Alexander's influence

nomanshake

Reaction score
Alexander is the only person to have inspired every single generationfor 23 centuries staright without being a founder of any religion. His is the only name to be found among so many different religions and nationatlities.

According to Islam, I heard one of my friend's say that yes Quran has given his exmaple as one of immortals(as in a person that would always be remembered) (pardon me if he or im wrong) because im even not so sure. Do any other religions consider him as a superior or respectable beings? I even heard that he went as far as claiming that he was a God? Is it true. How has he influenced the religion history over the period. Did he have any influence over the beings, because at that time there hardly was any strong messengrical religion.

Re: Alexander's infulence

Kindest Regards, nomanshake!
nomanshake said:
Alexander is the only person to have inspired every single generationfor 23 centuries staright without being a founder of any religion. His is the only name to be found among so many different religions and nationatlities...Do any other religions consider him as a superior or respectable beings?
I am not very familiar with the history of Alexander, only in brief. I am not aware of any specific religion, beyond perhaps the pagan multi-god pantheon of Greece of Alexander's time, that recognizes Alexander as a god, or even a prophet.

I even heard that he went as far as claiming that he was a God? Is it true.
Well, yes. Of course he was not the only one to do so. The Roman Ceasars, at least after a certain time, were also considered and worshipped as gods. That was one of the main friction points with the Jews. Nebuchadnezzor, at least until God put him in his place according to Daniel, was also worshipped as a god. I am sure there are other examples. It was about political power. Religion and government were the same thing. He who holds the reigns of religion, as a god, holds the minds and hearts of the people, and could exercise political control over them. Who could stand against a god?

How has he influenced the religion history over the period. Did he have any influence over the beings, because at that time there hardly was any strong messengrical religion.
OK, now this gets a little tricky. Let me see if I remember this correctly. Alexander's tutor, his nanny/professor so to speak, was none other than the famous Aristotle. From Aristotle came Plato and Socrates. These three men are perhaps the most influencial to Western reasoning and thinking, inventing things like rhetoric and universities. Others followed in their footsteps, thinking and creating many things that humanity did not have before. These men are responsible for critical thinking, for analysis and proof, for evidence and persuasion, and for influencing the Western world in these things.

In short, as to direct influence over existing religion(s), I would have to say no.

But for how we think, especially on a secular level, leading into things like science and mathematics, and critical analysis of evidence, and demanding of proof before belief, yes, the legacy of Alexander lives on, and likely will continue as long as men and women choose to be educated and learned in their fields of endeavor. Including the theological study of religion.

I hope this helps. Maybe somebody with a better overview of the time of Alexander could fill in the blanks. :)

ALEXANDER THE GREAT AND BIBLE PROPHECY.

Prophecy

(Da 8:5, 7, 20, 21)(Eze 26;4,12)(dan 8;8) (jer 51;26)(dan 11;4)(dan 8;8,22)these prophecys all came true regarding Alexander the Great

Thankyou very much, both. juantoo2 i really like your signature makes great sense. It is often that a wiseman calls another wiseman's intelligence as folishness. Dahl rocks!

What Alexander did, though, was to take a small nation and not simply destroy a superpower, but also spread the seeds of his own culture across the domain of the defeated superpower and its extensive territories.

The genuis of his father, Phillip of Macedon, simply cannot be understated - he completely rewrote military tactics of the period and then used these advantages to turn what was otherwise a backwater called Macedon into the master of the civilized Greek world.

Alexander continued the efforts by taking on the might of Persia - a superpower of its time - and used his father's superior tactics to destroy it as a political power in that guise.

Overall, very inspiring for military leaders after.

Hitler, Napoleon, Julius Caesar all worshipped Alexander the Great, Philip of Macedon’s tomb was found in Greece recently, a lot of people get confused about the country Macedonia and the northern part of modern Greece which is the original Macedonia where Alexander was born and raised and taught by Aristotle. The quality of the Greek people has been proven throughout history, we advanced through democracy, we advanced through dictatorship, we advanced under foreign rule (Romans, hell we even became them) and we thought off barbarians right up to the second world war, which got winston Church hill telling everyone that "Greeks don't fight like hero's, hero's fight like Greeks",. Greeks lay the foundations of the greatest religion in the world and there philosophical morals, inventions are in great use till today. Greece (the mother of Europe and the mother of the Olympics) is the only country in the West that will never be targeted by foreign terrorists. The Greeks were pioneers, foundation layers, unique and unmatchable.

Alexander is probably the greatest Greek that ever lived because hundreds and hundreds of years of Persian suppression, rule ended up with the destruction of there empire by one and the greatest Europeans that ever lived a pure master mine, a pure hero, a pure ideologist, a pure God, a pure solider, a pure warrior, Alexander the GREAT.

Would you believe that the Turks would take the oldest of all Greek boys and send them off to Turkey because they believed they had hero's blood and wanted it to be passed off in there empire.

Our history is our greatest weapon you can't knock our morale, that's something multi billion dollar jet fighters can't give you.

Hello all, im a new member,this being my first postPlease excuse.
Alexander has always fascinated me. In that instead of,(as other great leaders of his time) rather than destroy a culture once it was conquered he chose to absorb it. After the Persian campaigns he took on his defeated enemys (Darius?)
sister as a wife. He observed many persian customs, respect for there gods, there way of life.
In my opinion, his political views, though the means were bloody, were a landmark in history. The joining of several different ways of life, persian egyptian?(though i think the persians held egypt)indian etc, was an idea well beyond his time.
Even his top generals, ptolemy, seulucis,antigonus and many others were offended by his tolerance and in my opinion sympathy for defeated nations.
His soldiers followed him as if he were a prophet,(he claimed to be the son of zeus) seven years away from home countless battles(some of his soldiers were 50+,the silvershields)and the conquering of a land that seemed to go on forever. Sorry for the history lesson, but alexander the great is a subject that fascinates me .Maybe some of this info has been useful?
Regards,
Rustic

Back