Does anyone have any insight on Tubal-Cain and his daughter?

moralorel

Reaction score
This may seem like an odd place to ask this question, but a few years ago I came across a book about the history of Wicca and "pagan" beliefs. The author claimed that Tubal-Cain was the author of witchcraft and that his daughter survived the flood and continued on with his teachings. I bring this up because I was talking to someone recently who expanded on this story, yet had no sources to back it up. He claimed that many know this story and that his daughter was the inspiration for the story of Lilith. He even speculated that she was a part of Mesopotamian history and truly did exist. She supposedly wore a hat that resembled a mountain with a serpent wrapped around it. I don't remember the name of the book and when I look online I find some odd stories, but nothing resembling the book I read. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? I wish I remembered the name of the book. I don't know why, but I find the story fascinating.

The only book that I know of is "The Forge of Tubal Cain" Which you have probably found while searching. I have a vague feeling that Doreen Valiente may have covered the subject in one or more of her books but I cannot be sure.

Just did a little digging myself. "The Pillars of Tubal Cain" is a very well-received book, but is incredibly expensive. Could this be what you are looking for?

Just did a little digging myself. "The Pillars of Tubal Cain" is a very well-received book, but is incredibly expensive. Could this be what you are looking for?
That looks correct. I was reading it at a used book store. Should have purchased it when I had the chance! I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the help!

Hi @moralorel – I found this on JSTOR:

On Tubal-Cain:
Alchemical writers claim alchemy is handed down from major Biblical figures. Eventually, the received wisdom was that alchemy was revealed to Adam by God.

Genesis describes Tubal Cain as "a forger of every cutting instrument of brass and iron" (Genesis 4:22), in other words, the father of the smith's craft.

Johann Ludwig Hannemann (1640-1724) wrote a thesis about him entitled "Tubal-Cain Standing at the Furnace".

He figures in a book entitled "Age Old Chymical Work" (pub. 1734), a work of unknown provenance, by an otherwise unknown Jewish alchemist Abraham Eleazer, supposedly regarded as derivative of a work on alchemy by Nicholas Flame! (1330-1418).

+++

On Lilith
The earliest mention of a she-demon whose name is similar to that of Lilith is found in the Sumerian king list which dates from around 2400BC. It states that the father of the great hero Gilgamesh, was a Lillu-demon. The Lillu was one of four demons belonging to a vampire or incubi-succubae class. The others were Li/itu (Lilith), a she-demon; Ardat Lili (or Lilith's handmaid) who visited men by night and bore them ghostly children; and lrdu Lili her male counterpart who used to visit women and beget children by them. Originally these were storm-demons, but, because of a mistaken etymology, they came to be regarded as night-demons.

Lilith's epithet was "the beautiful maiden," but she was believed to have been a harlot and a vampire who, once she chose a lover, would never let him go and never really gave him real satisfaction. She was unable to bear children and had no milk in her breasts.

According to the Sumerian epic Gilgamnesh and the Hullupu Tree, (c 2000BC.) Lilith built her house in the midst of the willow tree planted on the bank of the Euphrates in the days of creation. A dragon nested at the base of the tree, and the Zu-bird placed his young in its crown. Gilgamesh slays the dragon with his huge bronze axe, whereupon the Zu-bird flees with his young to the mountain, and Lilith, terror-stricken, tears down her house and escapes ro the desert.

A Babylonian terracona relief, contemporary with the text, shows Lilith as slender, well shaped, beautiful, and nude, with wings and owl-feet. She stands erect on two reclining lions which are turned away from each other and are flanked by owls. On her head she wears a cap embellished by several pairs of horns. In her hand she holds a ring-and-rod combination. Evidently, she is no longer a lowly she-demon, but a goddess who tames wild beasts and, as shown by the owls, rules by night.

+++

The Tubal-Cain/Lilith connection is because Tubal-Cain had a sister, Naamah, and in the Zohar Na'amah (or Naamah – Hebrew: נַעֲמָה; "pleasant") is a demon, who might have originated from a branch myth of the Biblical Naamah, or became conflated with her?

I don't think there's any demonic attribution to Naamah sister of Tubal-Cain?

Hi @moralorel – I found this on JSTOR:

On Tubal-Cain:
Alchemical writers claim alchemy is handed down from major Biblical figures. Eventually, the received wisdom was that alchemy was revealed to Adam by God.

Genesis describes Tubal Cain as "a forger of every cutting instrument of brass and iron" (Genesis 4:22), in other words, the father of the smith's craft.

Johann Ludwig Hannemann (1640-1724) wrote a thesis about him entitled "Tubal-Cain Standing at the Furnace".

He figures in a book entitled "Age Old Chymical Work" (pub. 1734), a work of unknown provenance, by an otherwise unknown Jewish alchemist Abraham Eleazer, supposedly regarded as derivative of a work on alchemy by Nicholas Flame! (1330-1418).

