One God with many names / One religion with many names

Nitai

Reaction score
Hello, or let me say Hare Krishna.

I would like you to give your opinions on this topic about one God with many names. To me it was always logical that God is one. I heard this in many religions. So this must be the absolute truth.

Is God Hindu, Muslim, Christian or above these designations? This is an interesting question. Let say in other planets and universes there are also religions with their particular name and particular name of God. Still if all of them describe the Supreme Lord in the more less same way they speak about same God.

One God with many names / one religion with many names.
Any thoughts about this?

hello nitai and welcome
i agree absolutely with this point of view. i believe that there is one God ....just people know him by different names and revere him by different ways. how much simpler it all would be if we stopped trying to give God a name and all just called him the Lord (for example) in whatever language, and if we all stopped insisting that "our way is the ONLY right way". pretty much all religions have the same basics....and the rest (in my opinion) is just cultural baggage....does it really matter?:cool:

You wrote that it would be a good that we stop to give names to God. I have a bit different viewpoint. Let me answer in codes.

* People are attached to particular name(s) of God
* they would rebel if we would like them to stop to call God by some name

* Actually God is unlimited, His qualities are unlimited too
* all His names are given according to His qualities
* all His names remind us of His greatness and sweetness
* His greatness and sweetness awake devotion to Him

* the same qualities of God are expressible in different languages
* CONCLUSION: there is basically no difference between names in different languages
* CONCLUSION 2: therefore people should not fight about which name is the best but rather encourage each other to chant the names they like

* actually the scriptures say that where the holy name of God is chanted there He appears.
* chanting His names is also the process of spiritual elevation
* why? Because His names are pure and thus They purify the soul

Hare Krishna

Hi Nitai, and welcome to CR. :)

And indeed, I'm sure there are people who would agree that God has many names.

However, I do believe that you misunderstand some of the core objections to this approach from different religious groups. For example, within Christianity, there is a lot of focus on Jesus as god-incarnate upon earth, which is obviously different to how Islam may perceive God.

I'm not sure how you deduce therefore that chanting should therefore be used - you also seem to have gone against your own logic - suggesting that God has many names, but that you happen to have a better name. :)

Gouranga!

Q. I do believe that you misunderstand some of the core objections to this approach from different religious groups. For example, within Christianity, there is a lot of focus on Jesus as god-incarnate upon earth, which is obviously different to how Islam may perceive God.

A. * Yes, interesting, even within Christianity there are discussions whether Jesus is God or not. But this would be different topic. The father is the same to who Jesus was praying. That everybody can agree.
* But anyway, as we like to appreciate the names of God of any religious groups, we can encourage them to chant those names.

Q. how you deduce that chanting should be used
A. * There are scriptural references for that in all religions.
* It would be interesting to have supporting references from many of you in this forum. I only know few of them.

Q. you also seem to have gone against your own logic - suggesting that God has many names, but that you happen to have a better name.
A. * the main principle is to remember God
* the easiest method is by chanting his holy name
* any of His many different holy names are very potent
* they purify the materialistic mentality and awake love of God
* somebody might like to chant Allah, somebody else will chant Jehovah and somebody else Hare Krishna.
* all who chant are magnanimous souls
* God looks everyones' sincere endeavor to please Him by chanting
* He rewards that endeavor awakening love of God.
* therefor chanting any name is equally good

* people are attached to chant the name of God they know in their particular religion.
* people of different religions should encourage each other to chant those names knowing what will be the ultimate goal
* this is how I see people of different religions can appreciate each other and unite, knowing well, they worship the same God.

Hare Krishna
Nitai Gaura premanade Hari Hari bol.

hello again/salam
to be honest, again i think chanting is just one way of doing it....which might not be everybody's cup of tea. some people might prefer silent contemplation for example. i don't really think it matters. to reverse a common saying....it ain't the way you do it, it's what you do. does it really matter how we revere God as long as we do?
going back to the question of names....there is a subtle difference between a name and a title or attribute. above i used the example of (the Lord)....i'm sure every religion has such terms as the Almighty, the Merciful, the Creator and Sustainer, the Forgiving, etc etc. i think by using these it would encourage us to understand that actually we are all talking about the same (person or being).
going off the subject slightly, but following on from what brian said.....it is strange that actually the biggest problem seems to be the monotheistic religions amongst themselves. they clearly are worshipping the same God yet the three run on one from the other and contradict each other and each claims that they are right and the others are wrong. as a monotheist, actually i find hinduism for example to be easier to deal with than the inter-monotheistic problem. to me hinduism is different.....yet the same....and there is no conflict.
quite how you get round the jewish/christian/muslim problem i don't know. the only way i can see is to drop the "absolute" truth bit and introduce a "maybe" clause somehow.
:confused:

Because Here in Amsterdam is already 23hI will only reply on the first part of the letter, tomorrow the second.

