Middlemarch, ending

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is the end (no spoiler) of George Eliot's classic Middlemarch, a poignant celebration of quiet lives:

"... for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

@Thomas
Have you read HG Wells The History of Mr Polly? I've nearly finished it. What a charming story, imo

I have also recently finished The Call of the Wild by Jack London -- an unforgettable classic. Also The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame -- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn chapter is just wonderful writing.

Last edited:
Shall we move this thread to the media Books forum?

@RJM Just Kindled The History of Mr Polly Thanks for the recommdend

The Call of the Wild – Gosh, I read Jack London years ago, that and White Fang.

The Wind in the Willows
is on a bookcase somewhere ...

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Just read that chapter online. Yes, spell-binding.

Some time ago I read The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. I recall saying at the time it is one of those books that haunts, but you can't put your finger on why. It leaves an impression, but you're not sure what the impression is ... or where it was left, exactly ...

Neil Gaiman's review said: 'The Buried Giant does what important books do: it remains in the mind long after it has been read, refusing to leave.'
That's exactly what it did. Its theme is memory and forgetting, and it's like the book has implanted a memory you're aware of, but can't quite reach.

Reactions: RJM
Thanks @Thomas I'll look for it

Following up on your observation that special writing can just be about ordinary people and events

Mostly I pick up books from charity shops and stick them in the bookcase, until eventually I get to reading, and think ... this is good

Last edited:
Back