Your religious/spiritual journey

The more desperate we are to find absolute truth, the more likely we are to find it.
Not sure I would say "desperate." More like "determined." The more determined we are to find Absolute Truth, the more likely we are to find it.

The difficulty arises in that the Truth has two sides. Finding the Truth isn't so much the issue, it isn't hard to find, sometimes it smacks us upside the head when we are not paying attention. The difficulty lies in seeing only one side and thinking / believing that is all there is to it.

We cannot learn if we already know. it is not possible to put 6 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket.

I love countries like that; that have a rich religious life. My own country is technically religiously diverse, but unfortunately most people are very secular. I had little to no exposure to religious ideas as a child, I had to do my own research later.

Not to derail this thread, open parenthesis (

Places like that (with widespread traditional religious culture) tend to be very oppressive intellectually and politically, and not very diverse. The place in question has a Muslim minority, who are massively disadvantaged. The government is always teetering on the brink of military coup - in fact, during my time there, there were two coups.

Everything has a dark side.

) closed.

I cannot recall the exact wording, but I do remember receiving comments like: "Reading will confuse you" (as if the Bible were the only good thing to read).

Mmm, I can relate. I heard comments like this too. In my particular circle, I heard someone defend the Index Liborum Prohibitorum as binding lol. I guess I can never read Descartes!

During my college years I attended church services with a non-denominational church, went on mission trips with adventures straight into the heart of Navajo territory, and used my talents like art to serve the local community. One of my most beloved memories after college includes tending to the needs of children with disabilities in an orphanage, for my brother is also disabled. These orphans were abandoned by their parents because they did not want them or were not able to care for them. This was a profound religious experience for me.

This is very beautiful.

Cradle Catholic ... wandered off ... joined a cult ... fell out with that ... Discovered the Perennial Philosophy in the writings of the Traditionalists (mostly Sufi) ... discovered (via the Perennialists) Patristics (the Fathers to about the 9th century) back into Catholicism, a 'Christian Platonist' as much Orthodox as Roman Catholic ...

We share an interest in the Church fathers! It's interesting that you consider yourself as much Orthodox as Catholic- do you find that ever causes conflict with other Catholics? I remember there being camaraderie with the Orthodox, but also a lot of hostility, especially over issues like papal infallibility.

..I have these experiences of connection meaningful only to me, purely subjective and could never stand in a court of law (or public opinion for that matter), that reinforce to me that underlying and pervasive something that I cannot put my finger on but I know is there.
Reminds me of:

When I was a child I had a fever,
My hands felt just like two balloons,
Now I've got that feeling once again,
I can't explain you would not understand,
This is not how I am,
I have become comfortably numb..
When I was a child,
I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye,
I turned to look but it was gone,
I cannot put my finger on it now,
The child is grown,
The dream is gone,
I have become comfortably numb.

..must be the bit about the finger ;)

Reading everyone's stories was so engrossing. I hope more others follow. Our early experiences shape our thoughts and beliefs in so many ways. As do our later experiences and what we choose to learn.

I wasn't raised in any formal religion. I grew up with mixed messages about religious belief. I lived with my mom and her parents. My Mom really disliked organized religion. She had read up on religion some and concluded it was all just stories. Her inclinations was towards New Age. She used to say she believed in reincarnation and had some interest in paranormal things.

My grandmother was mostly interested in the paranormal and superstition. (Ghosts, Ouija boards, fortune telling, knocking on wood, not dropping spoons, etc) Grandma's parents had been something like Baptist or Pentecostal ? and when she spoke of it, she referred to them and the community of the time "hypocrites and fanatics". She told a story of how after she had left the church, someone from a neighboring church had burned their church down because they (her family's church) had hired a black minister. (This would have been the late 1930s or early 1940s in NYS) I guess Grandma tried taking my mom and her siblings to church when they were little, but they detested the screaming hellfire preaching minister and refused to go. They all ended up disillusioned with church.

