4 essential Christian doctrines

Dor

Bible Thumper
Reaction score
Just a couple posts the last few days have baffled me so I want to see how everyone feels about what are "the essential doctrines".

1.the diety of Christ...to include: Jesus is God in the flesh, Jesus is the proper object of faith, trinity(the hard one for most people), monotheism and the hypostatic union.

2.salvation is by grace.

3.the physical resurrection of Christ.

4.The gospel message which in its entirety is that Jesus is God in flesh, who died for sins, rose from the dead, and freely gives the gift of eternal life to those who believe.

now if I left anything out please feel free to add to it or if I have anything wrong feel free to tell me and remember I just put the essentials (argueably the ones that define the very word Christian) at least in my opinion.

1.the diety of Christ...to include: Jesus is God in the flesh, Jesus is the proper object of faith, trinity(the hard one for most people), monotheism and the hypostatic union.

NOT Jesus is God in the flesh, but Jesus is God manifested in the flesh. The deity of Jesus is because God gave it to Jesus to be the head over all things to the church.

2.salvation is by grace.
YES

3.the physical resurrection of Christ.
YES

4.The gospel message which in its entirety is that Jesus is God in flesh, who died for sins, rose from the dead, and freely gives the gift of eternal life to those who believe.

It goes death (repentance of the heart AND remission of sins) buried (water baptism), rose from the dead (the spirit of God in us, the same spirit that raised Jesus from the dead will also quicken our mortal bodies.)
1DEATH
2BURIAL
3RESURRECTION

I don't believe Jesus is God in the flesh Incarnation (in the womb) like most of them do.
So that cannot apply to all who believe Jesus is the Messiah.
-i think i have said this 10 times since I have been here, but it keeps coming up so what am I to do:D

They that worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth not in the flesh. They that come to Him must believe that He is (FAITH)

It really is pretty simple at least it seems that way to me.:)

John 1 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.[/font] [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.[/font]

Colossians 1 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.[/font]

Exodus 3 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.[/font] John 8 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Colossians 2 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. [/font]

Philippians 2 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. [/font]

Jesus was worshipped:
Matthew 2 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.[/font] Hebrews 1 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.[/font] [/font]

was prayed too:
Acts 7 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. 60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep. [/font]

John 10 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]30 I and my Father are one. [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.[/font] John 12 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.[/font] [/font]

1 Corinthians 15 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:[/font]
John 3 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.[/font]
Romans 5 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:[/font] Galatians 2 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.[/font]

Seems pretty simple to me too :)

Bandit.. I have a question. I was reading up on stuff and I came across something that reminds me of what you believe could you tell me if this is what it is?

Modalism

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity which states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three consecutive modes, or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son. After Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.
Present day groups that hold to this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Faithfulservant said:
Bandit.. I have a question. I was reading up on stuff and I came across something that reminds me of what you believe could you tell me if this is what it is?

Modalism

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity which states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three consecutive modes, or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son. After Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.
Present day groups that hold to this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Hey Faithful,
No. LOL :)
But I know what this doctrine is. they think God the father became the son in the womb , then later revealed himself as the holy ghost IN us. The UPC came out of trinitatian background (maybe 70 years ago?) when they saw the name of Jesus in revelation.
I do believe baptism is in obedience to the scripture and should not be forbidden, but repentance and the filling of the Holy Ghost can happen without a water baptism.
I am seeing God the father and the holy Ghost as the same spirit (single) all the time.
I am seeing the Son with a spirit of a man who entered the Kingdom the same way we all do, yet his purpose in the Kingdom is different than ours.
That teaching of the UPC and the Apostolic churches wont work all the way through. They see only ONE entity. The trinity see 3 entities. I am seeing two entities. Father and Son made one by the one spirit of God the father.

I see Jesus (as a man) as a mediator between God and man, similiar to the high priests in the old testament. Yet Jesus currently is in his immortal state from the resurrection. The same way God raised Jesus, we also shall be raised to immortality.

The trinity and this modilist, as they call it, both teach God became a man through the womb.
I see Jesus as a man that God created in the womb and that Jesus had his own spirit of a man (and was given the spirit of God at Jordan making Jesus s Son of God). I do see Jesus as God, but not in the same sense as he was always God, but more like a reflection or image of the invisible God and it started within the time frame from Jordan to the present. Not at his birth in the womb.

It is a tricky one:) and not easy to grasp.

I know these questions have been occupying the Church since the time of Christ, and will doubtless sustain a long and entertaining thread. But does it serve any purpose? As far as I'm concerned, Jesus said - more or less - love God with your whole being and love your neighbour as much as you love yourself. Subject to that, I don't think it matters much what you believe as long as it doesn't run counter to these instructions. Surely, in the words of the poet e e cummings, "Love is the whole and more than all".

with respect,
VC

Virtual_Cliff said:
I know these questions have been occupying the Church since the time of Christ, and will doubtless sustain a long and entertaining thread. But does it serve any purpose? As far as I'm concerned, Jesus said - more or less - love God with your whole being and love your neighbour as much as you love yourself. Subject to that, I don't think it matters much what you believe as long as it doesn't run counter to these instructions. Surely, in the words of the poet e e cummings, "Love is the whole and more than all".

with respect,
VC
I think it does serve a purpose. By that I mean, that some want to grasp a better understanding of Gods plan with man. We can never understand God in His fulness, but we can understand some things when we look closer at Jesus.
Or I should say look at different perspectives or possibilites of it.

Jesus himself, has been the hardest mystery for the church to explain and comprehend. We cannot explain God, but we can kind of see God better in the man Jesus.

This mystery of the godhead really has nothing to do with salvation and eternal life, but some think it does. It is nice once in awhile to discuss it. Especially here at Comparitve Religion, because no one judges each other.

"Love is the whole and more than all".
This is the most important part VC:)

Just my tow cents worth if its really worth two cents
Is Jesus God ???
tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Key Word Mystery

question 2 Saved By Grace .......God I HOPE SO I dont deserve what he went through for me so it has to be Grace

question 3 is He alive His Grace wouldnt do me much good if He wasnt yes he Dont touch me for I have not yet asscended to the Father? Dont know what that means really but pretty sure it plays here some how

4 I hope this message will continue to be preached this way as it is a simple thing to have salvation.

Back