hinduism -where did it come from?

pranava

Reaction score
Hi

I believe the proper hindu view is that hinduism or Sanatana Dharma is an eternal religion and has been around as long as mankind? Do you agree - what are your views?

pranava said:
Hi

I believe the proper hindu view is that hinduism or Sanatana Dharma is an eternal religion and has been around as long as mankind? Do you agree - what are your views?

Yes you are correct. The word Sanatana means eternal. Dharma is eternal not only in this earth where mankind is but in this whole universe as well as the multiverse.

satay

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Fogive me if this is a sensitive subject, but wasn't religion first introduced to India by migrating Arians about 3000 years ago?
Namaste Awaiting the fifth,

Aryan invasion theory is a propaganda spread by the west specifically the christian missionaries. This theory has been debunked by scholars recently.

satay
ps: by the way, does your handle awaiting the fifth have a meaning? Just curious...what are you waiting for?

satay said:
what are you waiting for?

I'm waiting for Maitreya, the fifth Buddha. There's a whole thread in the Lounge section explaining names.

Im really glad that the Aryan Migration thing isn't true. I have always seen india as the centre of eastern religion, and the though that it was all started by a bunch of wandering Germans was disturbing.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
I'm waiting for Maitreya, the fifth Buddha. There's a whole thread in the Lounge section explaining names.
Oh cool. I will check that out.

Im really glad that the Aryan Migration thing isn't true. I have always seen india as the centre of eastern religion, and the though that it was all started by a bunch of wandering Germans was disturbing.

There is a whole section at the Hindunet forums on just very thing.
Check it out if you get some time.

http://www.hindunet.com/forum/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=aryaninvasion

satay

Awaiting_the_fifth said:

Not Germans, but people of the Iranian Plateau. The notion of Germanic Aryanism I believe may be distinctly different, but I don't have time at present to research references - sorry.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Fogive me if this is a sensitive subject, but wasn't religion first introduced to India by migrating Arians about 3000 years ago?

I dont think by "eternal religion" it means that the religion was "practised" since eternity...it just means that the laws are eternal. Religion is a poor translation for dharma anyway. Dharma would better translate as "laws" or "principles". Sanatana Dharma translated would be "Eternal laws" or "Eternal principles".
The principles that Sanatana Dharma speaks about holds true forever.

To quote what I read somewhere:
"Sanatana Dharma," is an eternal and ever-present (even if not ever-visible) way of life.

w Regards

Back