Books

I would say that in issues of creed, history, and Quranic exegesis they do supplement each other and sometimes correct one another like the new testament corrects some mistakes of the Jews in their understanding of the old testament like Daniel and Isaiah introduce the issue of the resurrection and the Quran corrects some misunderstanding of the Church in issues of theology etc. (I favor Arius the Presbyter).

But you are right that in issues of legal validity each scripture was valid for a specific time and place but still many scholars studied other religious texts to gain insight on their own understanding.

In terms of legal validity they are not all valid for all times and places but in terms of understanding one another and adding to ones own knowledge base and that great scholars like Abur Rayhan al Biruni (specialized in comparative religion) and even great companions of the Rasul Muhammad one could use them to gain further knowledge (in a general sense) and that great Muslim historians and exegetes of the Quran relied heavily on the Bible, apocrypha and pseudepigrapha in their specific fields especially ancient history and even creed issues (see ibn 'Abbas and his understanding of fallen angels etc.).

Lastly, I've found in my studies of the Quran, Bible and even ancient philosophies that when they are put together they either agree in wording and meaning, agree in meaning but not in wording, supplement each other or genuinely differ from one another.

The texts of the Bible and Quran do differ in somethings but agree in most things and I couldn't imagine studying one without the other, like many Muslim historians and exegetes and I do agree that the Christian creeds conflict with the Quran in several issues but the texts of the bible and the Quran agree on most things.

The Quran makes clear that faith should not be vain but result in good deeds - as Jesus said it, using the parables with the tree/plant and the fruit - an important aspect that got disputed in Christianity with a (false, imo) interprétation of Paul.
Well I'm with you on that!

I've never really got into the 'faith v works' thing – I just don't get it.

To me, a thing does as a thing is, and a thing is according to what it does – I could have gone all scholastic with esse (being) and actus (its act of being, now we get complicated).

Simply, if my faith says be nice, then I try to be nice – that is the work of my faith ... I can't see one without the other?

Has anyone here ever heard of the best epistle in 'aqidah (creed) called "al 'Aqidah al Tahawiyyah"?

This text is as perfect a primer in Islamic creed as I have ever seen.

I had studied this before and even attempted to memorize it and I've gone too long without refreshing my memory on it.

Studying it at present with the commentary of an Indian scholar, Shaykh Fahim Hossan and it is awestriking. It's one of the best things I've read and the best thing I've read in its size second only to the revealed books themselves.

Had to refresh my memory on a lot of things and it works like a charm.

I would love to get a nice copy of the Nicene Creed and Maimonides 13 principles of Judaism, the best 3 creeds for each of the Abrahamic faiths.

Has anyone here ever heard of the best epistle in 'aqidah (creed) called "al 'Aqidah al Tahawiyyah"?

This text is as perfect a primer in Islamic creed as I have ever seen.

I would love to get a nice copy of the Nicene Creed and Maimonides 13 principles of Judaism, the best 3 creeds for each of the Abrahamic faiths.
I assume you are aware that Maimonides’ principles are not authoritative throughout Judaism.

I assume you are aware that Maimonides’ principles are not authoritative throughout Judaism.
I have read that somewhere but I barely remember it.

Maybe you could direct me to more information on Jewish Creed.

Appreciate your feedback.

ma'as salamah (peace)

Back