** YOU WROTE: I think chanting is just one way of doing it....which might not be every-body's cup of tea. some people might prefer silent contemplation for example. i don't really think it matters. to reverse a common saying....it ain't the way you do it, it's what you do. does it really matter how we revere God as long as we do?

## it is explained that silent meditation is for the very advanced devotees.
## but even they like loud chanting
## the point is that as more senses are engaged (tongue, ears, fingers - by counting beads) the better.
## REASON: the attention is greater what is the most important at hearing and chanting while meditating.
## the hearing and chanting is even more effective when a group of devotees chant the holy name together.
## the scriptures say that group chanting is hundred times more effective than individual chanting
## the scriptures also say that God likes to be more there where his devotees chant together then in a place where one individually performs meditation on Him.
## so, if you go for the more potent process then group chanting is more effective

## the tongue can engage in talking nonsense or spiritual things
## therefore it is said that spiritual life begins from the tongue
## and that is - by chanting the holy name of God.

## there are basically 9 processes that any bona fide religion has
## hearing, chanting, remembering, worshiping, serving the lotus feet of the Lord, offering prayers, carrying out the orders of the Lord, making friends with Him, and surrendering everything to Him.
## by performing any of these processes one can attain perfection
## some devotees perform few of them some all of them

## NOTE: for the neophyte devotee is recommended and is the most important the chanting of the holy name of the Lord
## REASONS: it's the easiest way to fix the mind on the lotus feet of God and
## selfrealization begins with the tongue
## there are many more reasons beyond these few basic ones

## by chanting the name you will see that your mind is more and more thinking about God, desiring to attain Him, and desiring to please Him
## these are the symptoms of advancement toward love of God
## chanting the names of God is the easiest way to please God
## you don't need any wealth, great theological knowledge etc
## one quickly get God's mercy and increasing lusting happiness
## so, make an experiment

We say - chant Hare Krishna and be Happy.
Of course you can choose any name of God

Gaura Premanande Hari Hari bol.
Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

There is only one religion for all people in the world. But that is not Christianity, nor Islam, nor Hinduism, nor any other religion of this world. So, what is then that religion I speak about? That is the eternal religion of the soul IOW love of God.

Using the analogy of the sun, we can understand that the sun is not American, Indian, European, African or whatever. The sun is just a one sun for everybody without discrimination. So, same is with God, He is not African, Muslim, Christian, Indian or whatever, nor is He whatever else He is called in other universes. He is free from all material designation and thus above all quarreling of his parts and parcels - the souls that are in this material world. He is equal to all and waits that everybody turn toward Him.

So, there is one religion, the religion of the soul. And there is one God, the God for all living entities. All the living entities should therefor live like one big family by casting aside all their material designations. This is because, just as God is not Hindu, Muslim, Christian etc, all his part and parcels, the souls are also originally free from such material designations.

When one understands the importance of being free from material designation at that time one can transcend the ignorance and passions of this material world living in brotherhood with all living entities and then start the practice of the eternal religion of the soul - awakening one's love of God.

Hare Krishna
Success

Nitai said:
* There are scriptural references for that in all religions.
* It would be interesting to have supporting references from many of you in this forum. I only know few of them.

Hare Krishna Nitai
Judeo-Christianity: "Oh,Give thanks unto the Lord, call upon His Name, make known His deeds among the people. Sing unto Him, sing Psalms unto Him, talk ye of all His wondrous works. Glory ye in His Holy Name. Let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord."
(Psalm 105)

Islam: "Praise the Name of the Lord, the Most High who hath created and completely formed His creatures and who determineth them to various ends and driveth them to attain the same."
(Al Quran)

Sikhism: "Sing and Praise His endless attributes. Singing and listening to His Name and keeping Love for Him in mind will make sorrows disappear and happiness will take the place, wherever you be."
(Guru Nanak)

Hinduism: "Of Him who is One, Sages speak as manifold and call Him by many Names. The Suras, Maharshis and Siddhas with joined hands invoke Him and cry 'All Hail', chanting His Praises with resounding songs."
(Rig Veda)

Buddhism: "If there are good men or good women who hear of Amitabha Buddha, and recite his name single mindedly and without confusion, for one day or two days or three days or four days or five days or six days or seven days, then when these people are about to die, Amitabha Buddha and all the sages who are with him will appear before them. When these people die, their minds will not fall into delusion, and they will attain rebirth in Amitabha Buddha's Land of Ultimate Bliss." (The Amitabha Sutra)

Hi, I'm new to the site, but the first thing I noticed was that I saw the same thoughts and you all agreed with how I felt. To me, there has always been one God, only one! Shouldn't matter what religion you purport to be a part of, there is only one God. Why can't everybody see that? They use their scriptures/writings, but can't seem to see the overall situation. I'm so glad to have found a site with people that understand that! Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Namaste and Welcome Pushkyn,

Hare Krishna Nitai!

