What is your favorite place to travel to?

tommy

Reaction score
Hi:

I was getting a bit tired of all the talk on war and thought I would change the subject. Lennon Mccartney '67 "And have you traveled very far"?... "Far at the eye can see?... What did you see when you were there?..."

Here's our favorite spots (sorry about any mispellings)

1) New Zealand, Loved the people, landed in Christchurch, went to Mt. Cook and ended up in Queenstown (great steep mountings coming straight into the Ocean). Snowed skied in August every day. Saw the Southern Cross,

2) Scottland, Eidenborough, took the train into London, flew into Holland, saw the Windmills and went to Volundam and saw the North Sea. Took the train into Germany, France and stayed in a village called Murrin in Switzerland above Interlocken where you had to take a tram to get there. There were no cars and all you heard were birds singing. The backing was a 4,000 cliff where a James Bond film was shot (the Eiger Sancion (spelling?) was filmed there). The swiss alps were awsome and they had a train (highest in the world) going through snow cap mountains above 10,000 feet.

3) We have gone to Hawaii several times and like Kaiui the best. Stayed in Princeville with a room over the waves and they had the prettiest skies, rainbows and nature in the ocean. Rained real hard, frogs came out and Poipu Beach was amazing, always sunny and peaceful beach on the south side of the Island.

4) In April of this year we went to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Took a sail boat to a Bristish Island called Yost Van Dyke (famous for Mick Jager and Beatles stopping by on a News Years Eve many years ago). About 100 people live there is all. White sandy beaches and the water was so warm you would just sit in the water, rather then the sand. The waters were so calm and blue. This seemed like paradise Earth. Love and Peace, tommy

Tell me your favorite places???

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, tommy!

Ah, some difficult choices to choose from among. I would have to say my favorite spot in all I have seen is the Southern end of the Shenandoah Valley in the Western part of the state of Virginia. I have not lived there, but that is where my people are from. Every time I go through, it pulls on my heart, as if I am home again.

For sheer beauty, the Grand Canyon is hard to beat. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado is pretty, the Virgin river gorge in Arizona is awesome for its rock formations, the Badlands in South Dakota is unique and awe inspiring (another place that calls me...), the High Sierras (especially around Tahoe and Donner's Pass) are breath taking, there are awesome sights all through the high mountains of California like some of the largest and oldest trees on the planet. I almost forgot the Moab region of South East Utah, gorgeous! The Shiprock area of the four-corners region has a beauty all its own, especially in those rare occasions when the desert is in bloom.

I haven't seen a great deal of the world outside of the continental US, but I have been blessed to see a lot of the US, and there is some truly amazing scenery.

I did once have the pleasure of travelling well into the Eastern part of Quebec, and I found the Laurentain mountains to be quite beautiful.

Thank you for the lovely trip in my mind!

i like the West Coast the best. All that is west of Denver.

but lately my own back yard & the back yard of some local friends has become my favorite place to travel.

Bandit, you always have the best advice, Big Bro! I am taking some vacation days this week and my wife, son. Black Lab, and Golden Retriever and I were trying to decide what to do, we have a State Park, Mt. Diablo 10 minutes from our home. I just read your post to we are traveling to the back yard and sit on the deck and are going jump into the above ground pool, enjoy the sun and try to make time go by real slow (seems like were always on the run).

I too like the west and lived in Tahoe where I used to snow ski four days a week! Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Northstar. Juan mentioned Donner Lake up in the Sierra mountains. I used to rent a little 10 horse power fishing boat there on the weekends at Donner Village resort and would cruise around the lake with my wife there. We would do overnights there and watch the train cross the mountain pass at night from a distance, quite a sight to see. Thats where we fell in love when we 20 years old:p.

It's great hearing where others have been. Peace, tommy

tommy said:
Bandit, you always have the best advice, Big Bro! I am taking some vacation days this week and my wife, son. Black Lab, and Golden Retriever and I were trying to decide what to do, we have a State Park, Mt. Diablo 10 minutes from our home. I just read your post to we are traveling to the back yard and sit on the deck and are going jump into the above ground pool, enjoy the sun and try to make time go by real slow (seems like were always on the run).

