Advice for non-Hindu

DT Strain

Spiritual Naturalist
Reaction score
United States. www.SpiritualNaturalistSociety.org
Hello,

I'm looking for a good word for a name to some philosophic concepts of mine. I was wondering, what is your interpretation of the meaning of this word upon first seeing it?

word: Ajani

I have no idea what the general connotation is for this word among speakers of the language - thanks much :)

well, there is no hindu language as such. i know hindi and there is no such word in my language. there is a similar word though- agyani which means ignorant.

hope it helps. might be able to suggest some words if u elaborate on your concept

I have no idea what the general connotation is for this word among speakers of the language - thanks much
I'm not sure which language you (DT Strain) are referring to here. I have not heard this word in the Indian languages which I know - Hindi, Tamil.

It seems that 'ajani' is a Sanskrit word, and seems to have been used in the Rig Veda. I don't have more than a basic knowledge of Sanskrit. I found this word in an online Sanskrit dictionary (Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon). There were different meanings in the dictionary as follows:

(1) a path , road
(2) a stick for driving
(3) birth , descent

It's important in Sanskrit to know exactly how to pronounce a word. Different emphasis on the same syllable in a Sanskrit word could change its meaning.

Yes, Ajani is a Sanskrit word meaning "path". This is one reason why I like using the name for my philosophy. However, I knew that it was related to more modern languages in the Indian region so I wasn't sure if maybe the name carried over to modern times. What's worse is that I suspected, if it did, that it could have a different connotation today, which might be negative in some way (or the name of a popular restaurant chain or something).

I find it encouraging that you didn't recognize the word, as that probably means it's good to use. Sangam, I'm a little concerned at it being a little similar to the word for "ignorant" - do you think Hindi speakers would think "ignorant" upon hearing the word "Ajani"? And Indogenes, how would you suppose Ajani should be pronounced?

Thanks for the info all! :)

DT Strain said:
Yes, Ajani is a Sanskrit word meaning "path".....it could have a different connotation today, which might be negative in some way (or the name of a popular restaurant chain or something).
Sure, why not?! If Nirvana can be the name of a rock band, why not a restaurant chain called 'Ajani'?;)

DT Strain said:
Sangam, I'm a little concerned at it being a little similar to the word for "ignorant" - do you think Hindi speakers would think "ignorant" upon hearing the word "Ajani"?
Apart from the Hindi word 'agyani', which Sangam mentioned, the other Hindi/Urdu word which I think looks similar or close to this word is 'anjaan', which means 'unknown' or 'unfamiliar'.

DT Strain said:
And Indogenes, how would you suppose Ajani should be pronounced?
In very simplistic terms, here is how you should pronounce it (I wish I could have produced an audio file for you!): break the word up as : a - ja - ni

pronounce 'a' same as 'a' in the word 'about'
pronounce 'ja' same as 'ju' in the word 'jungle'
pronounce 'ni' same as 'ni' in the word 'nickel' or the word 'nit'

Hope this helps!:)

Indogenes said:
In very simplistic terms, here is how you should pronounce it (
P.S. I forgot to mention that this is the pronunciation for the word 'ajani' which means 'Path' or 'Road'. It is not the same pronunciation for 'ajani' for its other meanings which I mentioned in an earlier post.

DT Strain said:
Thanks much! Where is the accent? I'm thinking the "ja".

The hardest part, for me, is thinking of the ja as ju (ahhjuunee instead of ahhjaanee).
Sorry, looks (or should I say, "sounds"?) like I confused you. It's neither ahhjuunee nor ahhjaanee.

To use your method, it's pronounced as 'ahhjahhni' - short on both the 'a' and 'i'.

The second 'a' in the word is pronounced the same as the first 'a' - as in the word 'about'.

The 'i' at the end of the word is short - not elongated like 'ee' but short as in the words 'in' or 'if'.

Does this help?? I wish I had an audio file!!

Back