Ancient Egyptian scrolls undergo new deciphering process

Discussion in 'History and Mythology' started by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

2. alexa

alexa somewhere in time

Re: Something that might be of interest (please move if it's in the wrong forum)

Looks like they found out a real treasure in there. Not only writings of Homer, Sophocles, and Euripides, but historical events and biblical informations. Thanks Phyllis. You gave me something interesting to read for this week-end. :)

3. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

Re: Something that might be of interest (please move if it's in the wrong forum)

Great article, and moved to the Ancient section - also, title edited to be a little more descriptive. :)

It is a great piece of reading, though - it's especially interesting to read the point about Revelations stating 616, not 666 - I'm sure I've read this elsewhere before, with an argument claiming it was changed to fit a numerology describing Nero.

Great to see lost Greek texts coming back, though - loss of literature always seems a particular tragedy.

4. Postmaster

Postmaster Well-Known Member

This is excellent news! Thanks for telling us.

5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hey, alexa:

Did you do the "weekend reading"? If so, what're your thoughts on it? *meowr*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

6. alexa

alexa somewhere in time

Nope. I had unplanned guests. :mad: And this week-end I'm expecting a friend from the states. Well, I cannot really complain as he's planning a trip to Canada for a few months now.

I read the article entirely when you post it, Phyllis, but I would like to read all those around it to find out what's hidden in those scrolls. I hope no other guests for next week-end. :)

7. juantoo3

juantoo3 ....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Kindest Regards, Phyllis!

Thank you very much!

I missed this the first time around. Took a look, too bad I don't read Greek. ;)

Really nice would be access to the translations, but since they are selling books...I don't see that as likely anytime soon.

8. alexa

alexa somewhere in time

Hey Phyllis,

I've finally searched around on the links provided with the article. Unfortunately, I didn't find what I was looking for. *meowr* ;)

Still, I've found interesting informations, like the earliest use of the word "Christian" on a papyrus proven by an arrest letter; the period of Christians' persecution (emperor Valerian AD 257 and 258); The "logia papayrus" : Saying of Jesus; fragments of St Matthew's gospel, fragments from the OT, Homeric versus from Iliad, etc. It's more an "aperçu", than the entire translation.

Anyway, here is the link for more information :

http://www.papyrology.ox.ac.uk/VExhibition/introduction/intro_contents.html

9. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Now I've gotta find time to peruse (or is it purruse :D) your link. *le sigh* :p

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. alexa

alexa somewhere in time

No vacation ?

11. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Vacation? What's that? *le sigh* If it's not one thing, it's another. :rolleyes: I believe you can understand/empathize. :p

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine