Ah! It Is Right For Me!

Raz0rClean

Half-Bloomed Lotus
Reaction score
I've just became sure of myself that Buddhism is perfect for myself. This after one full night of studying the teachings, reading the history, and getting some help from several websites. This may seem like such a short period of time to choose something so life-effecting, but in reality, If I would have looked in the right place, it would have only taken a few seconds. Upon reading a line on BuddhaNet, I was sure of myself. Here is the line that has captured my heart so rapidly:

"This makes Buddhism less of a fixed package of beliefs which is to be accepted in its entirety, and more of a teaching which each person learns and uses in their own way."

It might be hard to understand why such a seemingly insignificant line should have so much effect on me, so allow me to explain:

It seems to me that most religions in this world are a race. A race to capture more followers, and a race to control. Granted, this is before I've researched them deeply, and is said out of naivete. But a religion that offers its individuals to translate for themselves... to follow the rules by their own standards and beliefs... That seems like what a religion should be to me.

Namaste RazorClean,

choosing to engage in a spiritual praxis is always a difficult thing when one is unsure of how to go about making decision about which practice to engage in.

the "thing" that sealed the deal, as it were, for me, was something called the Kalamaa Sutta, of which the salient bit i'll post here:

The Criteria for Acceptance:

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."

The Criteria for Rejection:

"It is proper for you, Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain; uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful. Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them."

That is a wonderful passage! I "Notepadded" it and am going to keep it on my desktop. Thank you very much!

Back