Could Rastas and Christians Really Unite?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by CanuckRasta, May 21, 2005.

1. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

I think that is the FUNNIEST thing I have heard in a long damn while...

Not sure why, but lemme venture an explanation: it seems to point to the fallacy of faith when used as a security blanket, as opposed to people who take faith as a jump-off point from which to do good works--those who are empowered by thier faith.

"No one is going to risk going to hell just for the sake of empowerment." I love it. I wish I had it on a bumpersticker or something. :p

Seriously, though, and to kinda speak to the issue at hand, Rastafari and Christianity... So, I've been peeking into Rastafari as a faith over the past week or so and, while I am intrigued, I am also perplexed. What intrigues me about Rasta is that it does seem to be a faith of individual empowerment and social change. I love that about it. The thing that strikes me as strange is all of the obscure Biblical prophecies and references. One question that comes to mind is, "Why Halie Salassie?" What's the deal with this Emperor of Ethiopa that he is revealed as God incarnate? So much of Reggae music, to me, seems to point to the divinity and inherent worth in each human being, so I don't get it--why elevate a dictator to status of Saviour?

Christians and Rastas uniting? I have to side with the nay-sayers on this one. Like truthseeker pointed out, Christians can't even stop disagreeing with themselves, so I find it highly unlikely that they will create a smorgasboard of faith with dreadlocked, ganja-tokin' soul rebels. ;) And maybe that's a good thing. :D

2. Bandit

Bandit New Member

i think that was the night that Truthseeker sat down on the camp fire by mistake & said, "My buns are on fire" . :D

3. truthseeker

truthseeker New Member

4. tru

tru Spiritual Man

And blessed are they that believe without seeing.

I don't remember the exact book, but I do remember reading that the Ethiopian eunuch was likely of Jewish descent as many were spread abroad the known world during that time. And became a proselyte christian via the apostle Philip.

But I do find most of what you mentioned in my studies.

5. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

Are Rastas Nazarite's?

6. CanuckRasta

CanuckRasta Rastaman

For the most part, yes. But I am not.

7. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

What do consider yourself?
    Is there any biblical name or reference for Rastas?
    I know Samson in the bible was a "nazarite" from birth, would he be considered a Rasta If he lived today?

8. Azure24

Azure24 New Member

I know this is not related to the topic but Judah B isn't really new just look at the joined...Though i do see this is only your 2nd post.

Sayonara!

9. shadowman

shadowman New Member

he was elevated to that level because it gave blacks hope to see soemone like him and learn about him, it helped give momentum to a movement alrerady in action with roots in garveyism, ethiopianism, and older african and caribbean revolts and revolutionary thought