The Lake of Fire (Tophet/Gehenna) is the Moment of Conception

But the question is how to link the ancient Hebrew texts with Greek and Roman myths?

Indeed. There are plenty of Gods and Goddesses mentioned in the Bible to choose from.

@Base12
Do you believe in continual reincarnation upon this Earth?

Yes, up to a certain point. My views are similar to Universalists as I believe everyone will be saved in the end. It will just take some longer than others. This verse is a good example...

Matthew 21:31
"Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you."

Or do you believe in some more extensive principle of 'rebirth' into other worlds and states and dimensions -- not necessarily reincarnation back here upon the planet Earth?

I am open minded to that idea; however, I have not seen any verses supporting that. I would not be surprised if that is possible.

"... and whenever it may happen (that the Scribes and Pharisees make a convert) and you make him (that is, the scribes and Pharisees make him) twofold more a son of Gehenna than yourselves (that is, twice the son of hell that you are)."
Before his conversion then, he was not a 'son of hell' at all, was he?

I believe that all of us here came from the Lake of Fire.

So yes, before the conversion he was a Son of Hell as we all are. The goal is to become a Son of God.

Isaiah 26:14-19 They are dead, they will not live; They are deceased, they will not rise. Therefore You have punished and destroyed them, And made all their memory to perish. No conception there. I'll look again.

Ezekiel 18:4 For everyone belongs to me, the parent as well as the child—both alike belong to me. The one who sins is the one who will die.

No conception there either. I'll keep looking.

Malachi 14:3 "Then you will trample on the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty.

Sounds like the wicked will be burned up. I think I might know where.

Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Doesn't sound like Jesus is talking about any sort of conception either.

Matthew 3:10 "And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire."
Thrown into the fire for conception? Is the ax a metaphor for conception too?

Matthew 3:12 "His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

There God goes burning up the chaff (sinners). No conception here either.

Psalm 37:20 "But the wicked shall perish; and the enemies of the Lord, like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away."

I could do this all day, but I think it's safe to say that the Lake of Fire is where the wicked will die. No conception. No rebirth. No eternal tormenting. Just going to die.

You are focusing on only one part of the complete process. There are various stages. Take this verse you quoted for example...

Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

The purpose of the Lake of Fire is to destroy both Soul and Body. That is accomplished by Apollyon/Abaddon, who works for God to perform the 'memory wipe' so to speak. How much of the Soul is destroyed is something I am unsure about. It may be a partial destruction or a total. I think partial would make more sense.

After that, the Spirit goes back to God and is now free to be placed into a new Body...

Ecclesiastes 12:7
"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Spirit is Energy/Electromagnetism. Spirit can never be destroyed but transferred. It is a part of God who gave it.

There is nothing in the other verses you quoted that debunks reincarnation. The wicked will perish, the chaff will burn, etc. After that, the Spirit is left to start a new life to 'reap what has been sown'...

Galatians 6:7
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

We must take all of the verses in the Bible and put them together to form the complete picture. God's justice is fair and balanced. To suggest that the Unsaved 'are tormented to infinity' or 'annihilated' violates this basic tenet. How is that fair? How is that just? God will not be mocked.

The whole point of Judgment Day is to gather the evidence in order to hand the proper sentence to the guilty. Some will live a decent life, while others will suffer greatly. An 'eye for an eye'. This is why life is fairer for some than others.

Last edited:
Heaven and Hell are attitudes to me, states of mind that we often condemn ourcellves.

I often see two or more people in the exact same situation...some whining and ranting, others plodding thru life, and yet others skipping and singing.

The heaven and hell crowd are often in the woe is me, sky is falling, everyone is against me group, and I don't see the suffering breeds character thoughts helping them, but the opposite.

I have had four bedroom homes with a swimming pool, grape arbor, grass to mow, maintenance and upkeep and bills. I have been healthy and climbed mtns, skied down them flown around the world...also been flat broke hitching around the country sleeping under overpasses. Divorce, foreclosures, repos, now down to renting one room in a house and happy as a pig in poop.

