Reform Jew

Absolutely.

Would you care to post a short introduction about yourself in the intro thread:

Are there any Jews here?
Our Jewish members seem to prefer to stay in the background and to come forward only when they see the need to correct some misconception or misinformation about Judaism. Perhaps @ReformJew may spark a bit more active participation?

Are there any Jews here?
I hope there will be more. I am not Jewish though my understanding of God is consistent with Jewish theology.
I like hearing what Jewish people have to say about theological topics.
Welcome, I hope you stay and have lots to say. 🥳🤩🥰

Our Jewish members seem to prefer to stay in the background and to come forward only when they see the need to correct some misconception or misinformation about Judaism. Perhaps @ReformJew may spark a bit more active participation?
I have a theory about why the members have disappeared. Who are the members in the background?

I hope there will be more. I am not Jewish though my understanding of God is consistent with Jewish theology.
I like hearing what Jewish people have to say about theological topics.
Welcome, I hope you stay and have lots to say. 🥳🤩🥰
Thank you, TheLight, it’s difficult to generalize about Jews because we are so different. I will be reviewing some of the previous posts to identify key issues. A previous poster named Avi, has a view that is closest to mine, so we will start there. Happy New Year!!

Thank you, TheLight, it’s difficult to generalize about Jews because we are so different.
True.
As I like to say, generalizations are always wrong.😁
I will be reviewing some of the previous posts to identify key issues. A previous poster named Avi, has a view that is closest to mine, so we will start there. Happy New Year!!
Awesome.
I think a lot of key issues that come up appear on threads in the general spirituality section and in the Christianity section.
For example things about bible prophecy, the nature of God as orthodox Christianity sees it vs how other Abrahamic faiths see God etc.
My view of God is closer to the view of Judaism than of orthodox Christianity.
But I do not feel qualified to assert anything akin to a Jewish view, despite my affinity for the thinking, both because I am not Jewish and because I recognize the variety & diversity amongst Jewish viewpoints.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome, about religious/spiritual journeys, a lot of us have shared our beliefs and our reasons for them here, you can read to know more about many of us and add to if you want to

True.
As I like to say, generalizations are always wrong.😁

Awesome.
I think a lot of key issues that come up appear on threads in the general spirituality section and in the Christianity section.
For example things about bible prophecy, the nature of God as orthodox Christianity sees it vs how other Abrahamic faiths see God etc.
My view of God is closer to the view of Judaism than of orthodox Christianity.
But I do not feel qualified to assert anything akin to a Jewish view, despite my affinity for the thinking, both because I am not Jewish and because I recognize the variety diversity amongst Jewish viewpoints.
Those are important issues, TheLight. As a RJ I think the more important issues that belong here in the Jewish sub-forum are:
What does it mean to be a Jew? What/Who is G-d? Are we a computer simulation? Are the main issues in Judaism ethics and morals ? Ritual ? Bible ? History ? Culture ? Community ? Food ?

I found this:

Dear Interfaith Friends,

There comes a time in the life of every interfaith poster when change is at hand, and that time, for me, is now.

I can’t say it hasn’t been interesting. It hasn’t always been fun. The debates about Theosophy were sometimes contentious. But I learned a lot from those discussions.

Sometimes it was fun. I enjoyed the feminist thread, with people throwing gobs of paintballs at me :D !!

I learned a lot about all the religions and philosophies, thanks to you all for teaching me so much. Thanks to Dauer and BB for putting up with my radical Judaica views and Brian and Wil for keeping me pointed toward the good path. :)

And to all the rest of my friends here, thank you for your thoughts and ideas. They were always great. There are a few individuals that I would like to personally thank. Ludvig, you are a fine brewer, I hope you become the Braumeister of your great-uncle’s brewery. The_Dude, you had a short but interesting life. Mahmoud, a man of principle, Ghazali, I agree with your positions on Avicenna and Averroes, and most recently, Qi_1, a Tai Chi master. I will miss you one and all. :D

With that said, Brian, please cancel my membership effective immediately, and Shalom to all !!

-Avi”

This was a tragedy for the Jewish sub-forum. It never fully recovered.

Those are important issues, TheLight. As a RJ I think the more important issues that belong here in the Jewish sub-forum are:
What does it mean to be a Jew? What/Who is G-d? Are we a computer simulation? Are the main issues in Judaism ethics and morals ? Ritual ? Bible ? History ? Culture ? Community ? Food ?
These sound great. I'd be very interested to follow those conversations. I'm always intrigued to know more. I've learned a lot by reading and also by following people on YouTube like Rabbi Tovia Singer and Rabbi Manis Friedman. As well as others.

I'd be so intrigued to view a dialogue among Jews of different denominations/movements and the compare/contrast on what they thought about topics important to Judaism. Would some groups care more about ritual than others? (I'm guessing yes?) where ethics may be seen as important by all? (again guessing yes?)

I'd love to observe the What/Who is G-d topic. The insights offered would be so different than on a Christian subforum.

I'm intrigued by the computer simulation question. What do you mean? 🤔 🖥️

As you list main issues you find important, I note that afterlife/salvation is not in your top 7 list. Afterlife theories (often considered facts?) are so heavily emphasized in both Christianity and Islam (at least I think) and possibly other Abrahamic faiths. I'm really interested in the Jewish view of the world to come, even though, if I understand correctly, the topic of the world to come is not as heavily emphasized in Judaism as it is in many other religions. And that it doesn't make the top of your list. Do you think afterlife doctrines are important or unimportant?

One of the things I wonder about as a non-Jew is whether there are ever Noahide communities or classes affiliated with the Conservative or Reform movements.

I'm also intrigued by thoughts Jews may have on the relationship between Judaism and other religions.

I found this:

Dear Interfaith Friends,

There comes a time in the life of every interfaith poster when change is at hand, and that time, for me, is now.

I can’t say it hasn’t been interesting. It hasn’t always been fun. The debates about Theosophy were sometimes contentious. But I learned a lot from those discussions.

Sometimes it was fun. I enjoyed the feminist thread, with people throwing gobs of paintballs at me :D !!

I learned a lot about all the religions and philosophies, thanks to you all for teaching me so much. Thanks to Dauer and BB for putting up with my radical Judaica views and Brian and Wil for keeping me pointed toward the good path. :)

And to all the rest of my friends here, thank you for your thoughts and ideas. They were always great. There are a few individuals that I would like to personally thank. Ludvig, you are a fine brewer, I hope you become the Braumeister of your great-uncle’s brewery. The_Dude, you had a short but interesting life. Mahmoud, a man of principle, Ghazali, I agree with your positions on Avicenna and Averroes, and most recently, Qi_1, a Tai Chi master. I will miss you one and all. :D

With that said, Brian, please cancel my membership effective immediately, and Shalom to all !!

-Avi”
Interesting. How long ago was that from?
It's definitely from way before my time.
I've been here for about 6 months.
The poster, Avi, clearly enjoyed his? time here... but it was not clear at least to me, from this alone, why he wanted to leave?

I found this:

Dear Interfaith Friends,

-Avi”

This was a tragedy for the Jewish sub-forum. It never fully recovered.
I can't like this love this or laugh at it.. no emoji fits.

Back