No single Hindu faith?

Awaiting_the_fifth

Where is my mind?
Reaction score
I've heard it said many times on this forum that there is no single Hindu faith and that the term Hindu is a western invention.

But

Although there are many hindu sects worshipping different Gods, do they not all accept the existance of the many gods even while choosing to worship only one? and do not all Hindus share a beliefe in Braman? This suggests to me that there are many traditions of the same religion (like christianity) rather than completely seperate religions.

Comments please?

Dear Awaiting_the_fifth

I've heard it said many times on this forum that there is no single Hindu faith and that the term Hindu is a western invention.

Well the term "Hindu" is not an western invention unless you count the Persians as western.

But

Although there are many hindu sects worshipping different Gods, do they not all accept the existance of the many gods even while choosing to worship only one? and do not all Hindus share a beliefe in Braman? This suggests to me that there are many traditions of the same religion (like christianity) rather than completely seperate religions.

You have a valid point here, I think the best way to define Hinduism must be henotheistic. The reason I think that Hinduism is so complex is because it is not centered about a specific person like Buddhism where you have Buddha, Christianity where you Have Jesus. Also, I think it is fair to say that Hinduism is a clash between Vedic and pre-Vedic culture, which makes it even more diverse than many other belief systems. I cannot say for sure about whether all believe in Brahma, however one thing I do know is that many, especially the young people, are only hindus merely because of their birth and not because they have any set of beliefs. I think it all boils down to this usual question "what makes one a hindu".

pirayaani

Originally posted by pirayaani
I cannot say for sure about whether all believe in Brahma, however one thing I do know is that many, especially the young people, are only hindus merely because of their birth and not because they have any set of beliefs. I think it all boils down to this usual question "what makes one a hindu".
Please excuse my going a bit off-topic, but your explanation reminds me of something said about Judaism: a person is Jewish if his/her mother was Jewish (or s/he converts). It doesn't matter what s/he believes (or doesn't believe.) Corretct me here if I'm reading into your explanation. :)

I shall return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
pirayaani said:
Dear Awaiting_the_fifth

You have a valid point here, I think the best way to define Hinduism must be henotheistic.
pirayaani

Henotheistic would be appropriate for those who are devoted to Shiva or Vishnu or something. Otherwise I think polytheistic works too. This question is kind of like the question about what makes a witch, wiccan or pagan.. when there are a multitude of ways to go about something it's hard to find a common ground that incorporates *everyone*. I think the big difference is that witches, wiccans and pagans seems to like to bitch about it more. The labelling and structuring of religious practice and experience is much less important in the east and especially in India. They just have a different way of conceptualizing religion.

-T

Hinduism is a clash between Vedic and pre-Vedic culture
Can U explain this a bit , the pre-vedic concepts/beliefs/culture ? I thought hinduism started with vedas . But there are older books too , right ? like Manu Shmirti etc

farhan said:
I thought hinduism started with vedas . But there are older books too , right ? like Manu Shmirti etc

Namaste farhan,

No, it's not that hinduism started with veda. The whole creation cycle starts with the veda. There are no older books or divine knowledge. Veda are eternal.
Manu smriti is human authorship.

Back