Concerned about dying in fire? Not really. Would not appreciate in this life, but concerned about it in the afterlife? Not in the least...have I been wicked? I ain't no Saint, missed the mark often...they are all on my permanent record...but if judgement day comes...pretty sure I won't be in the back of the pack...I believe I will be in front of many of those who have been claiming holier that thou to me the past six decades.

Life is good....don't should on others.

While Life may be good for some, it is certainly not fair for the others. Many in this world experience profound suffering through no fault of their own. Something I do a lot in my spare time is read about, or watch videos about, how bad others have it in various countries of the world. It absolutely breaks my heart to witness what is happening out there.

Things like...

*) Child kidnapping and abuse
*) Slave labor
*) People living in terrible pollution and working conditions
*) Severe poverty and hunger
*) Chronic health problems from birth
*) Etc., etc.

I look at my life and I have it good compared to them. Not a single Christian has ever been able to explain why this is.

I have noticed that those who have it good are very cavalier in their attitudes towards religion, God and the afterlife. Why should they care? 'Life is good'. Who cares about all of the suffering in the world. Not their problem.

Beautiful women are a perfect example. Many simply get by on looks. Who needs God? They do what they want, when they want until they get old and things are not the same. Reality kicks in.

I daresay one could more reasonably argue that this verse is something akin to saying "I was born of the lowest part of a woman" because of the whole mucky, messy process of childbirth which seems in the mind of many to be a direct consequence of the Fall.

The above highlights my point with the verse we were discussing...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

If we apply your interpretation to this verse...

Ephesians 4:9
"Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?"

...we can deduce that the verse is referring to the point in time when Jesus descended into the womb of Mary to incarnate.

OK, perfect. I love it. That is exactly how it should be interpreted.

Oops, but wait, what do we have here...

Psalms 63:9
"But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth."

Looks like we have another inconvenient Truth. The Unsaved go back to the womb, the 'lower parts of a woman' as you suggest.

Of course. Reincarnation is the perfect solution. Why even argue?

So...

What have we learned so far about the responses in this thread?

It would seem that many here would rather relentlessly defend the tired old false narrative and dogma that "God is Love and will burn you to infinity!!!" rather than properly interpret Scripture through the lens of Mercy and Grace.

While I am here trying to build bridges to the other folks on this forum with different beliefs, the "God hates you" people are busy tearing those bridges down. What does that say about them? Are they paid to promote such hate, or do they actually do the bidding of Satan for free? No wonder some have 'the good life'. Satan provides.

And what is the point of this forum? To divide? They may as well rename it to 'interhate.org'. That would fit the agenda better.

I submit to this forum that those who believe that the unsaved 'burn for infinity' have serious mental issues. They have Hearts full of hatred. But do not take my word for it. Practically everyone on the planet that is not a Christian would agree with me. They think Christians are beyond help and hopelessly filled with wickedness and utter contempt for the Human Race for preaching that obsolete garbage. How ironic.

There is absolutely no way in the world I will ever believe in a God of Hate as some of you do. Many are waking up to the scam. I hope you do as well.

I submit to this forum that those who believe that the unsaved 'burn for infinity' have serious mental issues. They have Hearts full of hatred. But do not take my word for it. Practically everyone on the planet that is not a Christian would agree with me. They think Christians are beyond help and hopelessly filled with wickedness and utter contempt for the Human Race for preaching that obsolete garbage. How ironic.

There is absolutely no way in the world I will ever believe in a God of Hate as some of you do. Many are waking up to the scam. I hope you do as well.
You've got it wrong..
Nobody will burn in hell forever, unless they put themselves there by their attitude and behaviour.
How can a person who despises righteous folk enter paradise, until they no longer despise them?

So...

