Anyone believes in Solipsism?

human1111

Reaction score
I believe in Materialism (as in there is objective reality outside of us, but we do not perceive things in itself, but only though our imperfect/subjective senses).

For me I cannot understand why would one believe in Solipsism (or idealism). Anyone has good arguments agains materialism?

Thank you.

Hi, human and Awaiting_the_fifth--Peace to all here--

Off to investigate Solipsism--I can't help but relate this term to the sun, but what do I know?

human1111, when you say "idealism", do you mean do I believe in the concept as defined by the English language, or by Greek philosophy? I understand that the two are closely related.

I suppose I am asking if you believe in Solipsism, or Idealism, and/or how you define or interpret it.

This would be helpful, in order to answer the question you have posed:).

InPeace,
InLove

Okay--here is what Webster's says:

Solipsism:

"Latin solus alone + ipse self
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing"

(nothing to do with the sun, then:))

Idealism:

"1 a (1) : a theory that ultimate reality lies in a realm transcending phenomena (2) : a theory that the essential nature of reality lies in consciousness or reason b (1) : a theory that only the perceptible is real (2) : a theory that only mental states or entities are knowable
2 a : the practice of forming ideals or living under their influence b : something that is idealized
3 : literary or artistic theory or practice that affirms the preeminent value of imagination as compared with faithful copying of nature -- compare [size=-1]REALISM[/size]"

(definitions from Merrium-Webster Online Dictionary, 2005)

Maybe this will help spark a more in-depth discussion:).

InPeace,
InLove

To all. By Solipsism I've meant the theory that there is absolutely nothing outside of a person. That all reality is in the head Solipsism is opposed to materialism which Is defined as (there is something out there).

Thank you all.

I believe that there is something outside the person, but it is not what we all think it is.

I believe that it is essentially a spiritual plane on which we all exist, but our deluded minds project a physicality onto this plane. This physicality is of our own, individual creation and as such, the world must look very different through different people's eyes.

Hi, and Peace to All Here--

I kind of think along the same lines as Awaiting_the_fifth on this issue in that I believe that there is something more than the individual self.

I definitely believe that self awareness is important, but I also believe that we cannot completely understand our "self" until we understand to what that self is ultimately connected. I believe one must transcend the self to understand this. In other words, lay one's self down to find one's true self.

It is an ongoing process that begins with one first step. At least for me.

I do agree that even though we may be in the process of knowing, as you put it, human1111, that "something out there", we do not yet have complete knowledge of it (hard for me to say "it", but I will this time, for the sake of the discussion at hand:)). Therefore, I think it is yet impossible for us to fully know the "self". But I believe we will, and I believe it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Interesting question.:)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi, Peace--

LOL--I cannot help myself--wait, yes I can, but my self in connection with All decided to post this--

Aquinas said," I think, therefore I am". InLove says, " I think, therefore I am connected". Both are profound, and neither will see royalties (at least as this world knows it).

(By the way, I am not equating my "self" to Thomas Aquinas. Only pointing out that we may be connected.:)

InPeace,
InLove

Back