Studying Other Religions

cool_aid2006

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I practice christianity. I'm 17 and I am wondering about other religions. Do you believe that someone should go out of their comfort zone and study other religions? I am interested in other religions, especially Islam & Buddhism. But it kind of scares me. Just wondering if you guys have any advice or anything.

Hi, and Peace to all here--

Hello, cool_aid2006, and welcome to CR. Do you come from some place or people that tell you it is not okay to find out about what others believe?

I do. I choose to investigate, anyway. I am at peace in this endeavor, and have been for many years.

I believe that the the Truth always prevails, whether we accept it or not. I also believe that Truth is willing to be shown when we are willing to see.

Well, now, I am sure that has cleared up all your questions?:)

Just because one has questions only means that one has questions. There is nothing wrong with that....just keep your ears about ya, okay?

See Ya--

InPeace,
InLove

Hi cool_aid2006, and welcome to CR. :)

Seems like an odd choice of username to a Brit like me - any interesting reason for it?? Simply curious. :)

cool_aid2006 said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I practice christianity. I'm 17 and I am wondering about other religions. Do you believe that someone should go out of their comfort zone and study other religions? I am interested in other religions, especially Islam & Buddhism. But it kind of scares me. Just wondering if you guys have any advice or anything.
h| cool_aid2006 and welcome to C-R:)
I'm a muslim but i study Christianity as well. Hoping to start some basics regarding Judaism soon too. This does not mean that I want to change my religion. I like to learn the other guy's point of view... to see where he/she is coming from. Thats my reason.
If you want to study other religions for x,y and/or z reasons, then you should do so as well. If you dont want to, you dont. It is really upto.

Hi all,

I've gone from a semi-aetheistic pov to a theistic one along the way of studying several religions, and even after joining one, i continue to keep studying them. They are individually and collectively an examination of devotion, rebellion, seeking, answer,.... Anywhere I have been sincere and met sincerity I have learned and hope others have as well. Change is somewhat inevitable, but perhaps not endless change or change without point. The study of religions will tend to move you beyond your comfort zone - but that zone can expand and adapt. At it's best I think studying religions will open doors in your own - thinking something always means x and discovering it can be y and how that has implications on z. Some will be infinitly confirming. Others will be sore spots that take some time and patience and prayer to resolve.

Thank you all for your replies. Brian as far as my name goes, no real reason. Kool-aid was an old nickname and it was just an idea i decided to use when creating an e-mail.

cool_aid2006 said:

I started a thread about this a while back that I think expresses the way I feel about it:

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13187&postcount=1

I am a Christian. When I was 17 I wondered about Buddhism and Judaism. I was scary at first, especially since I didn't want to go to hell and everything, but my ventures has served to broaden my life and enhance me with a very special relationship with God. Alot of people don't care to step outside of their religion, but there are some people, like alot of the people that post on CR, who I believe was God's intention to understand other pov's so as to help unify for His ultimate will.
Welcome. ;)

Hi! Welcome, Cool-Aid!

I am a Muslim, but just like you, I enjoy learning about what other people believe.After all, God created the whole universe with all of its diversity. In my Holy Book God states that He created the diversity. Reasons God knows, but probably it has a purpose.
I find my interests focusing on monotheist faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), but certainly other religions seem attractive in their own right.
Having questions and desire to expand one's knowledge, in my personal opinion, is something to respect and act upon. How are we going to keep our own faith if we are kept in the shade of the world? Many people who learn about other religions come to be strenghtened in their own faith practices.
I wish you the best of luck in your personal research and knowledge quest.

Back