It would seem that many here would rather relentlessly defend the tired old false narrative and dogma that "God is Love and will burn you to infinity!!!" rather than properly interpret Scripture through the lens of Mercy and Grace.

While I am here trying to build bridges to the other folks on this forum with different beliefs, the "God hates you" people are busy tearing those bridges down. What does that say about them? Are they paid to promote such hate, or do they actually do the bidding of Satan for free? No wonder some have 'the good life'. Satan provides.

And what is the point of this forum? To divide? They may as well rename it to 'interhate.org'. That would fit the agenda better.

I used to feel like this. Then I had to ask myself why would God create a people that didn't want Him? Why would they enter heaven to worship Him for eternity when they rejected Him in this short mortal life on earth. Lucifer was His creation and God clearly details that helll was created for him and his fallen angels. If God is truly good and cannot abide sin in His presence and offered up His Son as a sacrifice that answered that very problem and His Son be rejected. Does He allow sin to enter heaven? Souls are eternal where else should they go? We are in the age of Grace when He shows His favor to all those who would want Him. If Christians who believe this biblical truth hate non believers then why would we be so burdened to share the gospel message? We as well as God wish none would perish. We see the story of Lazarus and the rich man in Hades. There is a place called Abrahams bosom which was a place of comfort and a different place of torment. We see God in different dispensations in history that destroyed cities armies villages and even the world for their wickedness. God has not changed. The thief on the cross believed Jesus and Jesus told that man that today he would be with Him in paradise. He did not say that to the other thief. Jesus spoke of hell more than anything. If there were no consequences why would anyone fear God and work out their salvation with trembling. Why would God give the law of Moses or even the moral law on our hearts if we could do whatever we wanted. He is Holy and Righteous and He is the Creator. If you create something and are unhappy with it you can destroy it or do whatever you want with it. Why would you put a different standard on Him? By giving us His Son as a sacrifice to die a horrible death not befitting a sinless man let alone God!.. He showed His perfect LOVE. And that love gift would be rejected and spit upon.

These are the very things I came to realize as I studied His word that changed my way of thinking.

So...

That if anyone dares to challenge your opinion, you scorn them and put false words in their mouths ...

So...

Taking a look at the variety of responses on this thread, I'm not so sure that what we're seeing is a unified parade of hate here at all?
What am I missing?

Also, this might have been a good thread for me to have introduced another angle, the teaching I was raised with (sort of, I wasn't exactly raised religious, it's complicated) but the teaching of conditional immortality. The Lake of Fire led to annihilation. Extinction. The Second Death. No eternal supernatural heaven or hell, those were described as pagan and incorrect.

Here's a resource that explains a perspective on this not unlike the ideas my grandfather spoke of when I was young
This channel calls itself "UNLEARN THE LIES"

Souls are eternal where else should they go?
Are souls eternal? Is this unambiguously attested in scripture? Is there extra-biblical evidence?

Also, what most people who dispute this teaching are disputing is the purported horror of the eternal destination of unbelievers (no matter how they conducted themselves in life) The thought arises: God was surely capable of, and free to, create a destination less appalling than unending torturous hellfire.
Or, to annihilate (the wages of sin = death)

Matthew 25:46
46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Daniel 12:2–3
2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Why would I need extra biblical evidence when the Word of God is all the evidence I need?

It is to understand that a perfect good and just God cannot and will not abide sin. Eternal life or eternal death. The soul lives on but what state is the soul abiding in. Life or death.

I am not interested in telling people about hell or eternal punishment I am more interested in telling people that God loves them so much that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him will have eternal life.

Or

Jesus is the way the truth and the LIFE. No one comes to the Father but by Him.

Are souls eternal? Is this unambiguously attested in scripture? Is there extra-biblical evidence?
I'd say the discussion of souls, and especially the nature of the eschaton, is based on 'speculative theologies' founded on the few remarks in sacred Scripture.