My grandfather had not been religious most of his life. He was not raised religious. Someone in his family history may have been disillusioned Mennonites who left the fold, but I'm not sure. He always said his father bah-humbugged religion and my Grandpa was the same. Til he had a midlife crisis in the early 1970s. I was very little then and don't know exactly what happened, but, he somehow became a hard convert to the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert Armstrong church). This group is sometimes referred to as a cult, though I'm not sure how much worse it was than any other hard-line church. They were severe in their intensity and considered themselves "the One True Church" They were very skeptical and critical of Catholics and regular Protestants. They were right and everybody else was wrong. What was different about the WCG was the doctrine. They didn't believe in the trinity, they didn't believe in eternal hellfire (instead they believed in annihilation and conditional immortality) they did not believe in what they considered "pagan" holidays like Christmas and Easter, observed Old Testament dietary laws and Jewish fasting days, and they were intense about biblical prophecy and the idea of the End Times. In fact, the End Times were supposed to happen in the 1980s.

Now, my mom and grandma insisted on providing me (and my sister) with Christmas and Easter, though in a very secular way. So I had traditional holidays with minimal to no religious connotations, and a religious grandfather who bah-humbugged them. I never found any of this confusing either. To me, by the time I was 5 or 6, I had drawn the conclusion that a supernatural world containing God and who knows what else almost surely existed, but because it was invisible and people only got glimpses, there were a lot of theories and nobody really knew the whole story. I thought that all religions were theories based on scant bits of evidence from the invisible beyond.

Strangely, when I was 12, my mom insisted I go to summer bible school. I don't know her motives, as she couldn't stand organized religion and didn't buy into Christian churches. But I ended up believing some of what I learned and got baptized as a teen. (It was interesting when I did not understand what they were talking about with the Trinity, and mom told me to ask my Grandpa, and he grumbled for some while about the pagan ideas not in the bible etc) Still, I had just as much spiritual influence from materials my mom had on meditation and new age concepts.

I am not a practitioner of any particular religion, but I like the term "theistic rationalist". I always liked the line from Hamlet that said "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in [y]our philosophies" I have had some experiences that reinforce this for me. I lived in places that were supposed to have ghosts, and saw them
When I was a child,
And when I was a preteen, teen, and young adult, I had several precognitive dreams.

I self identified as vaguely Protestant for a long time, but only in my early 30s did I start attending church. I spent many years at Unity church and was very happy there. I also did a lot of internet research on religion to expand my knowledge. I always wanted to know what was really true, and to try to understand.

If you got this far... thanks for reading 😇

I ended up having a mental breakdown due to scrupulosity and dropped out of RCIA. I respect Catholicism, but traditional Catholicism definitely gave me religious trauma (no disrespect to any Catholics here!).
You have all my sympathy for whoever tried to show you the Catholic faith. It's sad anyone should go away with such an impression of the Catholic faith

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matt 11:28-29

Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
Galatians 5:1

Last edited:
I was not a person that was looking for Faith in any shape or form, I had a childhood of much travel as my father was in the airforce. I lived on Penang Island from 1963 to 1966 and witnessed many diverse religious practices, ceremonies and places of worship. I loved the smell of insences. I loved curries our Malaysian Amah cooked. I was an impossible child for my mother who was a strong Christain, my father tended toward an athiest viewpoint, especially as I got into my teen years. I started playing golf at around the age of 12 and was hooked. I did a professional Golf Apprenticeship and had turned professional by 1978, played a year on the circuit, did ok, but had no money to play the circuit.

A long story saw me join the army in 1979, did six months training as a private soldier as a riflemen and got posted to Townsville North Queensland. I met my wife in 1980 after we had completed a military exercise around the town I now live in (Another amazing story how we ended up here).

I was engaged in 3 days married within 3 months. We moved back to Western Australia when I was discharged from the Army in 1982 and we built a new home in Beldon Western Australia. Faith was far from my mind, I had no time for God.

At the same time we built our house, a New Zealand couple with 2 children were building one across the road. We moved in around the same time to our houses. In 1983 my wife got the courage to say hi to the lady across the road and was invited in for a cup of tea. I was at work.

