Question...

Chezz

Established Member
Reaction score
Question...

If a man is born in thw wild, has not mother nor, no father or anyother human being. he is alone . what would he belive?

he would, in theorey make his own religion? his own belifs?
and then when he would be exposed to mainstream religion years later he would think they are pretty farfetched no?

what do you think?

Hi Chezz--welcome to CR.:)

Yes, he might make up his own religion. But I also believe that he might manage to know God, because I believe that from the very beginning, God has made Himself known.

InPeace
InLove,

InLove said:
Hi Chezz--welcome to CR.:)

Yes, he might make up his own religion. But I also believe that he might manage to know God, because I believe that from the very beginning, God has made Himself known.

InPeace
InLove,

You might be right, there, InLove.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20).

Never was comfortable with that part about being without excuse. :)

peace,
lunamoth

Chezz said:
Question...

If a man is born in thw wild, has not mother nor, no father or anyother human being. he is alone . what would he belive?

and then when he would be exposed to mainstream religion years later he would think they are pretty farfetched no?

what do you think?
If someone did this we would never no because after a certian amount of time it is impossible to learn language.

I think you're missing the point there, JJM.

I once posted a similar scenario on my blog. I'll reprint it here:

Now, I'm going to do a little role playing. I'm a 28-year-old woman with a degree in chemical engineering. I wasn't brought up with any religion. In fact, religion was never discussed in my home, and I really don't know much about it. It wouldn't be accurate to call me an atheist or an agnostic because I don't really have an opinion on the subject one way or another. But lately I've been giving it some thought, and I've decided I would like to give this religion thing a try. So, like a good scientist, I start with some research.

I discover that there are scores of religions, and that within the religions, there are scores of denominations and/or cults. So I begin to try to narrow the field a little. I do some reading and I talk to some believers.

An Evangelical Christian tells me that the only true authority is the Bible, which was divinely inspired, and therefor is inerrant. He is convinced that he knows and understands god and that his interpretation of the bible represents absolute truth. I then talk to a Roman Catholic. Even though her interpretation of Christianity is quite different from the Evangelical's, she is just as convinced as he was that her version of the faith represents absolute truth. She tells me that Catholicism is the only authentic road to salvation. Next comes a Pentecostal Christian. He too believes that his interpretation of the bible allows him unique insight into god and truth. His conviction that he knows god is as strong as with the other two.

Next I meet a conservative Muslim. He tells me that the only true authority is the Koran. which was dictated to Muhammed by angels, so is inerrant. Like with the Christians, he is convinced that his interpretation of the Koran allows him to know Allah and to understand absolute truth. When I meet a liberal Muslim, he tells me that the conservative was almost certainly wrong and that his interpretation of the Koran is the "truth."

The Reform Jew's position is the same as the others. He knows the truth, it's revealed in the bible, and his interpretation is "true." The Orthodox Jew tells me to go scratch because I'm unworthy to be Jewish.

Armed with this information, I must now decide which religion I will pick, and then which denomination within the religion. How do I make the choice? Which one is true? Everyone is convinced that his or her faith is the true faith, but that's based mainly on their upbringing, values and beliefs.

Here's the funny thing about being an absolutist: In a paradoxical way, it leads to relativism. When people believe that they are right, that they know god, that they know what absolute truth is, what they're really saying is that their interpretation of the bible, their interpretation of god, their interpretation of the world, is the basis for all reality. In a way, they have made themselves god. Their interpretations become "truth." And they are now allowed to reject any evidence or arguments that would contradict their world view. Because, after all, their world view is absolute truth.

The young woman seeking a religion has no more reason to believe in the Christian's reality as she does the Muslim's. They both claim that what they are telling her is based on objective truth. And they both deeply believe it is objective truth. Their claims are almost identical. What they posit as evidence for their "truths" is almost identical. Each will reject alternative interpretations of the world with equal vehemence.

Absolutism is a seductive trap. It promises to make you a god. It's the road to idolatry.

Now this isn't easy for the pious among us to hear. People invest a great deal of emotion in their beliefs, and hearing that a reality that transcends human reality also transcends human understanding is not easy. Many confuse faith with certainty, when faith is really closer to hope.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a series of stories and rituals as your own personal light onto a reality that exists beyond your understanding. Just don't confuse those stories and rituals with actual reality.

At least that's what I think. But what I do know. I'm just got here in this universe myself.