Also, what most people who dispute this teaching are disputing is the purported horror of the eternal destination of unbelievers ...
We have to look at the evidence here. Christianity, for example, offers little.

Hell in the NT is the English translation of Gehenna. As discussed, the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, was impure ground, possibly the site of child sacrifice (although doubted) probably just pagan worship. It became a place where trash was dumped and the unwanted dead, people and animals, were left and burnt. It suited as a symbol of the fate of the wicked.

A more nuanced approach is that Gehanna is the place where the unwanted are left and, effectively, forgotten. They cease to exist. The view then is that Jesus is offering an analogy, that God would cease to bear in mind, as it were, those who offend God. By so doing, they simply cease to exist, they'd be a candle flame, snuffed out – Jews, Christians and Muslims see God as holding all things in being, and if God should cease to be mindful of things, then those things would simply cease to be.

The other references to fire again accord, really, with the idea of the disposal of the unwanted, the chaff after the harvest, so once again, the inference of hell and its fires in Scripture bear a greater resemblance to the town dump.

Come the Middle Ages, and the medieval mind really gets to work – demons, imps, tridents ... Dante's Inferno ... nearly every contemporary image of the suffering in hell owes more to medieval imagination than scriptural inspiration ... it's all rather hysterical.

Not, for a moment, to downplay Jesus warnings against being cast out – He was absolute in that regard – He feared for the people, Gehenna, as an analogy, evoked a very real and terrible outcome.

God was surely capable of, and free to, create a destination less appalling than unending torturous hellfire.
Or, to annihilate (the wages of sin = death)
Hence Sheol, in Hebrew thought, which evolves over time, and we have limbo and purgatory in the Christian tradition, and al-A'raf in Islam – an intermediate between heaven and hell, populated by those whose sins and virtues are evenly balanced.

In the Greek myths, there are the Fields of Asphodel, the abode of those who deserve neither the Elysian Fields (heaven) nor Tartarus (hell) and where they dwell for all eternity.

Bardo in Buddhism is something similar with regard to intermediate states.

I should imagine all traditions who have a sense of an afterlife or eschaton would consider intermediate states.

+++

A nugget of Christian eschatalogical speculation is derived from these text:
"But he that received the seed upon good ground, is he that heareth the word, and understandeth, and beareth fruit, and yieldeth the one an hundredfold, and another sixty, and another thirty." (Matthew 13:23)

"And some fell upon good ground; and brought forth fruit that grew up, and increased and yielded, one thirty, another sixty, and another a hundred. (Mark 4:8)

"And these are they who are sown upon the good ground, who hear the word, and receive it, and yield fruit, the one thirty, another sixty, and another a hundred. (Mark 4:20).

Exegetes speculate that one's celestial reward will be according to the fruit one brings forth – so in the Celestial City, some will live close to the centre, (the hundredfold), while those who were not so productive will be at some distance (sixtyfold) and those less so further off (thirtyfold) – but the scribe goes on to assert that each will gaze upon the 'Beatific Vision' accordingly, but none will see themselves as less or more, better or worse than their neighbour – so they who see a hundredfold experience a hundredfold according to their capacity, while they who see thirtyfold nevertheless experience a hundredfold according to their capacity ... and of course, no-one will think themselves better than their neighbour, because, again as the fathers said, "where you neighbour is, God is." Love will brook no politics.

I take comfort in that ...

You are focusing on only one part of the complete process. There are various stages. Take this verse you quoted for example...

The purpose of the Lake of Fire is to destroy both Soul and Body. That is accomplished by Apollyon/Abaddon, who works for God to perform the 'memory wipe' so to speak. How much of the Soul is destroyed is something I am unsure about. It may be a partial destruction or a total. I think partial would make more sense.

After that, the Spirit goes back to God and is now free to be placed into a new Body...

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Spirit is Energy/Electromagnetism. Spirit can never be destroyed but transferred. It is a part of God who gave it.

