Platonism

Misology as greatest evil -- so said Plato, as mentioned in this 2020 article:

https://theimaginativeconservative....tion-contemporary-misology-d-c-schindler.html

The evident chaos of the contemporary “cancel culture”—which is coming to resemble something like a cyber version of The Terror in late 18th-century France during which the revolutionaries began cutting off even their own heads—is due to an abuse of language. There is a profound sort of cultural suicide occurring in this phenomenon.

There is a profound sort of cultural suicide occurring in this phenomenon.
What exactly are you speaking of?

Surely no upset about pedophiles and rapists losing their positions?

And not that old slavers and bigots getting asterisks next to their footnotes?

Or maybe there is some other profound cultural suicide you bemoan?

What exactly are you speaking of?

The potential dangers of new technologies and the new way we relate to reality because of them.

you provide your students with the appearance of wisdom, not with its reality. Your invention will enable them to hear many things without being properly taught, and they will imagine that they have come to know much while for the most part they will know nothing. And they will be difficult to get along with, since they will merely appear to be wise instead of really being so. (Phaedrus, 275a-b)​

Lol...sounds like grumpy old men speaking of abacus as cheating....or my teacher saying "You aren't going to have a calculator in your pocket"

I think internet 'soundbite' format and half-truth misinformation is one of the greatest problems of our age

I think internet 'soundbite' format and half-truth misinformation is one of the greatest problems of our age
Nah those are 1st world problems relating to privilege.

Our real issue is hate and ignorance...wealth disparity and envy...

When you do not take an interest in the affairs of government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools.

Plato

Back