I too like the west and lived in Tahoe where I used to snow ski four days a week! Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Northstar. Juan mentioned Donner Lake up in the Sierra mountains. I used to rent a little 10 horse power fishing boat there on the weekends at Donner Village resort and would cruise around the lake with my wife there. We would do overnights there and watch the train cross the mountain pass at night from a distance, quite a sight to see. Thats where we fell in love when we 20 years old:p.

It's great hearing where others have been. Peace, tommy
sounds like you have one awesome love there.:)

i was a travelaholic for years, run run, gotta see it all. then one day it all just kind of stopped for me. i still like to go, just not as often. i saw that travel is down over 60% this year because of the gasoline prices.

there are just so many neat places out west & hitting them at the right time of year. one of the coolest places ever was Muir Woods & i really liked Hearst Castle too. The Glenwood Springs in the dead of winter is also neat.
one thing for sure, stay away from any place with long lines on a holiday & there is no place like the back yard!

here is my back yard:D (hee hee)

Hearst_Castle.jpg

Hi--Peace to Everyone!

What a pleasant thread!

I have not been a whole lot of places (except in my mind), but J.H. (my husband) took me about 5 years ago to see some land he purchased in a mountain valley in the Sangre de Cristo range in Colorado near the border of New Mexico. It was the first time I had ever seen the Rockies. I remember how the mountain giants seemed to play "hide and seek" as we drove along the highway all alone. It was breathtaking. We hope to someday build a home in that mountain valley.

My first love, though, is the ocean--I have only seen it from the long coastline of Texas, but it is always part of me--especially the southernmost tip on the island. I have been to Mexico, but never to the beaches there. I really would like to do that someday.

Just thought I'd drop by and add my thoughts.

InPeace,
InLove

I see a lot of references here to Colorado. Does anyone know much about Denver? I've actually visited there before, but the only especially nice thing I remember about it is access to the Rockies. I ask because there is now a chance we will have to move there. Is it a nice city? Family oriented? Clean? Bad traffic?

cheers,
lunamoth

lunamoth said:
I see a lot of references here to Colorado. Does anyone know much about Denver? I've actually visited there before, but the only especially nice thing I remember about it is access to the Rockies. I ask because there is now a chance we will have to move there. Is it a nice city? Family oriented? Clean? Bad traffic?

cheers,
lunamoth
never lived there but have been a few times. my cousin has been out there for 20 years & she loves it. Denver is pretty nice but the surrounding cities (just west) are even nicer. I know the smog used to be a real problem right in Denver.
I do like the mountains, canyons & springs there a lot. but i am more into the great lakes & oceans.
Denver was more like a big city in the country to me. You will definately get all 4 seasons with a lot of winter:)

i think it would an easy start.

Bandit said:
never lived there but have been a few times. my cousin has been out there for 20 years & she loves it. Denver is pretty nice but the surrounding cities (just west) are even nicer. I know the smog used to be a real problem right in Denver.
I do like the mountains, canyons & springs there a lot. but i am more into the great lakes & oceans.
Denver was more like a big city in the country to me. You will definately get all 4 seasons with a lot of winter:)

i think it would an easy start.

Thanks Bandit.

My favorite place is upstate NY. No matter where I go my heart will always be in the Finger Lakes.

peace,
lunamoth

Ive backpacked around most of Europe and the place I loved most of all was Istanbull.

I stayed in a little place near the Blue Mosque with a furnished roof terrace where we could sit and watch the sun go down over the Bosphorus. The days were hot, bright and calm and the nights were beautifully cool and smelled of incense. Turkish musicians played instruments I could not put a name to in a little open air bar at a nearby Bazaar where I would sit with among friends smoking a hookah and feeling the deepest contentment imaginable.

What I wouldn't give to be back there.

Hi, Awaiting_the_fifth

Sounds beautiful...I would like to hear the music. I think maybe I have, even if I have not been there.

InPeace,
InLove

Back