Chezz said:
Question...

what do you think?
Probably very, very similar to Native American beliefs :) , based directly on patterns in the environment and as connected to inner awareness of these patterns. :)

According to Islam that man would be a Muslim. Islam teaches every human being is born a Muslim. Later, under the influence of his parents, his environment, his own will, he becomes a Sunni or a Shia Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu, an atheist, a pagan, etc.
As I believe in God, belong to no religion, was never influenced by any of them, I can consider myself a born Muslim.

yea, that makes a lot of sense to me , but you do not practice islam?

Hello Chezz

If I would practice Islam it would mean that I would have been subjected to one of the religious influences I listed. I'm a born Muslim not a Muslim.

Well i was just about to start a topic realted to this, if a kid was born and his parents died young, if a kid was never taught a religion, you just cant blame him, religion is taught by people, parents or religious zealots this is just where i think a biut like atheist thought im still a Muslim, but a God doesnt come down or alrady feeds a religion to a kid's mind or something, but then we can find answers by discussing this topic more clearly..

Isn't this exactly what has happened multiple times over in humanity? Cultures grew without influence between other cultures and created religions based on the morals that helped keep the structure of their society strong. When the cultures clashed, the morals clashed, and therefore religion became the focus of difference between the two.

Now, were you to have just ONE person live and grow completely by themselves, without another person or any outside influence, I doubt they would build any religious beliefs. Instead, they would just live, fight to survive, and die through their course of existence.

hmm interesting thought there , "Every man is born as a Muslim"
Well Quran says Allah has sent down messengers since this world was made, Adam (S.A) was also a messenger of Allah. But why dint we have a proper religion before Christianity ?Can you blame these people.

Greetings, nomanshake. Welcome to CR. :)

You might want to read up a bit about the various religions represented on the boards here. Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism and many other indigenous religions, were all proper religions well before Christianity. Take a look in the World Religions section just to the left on the screen at the top of this page.

peace,
lunamoth

Hey thanks Lunamoth,

No doubt this website is very informative, the best religious sight I have gone through the net yet. But still what was there before these religions? What religion were Adam and Eve given ? To me that is one important question for a man of belief in God, because we should follow a religion that Adam and Eve were given? But what religion were they given ?

getwallyfied said:
Now, were you to have just ONE person live and grow completely by themselves, without another person or any outside influence, I doubt they would build any religious beliefs. Instead, they would just live, fight to survive, and die through their course of existence.

Hello, getwallyfied. Welcome to CR. :)

This is an interesting way to look at it. I really wonder what would happen, or if it would depend mostly on the particular individual and what kind of socialization they were exposed to before isolation (I mean, they must at least have been cared for by a mother for part of their life). On the one hand I think it quite possible that you're right--they'd just scratch out an existence and that would be it. Companionship is a pretty basic human need and living in total isolation might push someone to insanity if they did not find some kind of way to deal with the stress of isolation. Might push some into a kind of transcendent experience. Spirituality is personal and everyone has a spirituality, even if it is secular or based upon things of this world (which I think applies to greater or lesser degrees to pretty much most of us :) ). A transcendent experience, in turn, might cause that person to develop something more like a religious spirituality.

peace,
lunamoth

nomanshake said:
Hey thanks Lunamoth,

No doubt this website is very informative, the best religious sight I have gone through the net yet. But still what was there before these religions? What religion were Adam and Eve given ? To me that is one important question for a man of belief in God, because we should follow a religion that Adam and Eve were given? But what religion were they given ?

Well, since you're being biblical about it, you're restricting the scope to Christianity/Judaism/Islam (and affiliated sects, e.g. JWs, Mormon).

If you are doing that, referencing Genesis is a good idea. The only rule they were given is "don't eat that". So don't. If you find a tree of the knowledge of good and evil, don't eat from it. (Sorry, several hundred miles from my copy of the Koran, so don't remember what the genesis story is in there - but the Christian & Jewish versions are identical).

Anthropologically speaking, though, there's a great deal of evidence of nature-based religions being preeminant well before the advent of Judaism and the later religions.

On another note, the answer to the first question of a baby in the wilderness with no parents, the most likely religion they'll have is "oh no, I'm dead", since their survival is highly unlikely.

... Bruce

If this person grew up without any human contact whatsoever then they would have no concept of language and so would have a totally different method of thinking to the rest of us (who think in words).

I think that this person would be a lot closer to the truth than most of us. Our minds are shaped by our parents and forced into certain delusions, we learn to define everything by names which really are only sounds.

If, as most people here seem to think, this person would acknowledge God (and I most certainly do not accept that) then (s)he would not call it "God" because he would not know the word. Because of this (s)he would be required to truly understand what God is in order to believe in him.

So if it is true that belief in God is instinctive, then the child who has never had any human contact would be spiritually superior to all of us.

Back