While the tea was being prepared my wife read a prayer on the wall.

"Oh God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.

O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord." ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

My wife was captivated and asked where the prayer came from and was told it was a Baha'i Prayer. My wife immediately asked the lady how she could become a Baha'i! My wife was told you can not do that, you need to know more, but my wife said I want to practice the Faith that prayer is part of. So now my wife had to tell me her great and wonderful news, she was a Baha'i.

My reaction, "WHAT you have to be kidding, who gets all the money!" Well that was a deflation indeed. The Orange people had taken over Fremantle in WA at that time, a nasty cult, they were on the news often.

My wife was advised to give me time by the Baha'is. One day a month or so later, with me still mad and now had to see my wife head out for Baha'i functions, I found a book on my bedside table on a Friday afternoon. It was "God Loves Laughter" by William Sears. I had the weekend off and started to read it Saturday morning. I did not pit it down until I had finished it, It was a great read, exactly what my heart wanted apparently. I then read a book called "Thief in the Night" by the same Author and was gobsmacked, I was now aware of what this Faith meant. After reading these books I said to my wife, this faith is about as good as it gets, I am happy to join and come with you to meetings, it was early 1984, the journey had begun.

By 1986 we decided to sell our house and travel to find a place to settle as Baha'i. Another amazing story how we got to Normanton in October 1986.

Regards Tony

Last edited:
I was brought up Catholic, and left the church when I was a teenager, the temptations of the world led me astray. I started to search for God in my late forties, my faith journey has been profound and beyond my understanding.

In 1990 my mum went into a coma and was rushed to hospital, her breathing was a horrible gurgling sound, nicknamed the death rattle. The doctors said she had hours to live and there was nothing they could do for her. We called a priest, although none of us had a faith at the time, we just thought it was what you should do as mum was brought up a Catholic.

As the priest prayed my mum’s breathing seemed to change, the gurgling sound disappeared. About ten minutes after the priest walked out the door, mum came round and started to speak, she had no recollection of anything that happened in hospital, or that the priest had prayed for her. We thought it might have just been a temporary reprieve, but she lived another eleven years.

Having our mum back was a mixed blessing, because she had suffered with multiple sclerosis for about twenty years prior to the coma, and she had gradually lost the use of both her legs and arms. Before the coma, there were times she said she wanted to die, she had also asked us to help her die. After the coma my mum regarded her healing as a blessing, despite her paralysed body, and she said she was not ready to die after surviving the coma.

I really could not understand how she seemed to just accept being paralysed from the neck down, she rarely complained and often seemed more worried and concerned about our problems than her own. She had a faith in God and she sometimes used to say that she is ready to meet Jesus now. People might have said that it would have been kinder for her to have passed away in hospital. But somehow through my mum’s faith in God, I went from being agnostic to finding a greater faith myself.

I can only say that I will never meet a stronger person than my mum, she was so kind and caring too. Faith is only faith when it is tested; sometimes it seems that God tests us in extreme ways. We all die; faith and trust in God helps us to look forwards to a greater good life after death.

In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later.

Being told I had cancer was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do about it. But I still had choices; I could dictate how the cancer was going to affect my mind and my ability to cope with the news. If I had six months to live, I wanted to live in peace for six months.

A few minutes after putting the phone down; I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace that is beyond my understanding, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment. I only made this prayer once, then it changed to giving thanks for another day of peace.

Cancer might be a worrying process, you wait a month or two for appointments, you wait for the results, and you wait for more appointments. I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

On reflection, I sense that the peace I experienced possibly helped the cancer to heal. I have heard that worry and stress can exacerbate medical problems.

I had endured a very annoying cough for a couple of months, when my wife could no longer put up with my coughing, she booked a doctor’s appointment for the next day. The following morning, she said, shall we go to mass? This was unusual for her to say that, so we went. Unbeknown to both of us, it was the feast day of Bishop Blaze and I had my throat blessed. After the blessing I sat down, my throat has been blessed, I don’t need the doctor, I will cancel the appointment when I get home. My cough had gone.

