Rescuing the Bible

I was not impressed at all but thanks anyway. I dont think the bible needs any help being rescued. It will stand the test of time and all attacks made toward it. The Bible will not fail and God will prevail, but people will fail because they do not seek the Truth and turn truth into a lie.

2 Thessalonians 2

1. Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2. That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The falling away first is two-fold.

1. Spiritually it is the power (Christ) being removed. Those of Christ only are taken in the rapture. Those who are saved or of the church, not of Christ, will remain.
  2. Physically it will be a falling away of mankind from God outwardly, appearing as a falling away of morality.
2 Thessalonians 2

Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

5. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6. And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

1. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
Above is again a reference to the power found in Christ that is restraining those who are of sin.

8. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

9. Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10. And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12. That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Some will ask, "Why would God allow this?" He does not; we do; it is our fault. We did not seek the truth and in turn got the lie and fell for it and followed it based on traditions and the church of this world.

Like I said before, match what others say with what the bible says so that you will not be decieved.

I am going to now rescue my Bible

First step I am going to tear out everything that cant be explained with modern science. All the miracles etc etc etc.

Second I am going to tear out everything that wouldnt be considered politicaly correct for this day and age. So as not to offend anyone with its words.

Third I am going tear out all the rules that impose on my freedom to live and choose my desires.

My bible is now rescued ?
My Bible is destroyed from cover to cover along with any hope any love any goodness.
Jesus who is He I just ripped Him out and trashed Him.
I am now free to excercise judgement on anyone that disagrees with me (not God me) I have this freedom because God was to mythical to believe in so I trashed Him too.
I have rescued my Bible the world has become a cold and bitter place with no unity no hope no love of anything other than ones self.
I have nothing to believe in other than what I can feel with my hands explain with science etc etc.

We truely live in the last days when we see this attitude
2 Peter, chapter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4: And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5: For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

Please God Continue to protect Your word. Help me to store it in my heart and live it day to day.
In Jesus name Amen

are but miracles are being written about science

check out this latest book

www.brucelipton.com

You don't need GOD to restore your faith,

for when it is the power of GOD

it is indestructible

faith in GOD and GOD's word and will

is fearless.

Your foundation is as solid as rock

and your exterior as soft as a rose of love.

GOD bless all and may GOD be with you always

I was asking for a serious review of the book so that is still open to those that are listening to the request.

Love beyond measure

Kimxxx

looks like more mysticism. i have no interest. i gave a review, sorry if it is not liked.

I thought this was the Christian Forum.
wouldn't that mean the bible believing Christians to discuss there beliefs with others concerning the bible and Jesus as Lord? or are we just supposed to talk about mystical and new spiritual books and movements in the Christian forum.

are the bible believers allowed to attend other fourms and pass out bibles and scriptures from the bible and books written by Christians?

this last post on faith is contrary to what the bible teaches.

It would be nice if someone here would lay out there intent and list of business in this forum, instead of trying to persuade others away from the bible and what parts of the bible they do not like.

I hope everyone is enjoying all this. I do not find it funny any more.

Now why would you post this topic under Christianity where there are a lot of bible believers..asking for a serious review on a book that slams the bible believer. Maybe this post would be better suited under comparative-religion.. I think that you're being a bit petty now SS.. Thank you

I think that this is appropriate for this thread. Who better to discuss the Bible with than Christians. I think SS's point of rescuing the Bible isn't that we need to get rid of it or take books out either. It is a rescue from rigid interpretation. There are mysteries in the Bible that are locked away because people are afraid to let it speak to their heart. This fear is imposed by outside influences( and inner too).

Haven't you ever read the Bible and had it speak to your heart only to tell someone about it and they say "no, that isn;t what it says, it says this." This happened to me too many times to mention. I don't allow anyone to tell me anymore what a certain piece of scripture means when there is no room for debate. I'm not referring to historical aspects but rather the parables and other wisdom that is contained there. The truth is that for every quote that can be found for one's interpretation I'll find you another that means something else. This is the recue she referred to in my opinion. Or should i say, my interpretation?

And one other thing, christians need to engage in these debates with people. What upsets people about the religion is how ill informed most are of it. How can you propse to spread the message when you hardly know the counter arguemnts. People walk away saying" Christians have no idea what they are saying" Sorry to say but this is what alot of people say who try to argue legitimate issues with the christain only to hear" you're wrong" and you just gotta have faith" Hopefully you hear what I'm saying as genuine and not a sucker punch.

no i dont. it is SLAMMING the bible and believers over and over and over and not allowing the Chritians to discuss the bible at all.

if it does not stop i will ignore them just like you have said and move on with those who are the real believers.
We all know how the gnostics work that is why they keep getting put under because they are not come to create unity but a false sense of peace with many divisions and THAT is the work of the devil.

I didn't read the link but revisionism is a joke. There are liberal Muslims that are always appealing to me that I'm mistaken in my opnions of Islam, that in reality the Quran is beautiful, tolerant, etc and its just a lack of understanding on my part and the part of radical Muslims. No, I'm sorry. The Bible, as the Quran, is brutal, hateful, etc. And Fundys are here to stay. No cure for stupid violent people. If this were more widely accepted, serious scholarship would be much improved.

