The Dead

didymus

Reaction score
I have been noticing the use of "the dead" in the Bible and came to the conclusion that many times this is most likely figurative and not literal. The verse that jumps out at me the most is Matthew 8:22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow me and let the dead bury their own dead."

I am positive that Jesus was not talking of actual dead people burying each other. He meant those that are dead in their transgressions. Ephesians 2:1 And he made alive, who were dead in trespass and sins, in which you walked according to the course of the world..........

1Timothy 5:6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

If taken from this point of view then certain other statements in the Bible need to be interpreted accordingly. I believe that Jesus ' message of repentance and being born again was a raising up of those that were dead in sin. John 3:3 "I tell you the truth noone can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

The verse i can't figure out is 1 Corinthians 15:29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30And as for ourselves why do we endanger ourselves every hour?

I understand the endangerment every hour but not the part of being baptized for the dead.

1Corinthians 15:35 But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what body will they come? How foolish! What you sew does not come to life unless it dies."

Romans 6:2 We died to sin
6:11 count yourselves dead to sin

I think Paul is speaking of a symbolic resurrection of the believers in Christ here. They are sewing life in christ, it can't come to life until "it dies", what is dying? the sin nature, they rise in Christ.

didymus said:
I have been noticing the use of "the dead" in the Bible and came to the conclusion that many times this is most likely figurative and not literal. The verse that jumps out at me the most is Matthew 8:22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow me and let the dead bury their own dead."

I am positive that Jesus was not talking of actual dead people burying each other. He meant those that are dead in their transgressions. Ephesians 2:1 And he made alive, who were dead in trespass and sins, in which you walked according to the course of the world..........

1Timothy 5:6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

If taken from this point of view then certain other statements in the Bible need to be interpreted accordingly. I believe that Jesus ' message of repentance and being born again was a raising up of those that were dead in sin. John 3:3 "I tell you the truth noone can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

The verse i can't figure out is 1 Corinthians 15:29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30And as for ourselves why do we endanger ourselves every hour?

I understand the endangerment every hour but not the part of being baptized for the dead.

1Corinthians 15:35 But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what body will they come? How foolish! What you sew does not come to life unless it dies."

Romans 6:2 We died to sin
6:11 count yourselves dead to sin

I think Paul is speaking of a symbolic resurrection of the believers in Christ here. They are sewing life in christ, it can't come to life until "it dies", what is dying? the sin nature, they rise in Christ.
right it is not dead people with shovels at a funeral. there are several ways a man can be dead.
i think this one is more like letting the blind lead the blind & they all fall into the ditch.

then the other, it is like dying to the flesh because he says I DIE DAILY.

there is another place where Paul makes mention of being baptized with Christ. Being baptized-being buried with Christ & if we are buried with him, we shall also be resurected with him.

there is a lot going on in Chapter 15 Didymus. it does tie in with the scriptures you have, plus some other ones.

the kernel of corn dies as it is sown into the ground, but it puts forth a new crop. then he shows how it is with man too. (flesh)

it is tricky.:)

15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
15:30 And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?
15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our LORD, I die daily.
15:32 If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.
15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
15:36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
15:37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
15:38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

What is your interpretaion of being baptized for the dead?

didymus said:

From my handy dandy Study NIV (don't throw tomatoes at your computer, it will mess up your keyboard :) ):

1 Cor 15:29 The present tense suggests that at Corinth people were currently being baptized for the dead. But becasue Paul does not give any more information about the practice, many attempts have been made to interpret the concept. Three of these are: 1. Living believers were being patized for believers who dies before they were baptized, so that they too, in a sense, would not miss out on baptism. 2. Chritians were being baptized in anticipation of the resurrection of the dead. 3. New converts were being baptized to fill the ranks of Christians who had dies. At any rate, Paul mentions this custome almost in passing, using it in his arguments substantiating the resurrection of the dead, but without necessarily approving the practice. Probably the passage will always remain obscure.

I typed this in so please forgive typos.

lunamoth

didymus said:
baptized is the same thing as being buried. i think it is a question here rather than a statement.
i think he is trying to make a point that we baptize (bury) the dead (old man), then come up a new man.

Peter 3:21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4-5 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

water baptism is not the same as the baptism of the holy ghost...baptized with fire...

Back