Public Celebrations

JustGeorge

Reaction score
For some, religion is a personal and private thing. For others, its wrapped into their culture and includes society around them.

If you're living in a place where your religion is a dominant or popular one, you have options. You can choose if you want a solitary or group path. If you're a religious minority in your area, you probably don't have as much choice, with festivals and worship being limited to a small group, or possibly to just yourself.

What is your situation? Do you have the option to share your path with others? If so, do you prefer it, or do you prefer a more private way? For those who don't have the option, do you wish you did, or are you content with things as they are?

For those who enjoy them, what are some of your favorite aspects of public festivals? Which ones, and what events? For those who don't live in an area that matches well with your religious or spiritual views, do you ever participate in the more popular festivals around you?

For some, religion is a personal and private thing. For others, its wrapped into their culture and includes society around them.
Ideally, I would say, it is both. 'No man is an island,' type of thing.

If so, do you prefer it, or do you prefer a more private way?
I favour the private way, but having said that, the private/interior/contemplative way in community, is something else.

The Divine Office within a monastic community.

For me, a highlight was praying the psalms. The community in the chapel, each side of the aisle, one side sings the first couplet, then a pause, then the other side sings the following couplet, then a pause, and so on ... it's the pauses that make it special.

I'm more of a solemn mass kinda guy – not into 'happy-clappy', guitars and tambourines – nothing against, just not my thing.

The Divine Office within a monastic community.
That's awesome!
For me, a highlight was praying the psalms. The community in the chapel, each side of the aisle, one side sings the first couplet, then a pause, then the other side sings the following couplet, then a pause, and so on ... it's the pauses that make it special.
That sounds really beautiful.
I'm more of a solemn mass kinda guy – not into 'happy-clappy', guitars and tambourines – nothing against, just not my thing.
My experiences with group worship haven't been numerous enough, but I would tend to agree.

Except at Holi. Holi oughta be happy-clappy.

Oh, wow ... that looks something!
Its really an amazing experience. Loud, messy, joyous! :D

The Holi celebrations I've been to have all been smaller scale, due to my location, but I would love to be in India during the Holi festival at some point in my life...

What is your situation? Do you have the option to share your path with others? If so, do you prefer it, or do you prefer a more private way? For those who don't have the option, do you wish you did, or are you content with things as they are?

I'm part of a small group of people who are into the things I am into - undogmatic exploration of all manner of spiritual and occult practices - and we organize weekend get-together mini retreats a few times a year, not on any dates in particular. Apart from engaging in various practices, we also celebrate, as in, party and enjoy each other's company. Other than that, I have a solo practice of meditation. Sometimes, I discuss things on the internet with this forum I found... 😉

I'm part of a small group of people who are into the things I am into - undogmatic exploration of all manner of spiritual and occult practices - and we organize weekend get-together mini retreats a few times a year, not on any dates in particular. Apart from engaging in various practices, we also celebrate, as in, party and enjoy each other's company. Other than that, I have a solo practice of meditation. Sometimes, I discuss things on the internet with this forum I found... 😉
I've got a small group(well, one friend and my husband, when we can get him to sit) that does something similar. Years ago, we were much more involved and there were a few more who participated on and off, but due to some complicated reasons, it fell apart. There was an attempt by us three to put it back together, but its not been as expansive as it used to be(mainly for issue of time and potential burnout).

As far back as I can remember I always got the eyerolls and wave of the hand dismissals, so I've long been a lone wolf. The times I went to "church" I never got the feeling other folks were there for the same reason I was, seemed to me more of a meet market and social club and that's not why I was there.

Que sera, sera. I go where I am fed, and I seem to be fed more nutritiously as a hunter/gatherer. <shrug>

As far back as I can remember I always got the eyerolls and wave of the hand dismissals, so I've long been a lone wolf. The times I went to "church" I never got the feeling other folks were there for the same reason I was, seemed to me more of a meet market and social club and that's not why I was there.
I was told by an acquaintance that "no one believes 'that'[referring to Biblical teachings] anymore, they just go to church to socialize". I told her I didn't necessarily feel that was true, as I knew people that subscribed to Christianity as more than a social club, but perhaps that attitude is more prevalent than I thought.
Que sera, sera. I go where I am fed, and I seem to be fed more nutritiously as a hunter/gatherer. <shrug>
You skip the preservatives that way. ;)

I was told by an acquaintance that "no one believes 'that'[referring to Biblical teachings] anymore, they just go to church to socialize". I told her I didn't necessarily feel that was true, as I knew people that subscribed to Christianity as more than a social club, but perhaps that attitude is more prevalent than I thought.

You skip the preservatives that way. ;)
and the saccharin...

That sounds awesome.

I think it depends on the denomination and the congregation.
Unitarian Universalists, for example, don't even HAVE a theology -- so being at a UU congregation is more like being at a social club with well educated upper middle class liberal people. Unity Church attracts the some of the same people but there's a lot more spirituality going on.

My beliefs are definitely a minority. I don't really have a defined set of beliefs. I guess it all stems from the way I'm wired.

I remember reading a story from Elon Musk's childhood that resonated with me. He wondered if he was crazy as a child because he didn't think the same way other children did. I felt the same way as a child. Everyone thought the same way (to a degree). Everyone took their teachers' words to heart. Everyone believed in all of the same ideas and beliefs. And then there was me. I questioned my teachers all the time. I criticized popular thinking. I often came to different conclusions. I was sent to the office more times than I can remember.

So religious beliefs are the same way. I started reading the Bible at age 5. In a few years I annoyed the heck out of ministers, priests, deacons and Sunday school teachers. But in college and on the internet I found similar people with similar experiences. I have friends from other states and countries who are basically family to me. So I know I'm not alone.

That being said, rarely are there public celebrations that I'm a part of. Any religious observances are basically secular.

I think it depends on the denomination and the congregation.
Unitarian Universalists, for example, don't even HAVE a theology -- so being at a UU congregation is more like being at a social club with well educated upper middle class liberal people. Unity Church attracts the some of the same people but there's a lot more spirituality going on.
That's true. We did some time with the UUs.

I did find the congregation to be somewhat toxic after we'd been there awhile, but I don't believe that represents all UU congregations, just that one. Part of the problem was they kinda told us what we wanted to hear to get us in the door; we didn't realize being openly theist was opening ourselves up to bullying. Also, my husband and I are not terribly political people; we didn't realize how important it was to be political there. We were also on the poor side with little formal education, which seemed to be the icing on the cake.

But, we did spend a year teaching the RE class for the teens, and I wouldn't have given that up that experience for anything. Those kids were thoughtful and intelligent. While there were typically volunteers for the younger kids, no one would step up for the older ones... they don't know what they missed out on.
My beliefs are definitely a minority. I don't really have a defined set of beliefs. I guess it all stems from the way I'm wired.

I remember reading a story from Elon Musk's childhood that resonated with me. He wondered if he was crazy as a child because he didn't think the same way other children did. I felt the same way as a child. Everyone thought the same way (to a degree). Everyone took their teachers' words to heart. Everyone believed in all of the same ideas and beliefs. And then there was me. I questioned my teachers all the time. I criticized popular thinking. I often came to different conclusions. I was sent to the office more times than I can remember.

So religious beliefs are the same way. I started reading the Bible at age 5. In a few years I annoyed the heck out of ministers, priests, deacons and Sunday school teachers. But in college and on the internet I found similar people with similar experiences. I have friends from other states and countries who are basically family to me. So I know I'm not alone.
I'm glad the internet exists to allow 'community' for those who might not otherwise have it...

Back