There is nothing in the other verses you quoted that debunks reincarnation. The wicked will perish, the chaff will burn, etc. After that, the Spirit is left to start a new life to 'reap what has been sown'...

Galatians 6:7
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

We must take all of the verses in the Bible and put them together to form the complete picture. God's justice is fair and balanced. To suggest that the Unsaved 'are tormented to infinity' or 'annihilated' violates this basic tenet. How is that fair? How is that just? God will not be mocked.

The whole point of Judgment Day is to gather the evidence in order to hand the proper sentence to the guilty. Some will live a decent life, while others will suffer greatly. An 'eye for an eye'. This is why life is fairer for some than others.
I'm focusing on the Lake of Fire.

Revelations 20:13 The sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead, and each one was judged according to his deeds. 14Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death— the lake of fire. 15And if anyone was found whose name was not written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.…

There is no return from the Lake of Fire.

Your verses from Ecclesiastes and Galatians are speaking for the first death. Not the second death. Everyone is resurrected from the first death. Nobody survives the Lake of Fire which is the second death. It's literally right there before your eyes.

There is nothing in your verses that mentions reincarnation. Nothing. Nowhere. Nope. My verses were pretty conclusive. My verse from Isaiah literally says "they will not rise". It's speaking of the second death. Could you explain how "will not rise" = will be reincarnated?

Better yet, show me a verse where it says "After being tossed into the Lake of Fire, people will be reincarnated". There is nothing, nada, niete....

There is grassland in Australia that has been burned every year for thousands of years. The background soot levels in the soil go up to 15%. The black soil of the central European plain has up to 45% background soot.

Facts you didn't care to know... by Sheldon Cooper.

I'd say the discussion of souls, and especially the nature of the eschaton, is based on 'speculative theologies' founded on the few remarks in sacred Scripture.

We have to look at the evidence here. Christianity, for example, offers little.

Hell in the NT is the English translation of Gehenna. As discussed, the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, was impure ground, possibly the site of child sacrifice (although doubted) probably just pagan worship. It became a place where trash was dumped and the unwanted dead, people and animals, were left and burnt. It suited as a symbol of the fate of the wicked.

A more nuanced approach is that Gehanna is the place where the unwanted are left and, effectively, forgotten. They cease to exist. The view then is that Jesus is offering an analogy, that God would cease to bear in mind, as it were, those who offend God. By so doing, they simply cease to exist, they'd be a candle flame, snuffed out – Jews, Christians and Muslims see God as holding all things in being, and if God should cease to be mindful of things, then those things would simply cease to be.

The other references to fire again accord, really, with the idea of the disposal of the unwanted, the chaff after the harvest, so once again, the inference of hell and its fires in Scripture bear a greater resemblance to the town dump.

Come the Middle Ages, and the medieval mind really gets to work – demons, imps, tridents ... Dante's Inferno ... nearly every contemporary image of the suffering in hell owes more to medieval imagination than scriptural inspiration ... it's all rather hysterical.

Not, for a moment, to downplay Jesus warnings against being cast out – He was absolute in that regard – He feared for the people, Gehenna, as an analogy, evoked a very real and terrible outcome.

Hence Sheol, in Hebrew thought, which evolves over time, and we have limbo and purgatory in the Christian tradition, and al-A'raf in Islam – an intermediate between heaven and hell, populated by those whose sins and virtues are evenly balanced.

In the Greek myths, there are the Fields of Asphodel, the abode of those who deserve neither the Elysian Fields (heaven) nor Tartarus (hell) and where they dwell for all eternity.

Bardo in Buddhism is something similar with regard to intermediate states.

I should imagine all traditions who have a sense of an afterlife or eschaton would consider intermediate states.