Wonderful thread, I don't know how I missed it but I missed it completely.

Oh, and I agree my brother, my sister, we are one!

pushkyn said:
Hi, I'm new to the site, but the first thing I noticed was that I saw the same thoughts and you all agreed with how I felt. To me, there has always been one God, only one! Shouldn't matter what religion you purport to be a part of, there is only one God. Why can't everybody see that? They use their scriptures/writings, but can't seem to see the overall situation. I'm so glad to have found a site with people that understand that! Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone.
Yes ... sometimes we cannot see the forest for the trees!

Welcome to CR!

Namaskar,

taijasi

Hi,

Indeed a lot of people believe there is one god and this one god may have been given different names. Religions that are founded on this are of course called monotheistic. But then what about polytheism, agnosticism, atheism (both secular and religious) and nontheism?

Snoopy.

Great topic!

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose." -Baha'u'llah

Any thoughts about this?
I don't think it's a very sensible position, although it is friendly sounding and nice to think about. I think too often we look at peoples' glances skyward as indicative of their worship of the same, one divine, and ignore their claims regarding the divine. Is Jehovah, the god who favored Israelites as his people in the OT the same being as Brahman, simply because he is one transcendent god? I don't think so. I think distinct religions, applying their distinct ideas and images to "the divine" are identifying distinct beings. Jehovah, though majestic, transcendent and divine, is not the same character as Zeus, or Krishna, or another deity.

Well I'm not sure about Zeus - but both Jehovah and Krishna claim to be the Supreme God, of all Gods (in a realistic sense) is it not?

From Krishna's teachings in the Gita:

"Those who are devotees of other gods and who worship them with faith actually worship only Me, O son of Kunti, but they do so in a wrong way." (B-Gita 9.23)

In this instance Krishna is refering to the multitude of devas in the Vedic/Puranic pantheon. Most Krishna devotees I know, consider Jehovah as the Supreme God (and thus not in the 'other god' category). It would make more sense that God is accepting and compassionate in this way - and it's the inner devotion that counts, more than the potentially erroneous labels sending us way off track?

Om Shanti ....

ys, Neemai :)

Gods name has great meaning ...JEHOVAH ..... it means
(HE CAUSES TO BECOME ) and as psalm 83 ;18 tells us

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. psalm 83;18

many people try to hide this great name and have even removed it from the bible .:(

but no worries , he causes to become in more ways than one .

and that name has been restored to its rightful place in the bible , right where it belonged in the first place.

and the bible that has restored the most highs name is the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

and it is printed by JEHOVAHS WITNESSES .

its good to see some people getting things in the right place ,and rather than hiding that great name from view they bring it to the fore . :)

now that is wise indeed PROVERBS 27;11​

Our God is a God of 10,000 names and more. I'm amazed that some could find meaning in one name, but fail to realize that the rest of the world knows the same God by many more. I question them, and their professed "relationship with God."

My mother would still know me, no matter what name I might choose to call her (under unfortunate circumstances) ... and my father the same, my sister, my relatives. Shakespeare was not writing pretty poetry when he said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

You seem to think your neighbor cannot smell the roses, mee. I suggest you get out of the corner. The Garden holds many roses, and flowers of other varieties. I happen to like the magnolia blossom most. And I hear that others are partial to gardenias ...

YHVH simply refers to a stage in the sexual growth of humanity. If you want to make clear that there have always been those who recognized the Logos, that's another thing entirely. That's been the case since well before Christianity, just as it will long after Christianity has ceased to exist ... under that name.

Amazing how blinded we are sometimes to the future, yet have this ever-so-keen 20/20 hindsight. Haven't you heard? "God is dead." I affirm that you have the power to resurrect Her. I know that you have it in you. We all do. Wanna help?

I'm pretty sure ... that many would prefer that he remain hanging limply from the cross. Poisoned by sick pork. Struck down by an arrow on the battlefield. Amazing, how blind. Sad, how it fails to occur to us, each time we look in the mirror, at our hands, at the beauty of nature ... or each time we breathe.

You could not draw one single breath without God. And HER name is written on the wind. Isn't it a sin even to dare to think you can speak it?

If you could, you would say no more. The Hindus know this, some, every time they chant `OM.'

It all kind of reminds me of what I wrote here a lot time ago:
parable of the sea - interfaith.org

Humanity's understanding of the world is shared, yet our relationship with it is fractured among thousands of cultural restraints.

Back