Choosing your religion!

The Religion Selector

Your Results:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (94%)

3. Non-theist (92%)

4. Theravada Buddhism (85%)

5. Liberal Quakers (71%)

6. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (56%)

7. Neo-Pagan (51%)

8. Orthodox Quaker (43%)

9. Taoism (41%)

10. Jainism (41%)

11. Mahayana Buddhism (40%)

12. Islam (40%)

13. Orthodox Judaism (40%)

14. New Age (38%)

15. Bahá'í Faith (37%)

16. Reform Judaism (37%)

17. Seventh Day Adventist (37%)

18. Hinduism (36%)

19. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (36%)

20. Sikhism (36%)

21. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (33%)

22. Scientology (31%)

23. New Thought (31%)

24. Eastern Orthodox (30%)

25. Roman Catholic (30%)

26. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)

27. Jehovah's Witness (24%)

I am aparently 100% a Secular Humanist. Here is some info on Secular Humanism.

Secular Humanism

Belief in Deity: Not considered important. Most Humanists are atheists or agnostics.

Incarnations: Same as above.

Origins of universe/life: The scientific method is most respected as the means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of the universe and life.

After death: An afterlife or spiritual existence after death is not recognized.

Why evil? No concept of “evil.” Reasons for wrongdoing are explored through scientific methods, e.g. through study of sociology, psychology, criminology, etc.

Salvation: No concept of afterlife or spiritual liberation or salvation. Realizing ones personal potential and working for the betterment of humanity through ethical consciousness and social works are considered paramount, but from a naturalistic rather than supernatural standpoint.

Undeserved suffering: No spiritual reasons, but rather a matter of human vulnerability to misfortune, illness, and victimization.

Contemporary Issues: The American Humanist Association endorses elective abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and non-violence, and environmental protection.

Remarkably this is actually amazingly close to the truth. Aside from a few minor disagreements on comtemporay issues, and the fact that I dismiss nothing entirely, all of the above is true for the most part. You don't get that very often.

#1 Unarius Society

#2 Friends of Osho

#3 The People's Temple

#4 Moonies (Unification Church)

#5 Falun Gong

#6 ISKCON (Hare Krishna)

#7 Cult of Lord Jesus Christ

#8 Aetherius Society

#9 Blavatsky Foundation

#10 Eckankar

#11 International Raelian Movement

#12 The Discordians

#13 Church of the Subgenius

#14 Scientology Pro Con

#15 Church of Christ

#16 Order of the Solar Temple

#17 Thelema/OTO

Using this I should become a member of the Uranius Academy Of Science.

Unarius is a teaching of the interdimensional psychodynamics of the mind.
Worldwide, there is substantial agreement that humankind is being prepared for a momentous change in consciousness, which will effect all institutions on earth as we come to the end of the sixth cycle of the recessional in the year 2001. The Unarius Educational Foundation provides information about the evolutionary design of life, the physics describing the mind and brain/body system, explaining the nature of consciousness substantiated by an interdimensional science of life.

The Unarius Academy of Science is an educational and scientific organization, founded in 1954 by Dr. Ernest L. and Ruth E. Norman, Cosmic Visionaries. The founders laid down a bridge that is a cosmic link to the Space Brothers. Unarius, an acronym for Universal Articulate Interdimensional Understanding of Science is dedicated to exploring the frontiers of science and expanding our awareness and connection with galactic intelligence. The Unarius Science of Life teaching is the basis of the galactic intelligence of advanced, intelligent persons.

As an Educational Foundation . . . We teach a corrective and preventive psychotherapy based upon the physics of reincarnation, a comprehensive curriculum of self-mastery that explains the interactive, regenerative function of the mind and brain-body system. In advancing the knowledge of the spiritual principles of life, the teachings of Unarius explain the origin of atomic life within the new holographic paradigm of an interdimensional science.

As a Research Institution . . . The broad concourse of life after life, of life and death, is an inner directed study of the mind, a research into the psychodynamics of consciousness. Its purpose is to awaken the individual to previous life encounters, the clairvoyant aptitude of the mind, and the reality of one's spiritual connection.

As a Membership Organization . . . As a member, you will discover the many-faceted activities of the Academy's curriculum. Admission to seminars, lectures, and special events is available to members at a reduced cost. Also available at reduced cost are books as well as the Unarius video programs that air on public access cable, nationally and internationally.

Not sure how much of this applies to me. But once again it is the quest to find enlightenment through scientific method, which I would have to say is quite high on my list of possible beliefs. Don't plan to join a cult any time soon though - lol.

