phenomenon arising from either orographic lifting or volcanic

activity. "Nephele" is the name of a Greek deity but also means "cloud". A

cloud enveloped the top of Mt. Sinai during the Sinitic theophany and

a cloud enveloped the "Mount of Transfiguration". At the Ascension

"a cloud received him out of their sight" and Christ is to

"come with the clouds of heaven." Can the claim that these clouds

were supernatural "clouds of glory" and not mere natural clouds

superstitiously or ignorantly misunderstood be persuasively defended

without appeal to irrational leaps of faith?

Hello, Looking Up, and welcome to CR:) .

I believe the answer is "yes". But then, I also do not believe that faith is irrational.

Well-stated question--

InPeace,
InLove

Nothing miraculous can be demonstrated rationally, because that is the definition of miraculous, it is something which occurs that shouldn't. If it were rationally explainable, it wouldn't be a miracle.

That said, I don't think anything from that long in the past can be demonstrated to be anything at all. All we have to go on is what was reported by the people of the time, and they were people who didn't even have a conception of science as a distinct discipline.

reallY? so we must have the conception of science before we can have faith.
hmmm

yah i know, every new generation thinks they are outsmarting the ones before them.:)

No no Bandit, you misunderstand. We needn't have science to have faith, but we must have science to have a conception of faith as opposed to science. Point being simply that trying to ferret out the scientific from the spiritual from a time period when science didn't exist is nigh on to impossible. At that time period the question wouldn't have occured.

Cerealkiller said:
No no Bandit, you misunderstand. We needn't have science to have faith, but we must have science to have a conception of faith as opposed to science. Point being simply that trying to ferret out the scientific from the spiritual from a time period when science didn't exist is nigh on to impossible. At that time period the question wouldn't have occured.
yah. i think i see what you mean. i thought it was going to be another science vs. faith topic.
IOW, faith has been around a lot longer than science & science will never take the place of, or explain faith. somewhere in between is the miracle. (just thinking)
would you agree with that?

my favorite of them all is Earth Science. :)

Back