What is Buddhism's take on losing your pet?

I'd like to hear how Buddhism handles pets. Do you avoid attachment from the beginning? What if the pet has to be 'put down'? Isn't it against Buddhism to end the life of a living thing? What if your pet is suffering?
I can't claim to avoid attachment, maybe I try to avoid clinging since all things are impermanent. I am still in a dualistic mindset, clearly! If another sentient being such as a pet is in distress which cannot be removed or ameliorated, allowing a vet to end that suffering can be the greatest act of compassion possible. I have been in that position, the right choice is based on love, not on a selfish desire. Buddhism is said to fly with two wings - compassion and wisdom.

I can't claim to avoid attachment, maybe I try to avoid clinging since all things are impermanent. I am still in a dualistic mindset, clearly! If another sentient being such as a pet is in distress which cannot be removed or ameliorated, allowing a vet to end that suffering can be the greatest act of compassion possible. I have been in that position, the right choice is based on love, not on a selfish desire. Buddhism is said to fly with two wings - compassion and wisdom.
Here's my problem with impermanence. The theory completely falls apart when you say "Impermanence is Permanent" (Zaim Alzzalam)

Here's my problem with impermanence. The theory completely falls apart when you say "Impermanence is Permanent" (Zaim Alzzalam)

So don't say it. :).
How about Nothing is permanent? The only constant is that all things change?

Oh goody! Let's hear it for eternal suffering! (How long can you cling to it?)
It's perfectly healthy to suffer through grief from the passing of a pet. It's not a one day thing, it takes days, weeks, even months before your mind/body begins the healing process.

Permanance is unstable. There, ya happy now?
Not at all. Impermanence is permanent, obviously, so therefore there is no such thing as impermanence. That something is unstable (what isn't?) has no bearing on permanence or impermeanence.

I'd like to hear how Buddhism handles pets. Do you avoid attachment from the beginning? What if the pet has to be 'put down'? Isn't it against Buddhism to end the life of a living thing? What if your pet is suffering?
You should never artificially or deliberately try to become detached from your pets or your loved ones. However, if you are detached because life has taught you to love everyone instead of just your near and dear ones, then such detachment is safe and real. Because when you love everyone then you no longer rely on just two or three people for comfort, pleasure, companionship or entertainment. The whole world is yours. But you must honestly examine if this is the case with you. There is no reason for feeling inferior if this is not the case with you. Life takes it's own sweet time to teach everyone. If, however, this is not the case with you, then becominhg detached from your pet or your friend or wife/husband/parent can be very harmful for your development.

"Impermanence is permanent" sounds contradictory because this term is just a play of words not concepts. Conceptua;ly it is said that life is impermanent, and that sounds noncontradictory because of the choice of words. But when the word choice is "impermanence is permanent" then this leads to contradiction just because of the way language is. So, there is no contradiction at the level of the concept of impermanence, just at the level of the specific language used to express that idea.

I was of the understanding that the original Buddhism was free of theistic thinking, I guess I'm wrong. It's simply another theistic religion with a few nice teachings.
I think the original Buddhism was an outgrowth of Hinduism with beliefs in many gods. There are other schools of Buddhism which are more fully nontheistic. I can't clarify with much detail or description as my knowledge of Buddhism is rather general, not yet very deep.

I have met people who view god as a 'strict dad'. We all know strict dads, one kid gets the smacks and the other gets off lightly. He/she knows how to handle Dad, say the right things, and so forth. One colleague of mine, from a deeply religious family, was quite open about it. He mixed with pimps and drug dealers, abused women, and was generally vile by his own standards. His attitude was, I am young, I am having fun, and sooner or later I will settle down and make it all right with god. He was in effect saying that he had done some sort of deal with god.

Buddhism does not accept this. You do, you pay. It is as simple and fair as this. There may or may not be a god, but at this level god is not required. Growing up and facing facts is what is required.

Back