Yes, sorry about that. I've edited the original post for the correct link - following through Bigmacscanlon's directions. :)

Glad to be of help!

That Selectsmart.com is great. The answers to everything, through 10'000 selectors - genius!

Hm...interesting -

Your Results:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
Browse Neo-Pagan related books. Click here for info

2. Mahayana Buddhism (93%)
Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books. Click here for info

3. New Age (91%)
Browse New Age related books. Click here for info

4. Hinduism (80%)
Browse Hinduism related books. Click here for info

5. Taoism (79%)
Browse Taoism related books. Click here for info

6. Unitarian Universalism (78%)
Browse Unitarian Universalism related books. Click here for info

7. Sikhism (73%)
Browse Sikhism related books. Click here for info

8. Liberal Quakers (71%)
Browse Liberal Quakers related books. Click here for info

9. Theravada Buddhism (69%)
Browse Theravada Buddhism related books. Click here for info

10. Scientology (68%)
Browse Scientology related books. Click here for info

11. Jainism (64%)
Browse Jainism related books. Click here for info

12. New Thought (62%)
Browse New Thought related books. Click here for info

13. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (55%)
Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books. Click here for info

14. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books. Click here for info

15. Reform Judaism (47%)
Browse Reform Judaism related books. Click here for info

16. Secular Humanism (44%)
Browse Secular Humanism related books. Click here for info

17. Orthodox Quaker (37%)
Browse Orthodox Quaker related books. Click here for info

18. Orthodox Judaism (32%)
Browse Orthodox Judaism related books. Click here for info

19. Bahá'í Faith (31%)
Browse Bahá'í Faith related books. Click here for info

20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (27%)
Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books. Click here for info

21. Eastern Orthodox (21%)
Browse Eastern Orthodox related books. Click here for info

22. Islam (21%)
Browse Islam related books. Click here for info

23. Roman Catholic (21%)
Browse Roman Catholic related books. Click here for info

24. Seventh Day Adventist (21%)
Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books. Click here for info

25. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (21%)
Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books. Click here for info

26. Non-theist (20%)
Browse Non-theist related books. Click here for info

27. Jehovah's Witness (13%)
Browse Jehovah's Witness related books. Click here for info

I did this. I'm nearer agnostic so I don't really understand the results.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
Browse Unitarian Universalism related books. Click here for info

2. Theravada Buddhism (94%)
Browse Theravada Buddhism related books. Click here for info

3. Secular Humanism (92%)
Browse Secular Humanism related books. Click here for info

4. Liberal Quakers (87%)
Browse Liberal Quakers related books. Click here for info

5. Neo-Pagan (79%)

6. Taoism (74%)
Browse Taoism related books. Click here for info

7. Mahayana Buddhism (71%)

8. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (71%)
Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books. Click here for info

9. New Age (67%)
Browse New Age related books. Click here for info

10. Non-theist (63%)
Browse Non-theist related books. Click here for info

11. Reform Judaism (60%)
Browse Reform Judaism related books. Click here for info

12. Sikhism (60%)
Browse Sikhism related books. Click here for info

13. Jainism (60%)

14. Orthodox Quaker (55%)
Browse Orthodox Quaker related books. Click here for info

15. Scientology (43%)
Browse Scientology related books. Click here for info

16. Hinduism (43%)
Browse Hinduism related books. Click here for info

17. Bahá'í Faith (40%)

18. New Thought (40%)
Browse New Thought related books. Click here for info

19. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)
Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books. Click here for info

20. Orthodox Judaism (30%)
Browse Orthodox Judaism related books. Click here for info

21. Islam (27%)
Browse Islam related books. Click here for info

22. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (27%)
Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books. Click here for info

23. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (27%)
Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books. Click here for info

24. Seventh Day Adventist (27%)
Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books. Click here for info

25. Eastern Orthodox (17%)
Browse Eastern Orthodox related books. Click here for info

26. Roman Catholic (17%)
Browse Roman Catholic related books. Click here for info

27. Jehovah's Witness (15%)

Do we choose religion or, does it choose us?