+++

A nugget of Christian eschatalogical speculation is derived from these text:
"But he that received the seed upon good ground, is he that heareth the word, and understandeth, and beareth fruit, and yieldeth the one an hundredfold, and another sixty, and another thirty." (Matthew 13:23)

"And some fell upon good ground; and brought forth fruit that grew up, and increased and yielded, one thirty, another sixty, and another a hundred. (Mark 4:8)

"And these are they who are sown upon the good ground, who hear the word, and receive it, and yield fruit, the one thirty, another sixty, and another a hundred. (Mark 4:20).

Exegetes speculate that one's celestial reward will be according to the fruit one brings forth – so in the Celestial City, some will live close to the centre, (the hundredfold), while those who were not so productive will be at some distance (sixtyfold) and those less so further off (thirtyfold) – but the scribe goes on to assert that each will gaze upon the 'Beatific Vision' accordingly, but none will see themselves as less or more, better or worse than their neighbour – so they who see a hundredfold experience a hundredfold according to their capacity, while they who see thirtyfold nevertheless experience a hundredfold according to their capacity ... and of course, no-one will think themselves better than their neighbour, because, again as the fathers said, "where you neighbour is, God is." Love will brook no politics.

I take comfort in that ...
I remember reading somewhere, that in Zoroastrianism, people had to cross a bridge over a chasm. Their fate was at stake and the weight of sins on their heart was the deciding factor -- could the bridge support them as they crossed, or not?
I don't know if that is strictly poetic, or if that is their formal doctrine.

I remember reading somewhere, that in Zoroastrianism, people had to cross a bridge over a chasm...
Yes, it's doctrine.

The concept is universal, the crossing from a profane to a sacred space – in Egypt we have 'the weighing of the heart against the feather' – the feather of Ma'at, of Truth, Goodness and Justice. The scales were watched by the jackal-headed Anubis and the results recorded by the ibis-headed Thoth. If the heart balanced the feather the person was worthy of eternal; life ... if not, tat-ta.

In Zoroaster, Chinvat, 'the bridge of judgement' a 'beam-shaped bridge' (a balance bridge?) is crossed by the soul after death. The bridge is guarded by two four-eyed dogs.

We also have the Greek Styx, the Norse Gjöll, Japanese Sanzu ...

In Japan you see Komainu, guardian 'lion-dogs', paired at the entrance to shrines and temples. They came to Japan via Buddhism, from China and India.

In Christianity, the judgement is meeting the gaze of Christ.

In Islam, there is As-Sirāt. Nudge my old mucker, @muhammad_isa.

In Monty Python:

Yes, it's doctrine.

The concept is universal, the crossing from a profane to a sacred space – in Egypt we have 'the weighing of the heart against the feather' – the feather of Ma'at, of Truth, Goodness and Justice. The scales were watched by the jackal-headed Anubis and the results recorded by the ibis-headed Thoth. If the heart balanced the feather the person was worthy of eternal; life ... if not, tat-ta.

In Zoroaster, Chinvat, 'the bridge of judgement' a 'beam-shaped bridge' (a balance bridge?) is crossed by the soul after death. The bridge is guarded by two four-eyed dogs.

We also have the Greek Styx, the Norse Gjöll, Japanese Sanzu ...

In Japan you see Komainu, guardian 'lion-dogs', paired at the entrance to shrines and temples. They came to Japan via Buddhism, from China and India.

In Christianity, the judgement is meeting the gaze of Christ.

In Islam, there is As-Sirāt. Nudge my old mucker, @muhammad_isa.

In Monty Python:
And if I understand correctly, if they are too "heavy" with sin, the bridge snaps and they fall into Hell (or a form of Purgatory, I don't recall which)
And if they are light enough, they make it to the other side.
Similar sounding themes with hymns about crossing Jordan, crossing over into campground, the use of the phrase "crossing over" used in spiritualist and new age writing, maybe even referred to in the old Seeker's song "On The Other Side" (although that song is not unanimously thought to be about the afterlife)

Back