A Gorgeous "Goddess" Quote...

WiccanWade

Reaction score
I just had to share this with you all! As, I was writing today, and this quote (which I hadn't thought about in severl years) came to me, and thought it a perfect way to introduce what I was writing! I hope you love it as much as I do! I plan on using it to introduce the first chapter in the book I'm writing, which is to be titled (the chapter, not the book), "The Nature of God".

"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." -- William Makepeace Thackeray

I wish, however, that I had a date for this particular quote & knew where it came from, exactly.

Bless your hearts!

Blessings!
Wade

I'm glad you found something that appealed to you. :)

Personally, I'm of the non-anthropomorphic line of perception for Divinity. I guess I'm just odd like that, though. :)

And, again, sincere apologies for the late response. I have been...ahem...a little distracted.

I said:
I'm glad you found something that appealed to you. :)

Personally, I'm of the non-anthropomorphic line of perception for Divinity. I guess I'm just odd like that, though. :)

And, again, sincere apologies for the late response. I have been...ahem...a little distracted.

Oh, there's no need to apologize- I completely understand!

WiccanWade said:
"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." -- William Makepeace Thackeray

I wish, however, that I had a date for this particular quote & knew where it came from, exactly.

It's from his novel, Vanity Fair, originally published in 1847. The book is readable online at http://selfknowledge.com/vfair10.htm

It's not a religious quote, and the original context is somewhat harsh. The passage in question is about a boy who worships his mother, who barely notices his existence:
She was an unearthly being in his eyes, superior to his father--to all the world: to be worshipped and admired at a distance. To drive with that lady in the carriage was an awful rite: he sat up in the back seat and did not dare to speak: he gazed with all his eyes at the beautifully dressed Princess opposite to him. Gentlemen on splendid prancing horses came up and smiled and talked with her. How her eyes beamed upon all of them! Her hand used to quiver and wave gracefully as they passed. When he went out with her he had his new red dress on. His old brown holland was good enough when he stayed at home. Sometimes, when she was away, and Dolly his maid was making his bed, he came into his mother's room. It was as the abode of a fairy to him--a mystic chamber of splendour and delights. There in the wardrobe hung those wonderful robes--pink and blue and many-tinted. There was the jewel-case, silver-clasped, and the wondrous bronze hand on the dressing-table, glistening all over with a hundred rings. There was the cheval-glass, that miracle of art, in which he could just see his own wondering head and the reflection of Dolly (queerly distorted, and as if up in the ceiling), plumping and patting the pillows of the bed. Oh, thou poor lonely little benighted boy! Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children; and here was one who was worshipping a stone!

Back