Applying Taoism in life

DT Strain

Spiritual Naturalist
Reaction score
United States. www.SpiritualNaturalistSociety.org
I've read a bit about the Tao and about nature, and about how we relate to all this. I've also read about the Wu Wei, but I'm still fuzzy on just how this knowledge is supposed to affect how we think and act about the world concerning real everyday issues of life.

For example, how does knowledge of Taoism affect how we deal with others, how we approach political and social issues, or what we do in our daily lives? These are not rhetorical questions. In other words, I'm not suggesting that Taoism doesn't affect these things by asking the question. I suspect it affects these things greatly - I'm just not sure how exactly.

Namaste DT Strain,

thank you for the post.

perhaps, the most concise area to find the answers to the specific questions you've asked here is in a text called Chuang-tzu. this is actually the author of the text and it is found, most often, complied with the Tao Te Ching.

Chuang-tzu is, for the sake of our discussion, the very thing that you are asking... how does understanding Li and Wei Wu Wei and so forth have any bearing on our life.

if, due to time contraints and so forth, you find that you are not able to easily access a translation of this text, i can excerpt some of it here to address your queries directly.

with metta,

~v

Namaste DTStrain,

excellent!

let us know what you discover :)

i am fairly sure that it will be of interest to a great many readers of our forum.

metta,

~v

Referring to Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu said, "My Master said that the path of subtle integration encompasses both large and small things. Thus it can be everything; the variety of all things are only the tips of its branches. Only the most developed one can enjoy its simple essence.

"If the most developed one assumes the leadership of the world, though the responsibility is heavy, it is not a burden to him. All people under Heaven may fight for power, but he keeps himself aloof and maintains his independence. He knows the reality behind all things but does not change it for profit or desire. He attains the truth of all things and keeps to the simple origin. Therefore, he can surpass Heaven and Earth and forget all things. With no disturbance to his spirit, he follows the path of subtle integration. He embodies great virtue. He does not hold in high regard the minor teachings of love and justice. He is beyond the enjoyment of music and dance. This is because in his heart is the most precious and subtle path which makes him independent."

DT Strain said:
I've read a bit about the Tao and about nature, and about how we relate to all this. I've also read about the Wu Wei, but I'm still fuzzy on just how this knowledge is supposed to affect how we think and act about the world concerning real everyday issues of life.

For example, how does knowledge of Taoism affect how we deal with others, how we approach political and social issues, or what we do in our daily lives? These are not rhetorical questions. In other words, I'm not suggesting that Taoism doesn't affect these things by asking the question. I suspect it affects these things greatly - I'm just not sure how exactly.

Hi D T Strain,

Funnily enough you may, (based on your insights that I have read about Chang Tzu's writing.) realize that you have been living the way of the tao for some time. It is more likely that you did not put a name to it. Our lives are fine examples of the manifested tao, everchanging, never stagnant. Whether we choose to acknowledge that it is the Tao, is subject to the individual. The way of nature in Tao not only applies to our outer world but our inner one too. Like nature we have cycles. The Taoism philosophy and religion offers us deeper understandings in to the nature of all things including our inner and outer cycles.

When we are doing what comes from our essence, we are living the way of the Tao and I can imagine that we all at some stage in our lives have done this. Some of us just didnt know what to call it.

I am sure once you start digesting more of the philosophy you will go "oh I knew that" and "aha" thats what that is.

After all the Tao is in all things even us.

Kelcie:)

Back