The same annoying cough came back again earlier this year. This time I knew the feast day of Bishop Blaze was happening soon. I didn’t call the doctor but waited a couple of weeks for my throat to be blessed. The cough went.

When God works in these mysterious ways, I believe it is because we are being asked to do something. That something is not in our own power to do through our own strength, it can only be done by trusting in our Lord.

We share an interest in the Church fathers! It's interesting that you consider yourself as much Orthodox as Catholic-
Most of my 'big influences' are all pre the substantial break between East and West.

do you find that ever causes conflict with other Catholics?
Not really ... I think generally today there's a desire for unity, although that won't be achieved without compromise.

I doubt made Catholics could say what there's a difference between us and the Orthodox, other than the pope.

I remember there being camaraderie with the Orthodox, but also a lot of hostility, especially over issues like papal infallibility.
Generally I think the Orthodox Church are more hard-line about Catholics than we are about them.

When I needed 'God' the most -- 'He' was there.

It wasn't easy at first because once I had 'given permission' the angels stripped me of a lot of material and emotional attachments and baggage, a painful process, but which let me enter through the narrow gate -- to be uplifted.

Sure knowledge of the power of the touch of Spirit, in the midst of the material world. Of daily actual spiritual help and guidance

Last edited:
It's so captivating and edifying to read everyone's stories of their faith history and development. I wish I could read hundreds of them.

I hadn't mentioned how my own reading and research influenced my theology. Reading (and watching videos about) Jewish theology has been influential, strengthening, and nourishing. I do not think conversion or even joining a Noahide community is in the cards for me, given the level of orthodox practice involved with any of that. But as to belief, I find the Jewish perception of God and theories of the afterlife to be convincing and seem plausible and correct (in the sense that I feel some conviction that those ideas are accurate/true/reality)

Places like that (with widespread traditional religious culture) tend to be very oppressive intellectually and politically, and not very diverse. The place in question has a Muslim minority, who are massively disadvantaged. The government is always teetering on the brink of military coup - in fact, during my time there, there were two coups.

Mm, I see what you mean. I think balance is necessary. You definitely don't want to live somewhere where the majority religion oppresses any other religion, but I also think an ultra-secularized society is a problem too. At least, I find that in my country society is so secular that religion is highly stigmatized.

Reminds me of:

When I was a child I had a fever,
My hands felt just like two balloons,
Now I've got that feeling once again,
I can't explain you would not understand,
This is not how I am,
I have become comfortably numb..
When I was a child,
I cannot put my finger on it now,
The child is grown,
The dream is gone,
I have become comfortably numb.

..must be the bit about the finger ;)
This song brings back a memory from before I was in Kindergarten, I might have been 4 years old. No medication required.

Mm, I see what you mean. I think balance is necessary. You definitely don't want to live somewhere where the majority religion oppresses any other religion, but I also think an ultra-secularized society is a problem too. At least, I find that in my country society is so secular that religion is highly stigmatized.
Even though my society is supposed to be a secular society (and I prefer secularism over sectarianism any day of the week) in small towns anything other than Christianity is stigmatized. Sometimes even branches of Christianity that are not evangelical are stigmatized.

Depending on where you are though -- in some more populated areas where there is more diversity, like cities or larger towns, or on some (not all) university campuses, in some circles within that larger population, being religious would be stigmatized.

This is very beautiful.

My time with children with terminal illnesses and disabilities explains why I strongly reject atheism, because it informs us that this is the only life there is.

It is also one reason why I opted out of Christianity, an ancient religion that emphasizes miracles and takes them to be of central importance.

Not to derail this thread, open parenthesis (

So you are in Germany now, right? How does it compare in terms of diversity? Is there any religious infighting in your country? Do you feel diversity helps to facilitate a more intellectually open society or does diversity create more problems than it solves?

is also one reason why I opted out of Christianity, an ancient religion that emphasizes miracles and takes them to be of central importance.
But if the New Testament Christ stories are regarded as fables, how is it possible to use the same NT to justify a new age Christ?

Back