Diplomacy vs. Compromise

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Hi, Peace to All Here--

I have posted this thread in Monotheism because I am interested in hearing from monotheists regarding whether you think it is possible to be totally diplomatic when speaking with others (monotheistic or not) about issues of faith without compromising one's own principles (through our language, actions, or simply by partaking in the discussion).

Secondly, if you do believe it is possible, then do you have any thoughts to share on how this is accomplished?

My hope is to glean from a wide range of monotheists, because I have noticed that there are diplomats here on a variety of monotheistic boards who still clearly maintain what they believe, and somehow manage to offend very seldom, if at all.

Of course, any sincere and diplomatic :) comments from non-monotheists are also welcome! Just looking for helpful input.

InPeace,
InLove

Kindest Regards, InLove!

What an interesting thought!

regarding whether you think it is possible to be totally diplomatic when speaking with others (monotheistic or not) about issues of faith without compromising one's own principles (through our language, actions, or simply by partaking in the discussion).
Yes, I believe it can be done. Not only can, but must when considering how much smaler the world grows on a daily basis. We hear so many preach against ideological war, yet so many of these same people cannot seem to understand that the peace they desire can only be achieved through compassionate understanding of their fellow human beings. In fairness, respect must be mutual. Just as a love affair cannot last long if it is one-sided, so too mutual respect is necessary when dealing with other cultures. That is, it is really difficult if one side refuses to respect the other. The offended party takes offense (duh!), and takes a protective stance. And then you have two opposing parties instead of two co-operating parties.

It is not mine to judge whether or not any other person is worthy of heaven. It is mine to direct my life in the manner I deem most pleasing to my Creator.

if you do believe it is possible, then do you have any thoughts to share on how this is accomplished?
Yes. Like Nike said, "just do it."

I agree heartily. Who are any of us to really say that one faith is the correct faith and others are not? Sounds a bit proud to me. If we humble ourselves and listen to another searcher speak, we may find that we can grow closer to God as we unify with our fellow man. I have found, in my inquiries, that we all have the same basic idea and that the rest of the stuff is cultural. Enlightenment and Born Again doesn't sound all that contrast to me, really - except that we are awfully defensive about the things we need (salvation, demise of desire) so we become defensive about how it can be attained. It is the cultural aspect of religion that gets in the way of unification. To bend on the culture is to bend on who we are. But isn't that the idea overall? Doesn't Jesus want us to die that daily death? Doesn't Buddhism teach that there is no 'self'? Monotheists get really defensive about God. God is almighty. He needs no defense.

InLove said:
Hi, Peace to All Here--

I have posted this thread in Monotheism because I am interested in hearing from monotheists regarding whether you think it is possible to be totally diplomatic when speaking with others (monotheistic or not) about issues of faith without compromising one's own principles (through our language, actions, or simply by partaking in the discussion).

Secondly, if you do believe it is possible, then do you have any thoughts to share on how this is accomplished?

I would say that the answer partly depends on what you think your principles are. I mean what do you think your scripture says about other religions and about conversations and diplomacy and the like. If you think the scripture endorses a confrontational pov then...

Well anyway, the Baha'i Faith, as I understand it, has several and certainly not trivial quotes about being not just diplomatic!

"The second BISHÁRÁT (Glad-Tidings): It is permitted that the peoples and kindreds of the world associate with one another with joy and radiance. O people! Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship. Thus hath the day-star of His sanction and authority shone forth above the horizon of the decree of God, the Lord of the worlds."

This is no meer seeming - we are to be fair, not partisan perse-
"The second Taráz(Ornament) is to consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship, to proclaim that which the Speaker on Sinai hath set forth and to observe fairness in all matters."

"O ye believers of God!The text of the Divine Book is this: If two souls quarrel and contend about a question of the Divine questions, differing and disputing, both are wrong. The wisdom of this incontrovertible law of God is this: That between two souls from amongst the believers of God, no contention and dispute might arise; that they may speak with each other with infinite amity and love."

GO BAHA'I!!!!!!!!

That was cool. See? Everybody has a valid point.

InLove said:
Hi, Peace to All Here--

My hope is to glean from a wide range of monotheists, because I have noticed that there are diplomats here on a variety of monotheistic boards who still clearly maintain what they believe, and somehow manage to offend very seldom, if at all.

Of course, any sincere and diplomatic :) comments from non-monotheists are also welcome! Just looking for helpful input.

InPeace,
InLove

In the Baha'i Faith we tend to avoid argumentation and debate preferring instead the principle of consultation... Consultation means essentially laying ones opinions out on the table and not owning them... allowing for sharing of views without seeking supremacy on one's own perspective...

For myself i attempt to practise this principle...

When my Faith is attacked i will attempt to defend it without attacking the other person's faith... There is an absence of material attacking other religions in Baha'i sites because we believe the great world religions have a common origin.

Here is an excerpt on the principle of consultation:

"Man must consult on all matters, whether major or minor, so that he may become cognizant of what is good. Consultation giveth him insight into things and enableth him to delve into questions which are unknown. The light of truth shineth from the faces of those who engage in consultation. Such consultation causeth the living waters to flow in the meadows of man's reality, the rays of ancient glory to shine upon him, and the tree of his being to be adorned with wondrous fruit. The members who are consulting, however, should behave in the utmost love, harmony and sincerity towards each other. The principle of consultation is one of the most fundamental elements of the divine edifice. Even in their ordinary affairs the individual members of society should consult."

(`Abdu'l-Bahá, from a Tablet - translated from the Persian)

Back