+++

On Lilith
The earliest mention of a she-demon whose name is similar to that of Lilith is found in the Sumerian king list which dates from around 2400BC. It states that the father of the great hero Gilgamesh, was a Lillu-demon. The Lillu was one of four demons belonging to a vampire or incubi-succubae class. The others were Li/itu (Lilith), a she-demon; Ardat Lili (or Lilith's handmaid) who visited men by night and bore them ghostly children; and lrdu Lili her male counterpart who used to visit women and beget children by them. Originally these were storm-demons, but, because of a mistaken etymology, they came to be regarded as night-demons.

Lilith's epithet was "the beautiful maiden," but she was believed to have been a harlot and a vampire who, once she chose a lover, would never let him go and never really gave him real satisfaction. She was unable to bear children and had no milk in her breasts.

According to the Sumerian epic Gilgamnesh and the Hullupu Tree, (c 2000BC.) Lilith built her house in the midst of the willow tree planted on the bank of the Euphrates in the days of creation. A dragon nested at the base of the tree, and the Zu-bird placed his young in its crown. Gilgamesh slays the dragon with his huge bronze axe, whereupon the Zu-bird flees with his young to the mountain, and Lilith, terror-stricken, tears down her house and escapes ro the desert.

A Babylonian terracona relief, contemporary with the text, shows Lilith as slender, well shaped, beautiful, and nude, with wings and owl-feet. She stands erect on two reclining lions which are turned away from each other and are flanked by owls. On her head she wears a cap embellished by several pairs of horns. In her hand she holds a ring-and-rod combination. Evidently, she is no longer a lowly she-demon, but a goddess who tames wild beasts and, as shown by the owls, rules by night.

+++

The Tubal-Cain/Lilith connection is because Tubal-Cain had a sister, Naamah, and in the Zohar Na'amah (or Naamah – Hebrew: נַעֲמָה; "pleasant") is a demon, who might have originated from a branch myth of the Biblical Naamah, or became conflated with her?

I don't think there's any demonic attribution to Naamah sister of Tubal-Cain?
Thank-you for your response! I have read a lot about the character. I was just intrigued by the book I had browsed and recently encountered someone who had some more insight on the matter. It's interesting to find different descriptions of historical or religious characters and to see how their character evolved over years of story-telling.

Thank-you for your response! I have read a lot about the character. I was just intrigued by the book I had browsed and recently encountered someone who had some more insight on the matter. It's interesting to find different descriptions of historical or religious characters and to see how their character evolved over years of story-telling.

In the introduction to Fitzgerald’s translation of Omar’s work. It is written that Omar Khayyam died in the year of 1123 AD, and yet in the Glossary of the self-same book, it is said that he died in 1132 AD. According to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, there is some debate as to whether he died in the year 1123, or 1132. It seems strange that the controversy should be between these two date, because from, (The Perfect Way, P. 247) we read, “As the number of the lunar months, ‘thirteen,’ is the number of the woman and denotes the soul and her reflection of God---The solar number ‘Twelve,’ being that of the spirit.

The two numbers in combination form the perfect year of that dual humanity, which above, is made in the image of God—the true “Christian Year,” wherein the two—the inner and outer, Spirit and Matter—are as one. Thirteen then represents that full union of man with God wherein Christ becomes Christ.

Thirteen, represents the physical person, who reflects perfectly the spiritual being within, (The Father and the Son are one) and is represented as the solar number 12 in combination within the thirteen, as shown here, [1(12)3].

But the true “Christian year” should be where the physical being is translated to a spiritual being, which would be represented by the number combination [1(13)2], the physical number 13, within the spiritual number 12, the old tabernacle=tent, (The body of Man) stored within the inner most sanctuary of the new and glorious Temple of light. A good translation, loses none of the essence of the original from which it is translated.

So, when did the Great King of the Wise, Omar Khayyam die?

Omar was, among other professions, an Alchemist. The search for the Philosopher’s stone was driven, not by the desire to gain great wealth by turning base metals into gold, but the desire to gain eternal life, and wholly transmute the imperfect self into spiritual gold.”

Quatrains 58- 59. And Lately, by the Tavern Door agape,

Came shining through the Dusk an Angel Shape

Bearing a vessel on his shoulders; and

He bid me taste of it; and ‘twas, the Grape!

The Grape that can with Logic absolute

The Two-and-Seventy jarring sects confute:

The sovereign Alchemist that in a thrice

Life’s leaden metal into Gold transmute.

Quatrain 77. And this I know: whether the one True Light

Kindle to love, or wrath-consume me quite,

One flash of it within the Tavern caught

Better than in the Temple lost outright. . . . . Omar Khayyam.

The philosophers stone will be a crystal of the same shape as the molecule from which it is formed, Zechariah 3: the prophet speaks of his vision of the high priest Joshua=Jesus, who is stripped of his old filthy garment and given a new clean turban etc, and a Stone/crystal with seven facets is placed before Joshua with his new clean outer garment.

Is it possible do you suppose to form a molecule from atoms of matter and atoms of anti-matter, which can be held in equilibrium, a state in which they cannot annihilate each other? And would such a body be able to pass in and out of both dimensions? Does evolution cease with the creation of the three-dimensional body of mankind?

Can the doorway between the two dimensions be opened to allow the required number of Jews and Gentiles to enter, before being closed, and once closed, no man will be able to open it?

Back