Enlightment and the Brain. Is it all in your head?

human1111

Reaction score
Hi all. I've found this interesting article about meditation, and possible explanations for what has happened to Buddha in his life. The article is long and hard to read, but interesting. I would like to hear your opinion on it.
http://www.innerworlds.50megs.com/enlightenment.htm

The article is too big to cut and paste.
It explains the neurological reasons for
Buddha seing Mara and Gods
Buddha having to look at venus after enlightnement
Inability to verbalise the truth
Feeling of no-self, bliss and so on.

Please read the article, I am interested in your comments.

human1111 said:
Hi all. I've found this interesting article about meditation, and possible explanations for what has happened to Buddha in his life. The article is long and hard to read, but interesting. I would like to hear your opinion on it.
http://www.innerworlds.50megs.com/enlightenment.htm

The article is too big to cut and paste.
It explains the neurological reasons for
Buddha seing Mara and Gods
Buddha having to look at venus after enlightnement
Inability to verbalise the truth
Feeling of no-self, bliss and so on
Please read the article, I am interested in your comments.
Is your interest here, the "mechanics/physiology" of the experiences in and of itself or as an ultimate explanation? They're discussing what some have termed "neurotheology-" see for instance, http://www.answers.com/topic/neurotheology for an overview of it & reactions to it.

Just as we cannot reduce to & "explain" any human element: anger, love, devotion, "God," "Buddha," "I", or "You," to the single dimension of physicality, though perhaps interesting, wouldn't look for the exlanation here alone. In fact, would simply advise you to simply look, simply hear, and see "what develops." :) Have fun, Earl

Its an interesting piece, and while I would say it is written by someone who does not understand the religions he seems intent on de-bunking, some of his conclusions are quite close to buddhist beliefs (but from a very diferent POV). For example the theory that to halt and analyze a negative thought as soon as it occurs will train the mind not to feel negative thoughts.

I like the fact that although he does not agree with the ultimate goal he does see the good that comes from meditation and even encourages his readers to take up the practice. I would categorize this as positive scepticism.

Interesting work. It seems to be pointing to the idea that all of our thoughts, feelings, experiences, things that make up our personality, can be boiled down to changes in brain chemistry and electromagnetic activity. Perhaps this is all we are.

As far as Buddhism goes, I feel this sort of work may take some of the "mystery" out of our practice, but I wouldn't say it debunks it. It probably confirms some teachings, and may show that our route to development is internal rather than external. We know that meditation can change our minds, and there must be a mechanism for it. Personally, I've skimmed through some of this work with interest, but that's as far as I'll take it. We may know how our minds work, but can we work our minds? That takes practice.

This line of investigation has been ongoing for many years now. Read William James Varieties of Religious Experiences in which James takes up this discussion in his first lecture. Interestingly enough some scientists cultivate the view that the brain's functions generate mind. To me this seems like saying that the functions of my computer generate me! So then an updated koan might be: "Show me your original face before you bought your Hewlett Packard. :)

Peace

Mark

Paladin said:
So then an updated koan might be: "Show me your original face before you bought your Hewlett Packard. :)
Funny. I spent a particularly rough college semester one year slogging through a course called "Philosophy of the Human Mind" that dealt exclusively with materialist and dualist perspectives on the relationship between mind and brain. Introspection is our only tool for examining consciousness or self-awareness and by definition lacks the objectivity required for falsifiable science. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the relationship between mind and brain (or lack thereof) is unlikely to ever be proven by scientific method. The "mind" problem just can't be objectively studied.

But then again, they said we would never harness alternating current, too. ;)

I find the mechanisms of the brain to be fascinating. I was initially bothered by the idea that nirvana is "all in my head", but then I realized that everything is essentially in my head. :) "With our mind, we create the world", right?

Is nirvana or enlightenment actually stepping out of your head and seeing from an unbiased view. Or if it's just cleansing your head enough to finally be happy?

My view at this moment is to keep practicing because I truly think that being happy ... no matter how real it really is (depending on how you define real of course), it seems better for everyone to be happy than unhappy.

Just my humble opinion. Thanks for the article!

Metta,
J

Hi,
When we experience the present moment without a thought arising the awareness can become aware of itself.
This is enlightenment.

It isn't something that happens in the brain, it is when nothing happens in the brain.
It is when the brain stops clinging and allows itself to flow and change.

painter man,
You present most perfect sense.
May I add from my own experience, there are many levels of enlightenment, and each level correspondent to many. First is the awakening, the awareness of interior and exterior self. The second to understand the source of awareness and connection, the third unity beyond awareness, created beyond the ocean of consciousness, no longer swimming in the ocean, we stand upright, our heads above the water and ultimately above the clouds. The brain is realigned through consciousness progression. The exterior mind or exterior consiousness is as a transmitter, the brain as a reciever, it sorts and codes to the faculty known as ones own mind. Tuned to the essential core of our divinity we become the strengh of our own being.
All from the source of God or godliness - god lines- for how could it be otherwise.

Back