Latest Big Cat sighting in the UK

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The issue of Big Cats in the UK has been simmering for so long - now here's the latest story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3144865.stm

A man out for a stroll near his home has filmed what experts say is the most conclusive evidence that big cats exist in the wild in Cornwall. Clifford Knott was walking near his home when he spotted the large animal, described as about the size of a golden retriever dog, prowling across the edge of a corn field. Mike Thomas at Newquay Zoo said the footage was the best he had seen in 10 years of studying the phenomenon of big cats in the UK. He said: "I think this is very exciting and people should be excited because it shows a big cat.

"I can't pinpoint exactly what big cat, but I would say it is certainly a fair old size and something that doesn't normally belong here. "When we see the way that this cat moves, it is absolutely magnificent." Mr Knott said: "I was dumbfounded when I first saw it. "Everyone hopes they are going to walk into something like this, but I never expected to find something like that." Secret location Mr Thomas said it was likely the animal would remain in the area feeding on rats and mice until food runs short for a couple of weeks. Until then, the location is being kept secret so the creature is not disturbed. Some of the most notorious big cat sightings around the UK - including the Beast of Bodmin - have been in Cornwall. There have also been a number of big cat sightings in south Devon, according to the Plymouth-based British Big Cats Society. The society says it will unveil proof that big cats roam the UK in October. The Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs says there is no proof that big cats are roaming the British countryside.

And here's a picture - a phot-still - from the recording:

Thoughts?

Attachments

• big-cat.jpg
    big-cat.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 8,852
The photo-still could be anything!

I would guess that a single 'big cat' could probably remain elusive for quite some time in the Cornish countryside, but - if it does exists - I reckon it's likely to be a one off. Maybe escaped from a zoo or someone's illicit private collection.

It will undoubtedly end up at my house as that's where all other cats in the South West of England end up. When we moved here we had two cats; we've now got 4.91 and had another 6 attempting to make their home here in that last 2 years.

I'l post an exclusive photo here when it turns up!

Looks like a big racoon to me. :D What kinds of big cats can be found in the UK? Mountain lions/cougars?

luna

I have personal experience, and perhaps a sighting of such a Big Cat when I lived at a place called Cairnbaan, which is near Lochgilphead in Argyll, Scotland.

One evening as normal I was taking our pet alsatian dog, Lucy, for her nightly walk before bed. Cairnbaan is a tiny hamlet and only a few distant lights served to illuminate on this cloudy dark night. But toward a stand of tall spruce trees I saw a shape in the dark that was close to the same size as my alsatian dog, perhaps a little larger if anything. Lucy herself behaved in a way that I had never previously or after seen in her, she was a very placid dog. Her hackles were raised on end and she was growling teeth bared at this shape. Although not on a leash she did not leave my side however.

Over the following days I took walks up into the area beyond the spruces and on one of them found a cat dropping. I do know it was a cat dropping, I had self-taught myself how to identify all of Scotlands native animal droppings and clearly distinguish a cat from a fox or an otter. This was not from a domestic cat, nor from the larger native scottish wild cat but from a far larger animal.

This incident took place in the early 90's and at the time in that area there were many reports of a puma sized cat being spotted in the vicinity. Whilst I cannot really trust my eyes on that night, because of the dark I was amply perseuaded of it's existance by that dropping.

My folks have retired to Bodmin, Cornwall. There the 'beast of bodmin' is said to be a black panther. There was a large release of big cats into the wild in the 1980's in the UK following strict new laws on keeping them. Its no real suprise that such masters of stealth continue to hang on out there.

David

Well at least the poor beasts have the decency to stay hidden, here in Colorado they have a tendency to chase down small pets and joggers :)

The issue of Big Cats in the UK has been simmering for so long - now here's the latest story:

BBC NEWS | England | Cornwall | 'Big cat' excites experts

And here's a picture - a phot-still - from the recording:

Thoughts?

I know this is old... But I had to mention that I live south of Plymouth... :D And I swear as your god as my witness lol that me and my wife saw a large cat in the moorlands...

Back