What is Buddhism's take on losing your pet?

Snoopy

zennish
Reaction score
I'd like to hear how Buddhism handles pets. Do you avoid attachment from the beginning? What if the pet has to be 'put down'? Isn't it against Buddhism to end the life of a living thing? What if your pet is suffering?
I can't claim to avoid attachment, maybe I try to avoid clinging since all things are impermanent. I am still in a dualistic mindset, clearly! If another sentient being such as a pet is in distress which cannot be removed or ameliorated, allowing a vet to end that suffering can be the greatest act of compassion possible. I have been in that position, the right choice is based on love, not on a selfish desire. Buddhism is said to fly with two wings - compassion and wisdom.

'Amir Alzzalam

Šayṭānist
Reaction score
I can't claim to avoid attachment, maybe I try to avoid clinging since all things are impermanent. I am still in a dualistic mindset, clearly! If another sentient being such as a pet is in distress which cannot be removed or ameliorated, allowing a vet to end that suffering can be the greatest act of compassion possible. I have been in that position, the right choice is based on love, not on a selfish desire. Buddhism is said to fly with two wings - compassion and wisdom.
Here's my problem with impermanence. The theory completely falls apart when you say "Impermanence is Permanent" (Zaim Alzzalam)

Snoopy

zennish
Reaction score
Here's my problem with impermanence. The theory completely falls apart when you say "Impermanence is Permanent" (Zaim Alzzalam)

So don't say it. :).
How about Nothing is permanent? The only constant is that all things change?

'Amir Alzzalam

Šayṭānist
Reaction score
Oh goody! Let's hear it for eternal suffering! (How long can you cling to it?)
It's perfectly healthy to suffer through grief from the passing of a pet. It's not a one day thing, it takes days, weeks, even months before your mind/body begins the healing process.

'Amir Alzzalam

Šayṭānist
Reaction score
Permanance is unstable. There, ya happy now?
Not at all. Impermanence is permanent, obviously, so therefore there is no such thing as impermanence. That something is unstable (what isn't?) has no bearing on permanence or impermeanence.