The first few results are as follows:

1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)

2. Bahá'í Faith (90%)

3. Neo-Pagan (87%)

4. Jainism (84%)

Namaste all,

here's mine :)

1. Theravada Buddhism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)

3. Mahayana Buddhism (94%)

4. Neo-Pagan (86%)

5. Liberal Quakers (80%)

6. New Age (79%)

7. Secular Humanism (78%)

8. Sikhism (76%)

9. Hinduism (73%)

10. Taoism (73%)

not bad :) considering that i am currently a Buddhist ;)

Glad to see you score highly on Buddhism - I wondered how random the test could be. That is, assuming that you are towards the Theravada School, rather than Mahayana. :)

I said:
Glad to see you score highly on Buddhism - I wondered how random the test could be. That is, assuming that you are towards the Theravada School, rather than Mahayana. :)

Namaste Brian,

i don't think that the test could ascertain the difference, given it's very generalized nature :) the actual difference between Hinyana (Theraveda) and Mahayana is one of emphasis rather than a doctrinal one... but no matter :) it was a fun little thing to do :)

I never did post my results. I wonder why? I believe it was headed by Universal Unitarianism which was no great surprise. The test does not seem random but as Vajradhara has pointed out it does have limitations. Fun first.
:)

Interesting. Not sure how accurate it is from 20 questions, but interesting. Interesting that main-line protestant (my religion of birth) is at 40%... well down the chart, and Conservative Judaism (my current membership) is not far above it [may explain why i've waited so long to move my membership to the synagogue my ex moved the kids to... the one we were at is Reform..].

# 1. Neo-Pagan (100%) Browse Neo-Pagan related books. Click here for info
# 2. New Age (88%) Browse New Age related books. Click here for info
# 3. Unitarian Universalism (87%) Browse Unitarian Universalism related books. Click here for info
# 4. Mahayana Buddhism (78%) Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books. Click here for info
# 5. Reform Judaism (77%) Browse Reform Judaism related books. Click here for info
# 6. Sikhism (77%) Browse Sikhism related books. Click here for info
# 7. Liberal Quakers (76%) Browse Liberal Quakers related books. Click here for info

Hi brucegdc, and welcome to comparative-religion.com!

Strange to see neither your protestant roots or Judaism path showing highly there - are you sure you're not a closet Neo-pagen New Age Unitarian Universalist Buddhist? :)

I said:
Hi brucegdc, and welcome to comparative-religion.com!

Strange to see neither your protestant roots or Judaism path showing highly there - are you sure you're not a closet Neo-pagen New Age Unitarian Universalist Buddhist? :)
Eeek.... Exposed!!!

Interesting combination there :) Energy crystals on the chakras while reading the Torah in English anyone?

What can I say - I'm somewhat my own character, marching to a different flautist.

I'm not too surprised about the absence of the protestantism - it never did make sense to me - hence migrating away. And Reform Judaism at least came up in the top 5. Guess I have to keep looking into things (like anything is going to stop me.....).

Sounds interesting though - Reform Judaism, from what I've seen of it, has a fascinating perspective. Maybe I should seek something specific for a new topic for discussion? Hm...

This was actually very helpful to me. There's a UU church that's set back in woods--very lovely, only a couple of miles from me. I was also looking at a Unity Church that's farther away and has services in a school. While Unity beliefs seemed closer to my own, I really like the convenience and ambiance of the UU church.

I took both the main test (UU came up first) and the Christian test in which UU came up first and Unity came up second.

Guess I know which service I'm going to next Sunday!

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%) 2. Neo-Pagan (96%) 3. New Age (94%) 4. Liberal Quakers (86%) 5. Mahayana Buddhism (80%) 6. Theravada Buddhism (78%)

I did that test before and the first and second positions were interchanged.

So I guess my Unitarian Universalism side is getting stronger? :) The only problem is : I have no idea what it is even after having read the site's description. It seems like a group of different believers who accept eachothers? Both type of Buddhism have also gained some positions...

I really suggest to all who do the test to save the results on your computer and compare it after a year. really interesting :)

Kal / Alex

I'm glad to see people are finding it useful - though do remember it's more a fun game than a proper objective appraisal of your personal spiritual outlook. :)

As for the Unitarian Universalists - so far as a I know, a brief history:

A bunch of Christians in 19th century USA said "We think everyone is saved, not just those who think they are!" So they founded themselves as the Universalists - ie, Universal Salvation.

Another bunch of Christians in 19th century USA said "There is only one expression of God, not three as there be in the Trinity!" So they founded themselves as the Unitarians - ie, just one big expression of Divinity.

Then at some later date they both looked at each other and said "Hey, we both don't like doctrine! Let's get together!" So they merged as the Unitarian-Universalists.

Today they continue their complete rejection of doctrine - to the point that the UU no longer advocates any real subscription to the concept of "Jesus".

In mainstream Christian circles, the Unitarian-Universalists are regarded as heretics...too liberal by far.

:)

Back