Ok I appear to be hard line fundamentalist (ooooOOOOHHH) I do not see where the Bible contradicts its self I see people try to make it all the time use verses out of context etc etc till the truth has become something blurry.

But I will ask this How would you rescue the Bible.
If it where a person drowning you could pick out step 1 step 2 step 3 etc.
So do it now tell me what would you do
Step by step to rescue the Bible. ???

didymus said:
And one other thing, christians need to engage in these debates with people. What upsets people about the religion is how ill informed most are of it. How can you propse to spread the message when you hardly know the counter arguemnts. People walk away saying" Christians have no idea what they are saying"

It is too often the case that Christians do need to rescue our Bibles-- from dust accumulation.

Excellent first post by the way, Basstian. Personally, I'm not waiting to see if the Bible will one day be banned in a supposedly Christian country; I'm just waiting to see which one it's going to be. But consider things from the other side for a moment: If you hated God, and wanted others to do the same, wouldn't the easist place to attack be the Bible?

And isn't the fact that the Bible is attacked so much by the secular world just more evidence that it contains something important? I mean, if the Bible really is just a load of junk why would anyone care if I read it or not?

By the way: When the anti-Christ comes, expect an anti-Bible to accompany him as well.

didymus said:
I think that this is appropriate for this thread. Who better to discuss the Bible with than Christians. I think SS's point of rescuing the Bible isn't that we need to get rid of it or take books out either. It is a rescue from rigid interpretation.
I would have to tend to disagree there are many times she has told us The Bible was corrupted and needs things added and took away.

Sacredstar said:
Rescuing the Bilbe from fundamentalism

As anyone read this book?

I was certainly impressed by the article from it by Bishop Spong

http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/spong3.html

If you have read you may like to give us a review of it.

Love beyond measure

Kimxxx
I can certainly see why more mysticism and slamming of the bible and people that actually believe in it. As far as my review 2 thumbs down.

I want everyone to think of the reaction if someone posted a link on Judiasm or Islam board asking those respective faiths to review a book called Rescuing the Torah from the Jews or Rescuing the Qu'ran from the Muslim. What would the reaction be? The Torah was written for Jews.. The Qu'ran was written for Muslims the Bible is written for Christians.

I would like to post a link asking for a review..

http://cana.userworld.com/cana_spiritualjourney.html

I would also like to add that the link that was posted at the start of this thread was a Jehovah's Witness site which is not Christianity.

So much is posted about offending and judging and doing harm to others and not loving others.. Was this a loving thread? Was it an inspiring thread? was it a thread promoting peace between peoples? Was it a thread allowing others to journey on their respective paths? No..it was an attempt to be divisive and manipulative in a passive aggressive way.. it was also hypocritical.

In Response to Star's Original Post:

First of all, I wholeheartedly agree with Spong that Christianity is about the experience of Christ, and the love of God. Slavish adherence to the Bible can lead to a love of the law rather than the love of God, and so, as Christians, we should really be wary of that.

However, I disagree with Spong on two accounts: first, I feel that believing in the Bible as literal truth does not detract from the experience of Christ, but rather enhances it (so long as we don't love the Bible more than we love the Lord). Second, I don't like his "different cultures" argument. Basically, he claims we should take the Bible with a grain of salt because it was written by a different culture. Wow.

Anyways, isn't Spong that homosexual Bishop? If so, then it is pretty clear why he is so vicious in his attacks on Fundamentalists, and why he is so desperate to throw the Bible in the garbage can. Also explains his relativist viewpoint...

This speculation has gotten the Bishop into trouble with his own church. Recently, Episcopalian bishops from Africa and Asia rejected Spong's liberal views on human sexuality at a conference in England. His response was to charge that "They've moved out of animism into a very superstitious kind of Christianity. They've yet to face the intellectual revolution of Copernicus and Einstein that we've had to face in the developing world."{9} When the bishops voiced their objections, Spong responded by declaring "I'm not going to cease being a twentieth-century person for fear of offending somebody in the Third World. . . ."
OMG!!! :eek::mad:

Dear Didymus

Yes you are correct in your understanding.

I was actually looking at Plato and was led to the above site and there saw the wonderful article by a Christian Bishop about his book and it was a serious enquiry requesting an in-depth view of the book by someone who had read it.

The pure intent was and is not to destroy anyone's faith, belief or attack the bible that is in the eyes of the beholder, i.e. that feel persecuted which usually as a root cause in past lives. Many of us have suffered persecution down the ages due to our spiritual beliefs.

As I understand the Christian forum is for ALL Christians to discuss Christianity and that which effects aspects of it and of course to do this with due respect for others, beliefs and sensitivities.

But perhaps Brian could enlighten us further.

And I feel the majority of us have indeed done that.

The pure of heart see purity not diversity.

Let us work together we are all on the same side.

being love

Kimxxx

Back