate, Moses did indeed have a very rough time.

I am real bad with time lines and dates so this is kind of a new one for me.
I just cant see someone going into a mountain voluntarily for 40 days with volcanic ash and smoke spewing out to that magnitude with no water or food. So I think there was more to the smoke, cloud, trumpet voice and fire than just a volcano or thunderstorm.
Later it says the writings were done by the finger of God and that is what Moses came back with.
The smoke originated for seven days before Moses went up into it and God called him into it.

So, the study is new for me even though I have known of Moses my entire life. Something attracted me to this a couple of months ago to understand more. Not my own understanding but what God would have me to understand.

Thanks Basstian. I have enjoyed your postings too. You seem like a man of great faith and that is what we need to make it in.:)

I am putting this up here now so I will have it for later.

"While He yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: hear ye Him" (vs. 5). The mention of the "bright cloud" here is deeply significant, the more so as it was out of it that the Voice of God was heard speaking. This was the "Cloud" which had been withdrawn from Israel centuries before but which now suddenly appeared again. This was the "Cloud" in which Jehovah appeared of old--the Cloud of the Shekinah glory. It was the "Cloud" which filled the Tabernacle--"Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the Tabernacle" (Ex. 40:34). This was the "Cloud" which guided Israel throughout their wilderness wanderings--"And when the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the children of Israel went forward in all their journeys: but if the cloud were not taken up, then they journeyed not till the day that it was taken up" (Ex. 40:36, 37). This was the "Cloud" in which Jehovah appeared in the Holy of Holies upon the mercy-seat (Lev. 16:2). This was the "Cloud" which filled the Temple of Solomon (1 Kings 8:10). Little wonder then that the disciples "fell on their faces and were sore afraid" (vs. 7)! The appearing of the Shekinah "Cloud" on the mount of transfiguration was the intimation that it shall be visible to Israel again in the Millennial Kingdom. That it will be is further evident from the prophecy of Is. 4:5--"And the Lord will create upon every dwelling-place of Mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for above all the glory shall be a defense"--the context here, shows that this has reference to the Millennium. See further Ezek. 43.

I am seeing this smoke/cloud/fire as the same thing all long while they journeyed, here you see it again a little different at the baptism of Jesus. It was not just on My Sinai. :confused:

Here is the link for someone else here who was looking at the transfiguration.
http://www.raptureready.com/resource/pink/p3-1-7.html

Back