What are the names of the buddah?

Forgotten

I like you
Reaction score
I am often confused, since man lists vary in length. Does anybody have a comprehensive list of them? Could you please type it out or direct me to a website.

To get you started, since no one else has replied. The Buddha's in my vehicle and tradition are;

Shakyamuni
Amitabha / Amitayus
Avalokiteshvara
Vajradhara
Tara (Green, white and red are most prevalent but there are 21)
Maitreya
Manjushri

I think that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;) I'm still fairly new to Buddhism and I'm not sure if they differ from vehicle to vehicle or tradition to tradition. It's also important to keep in mind there are many different aspects of these Buddha's often changing their appearance or even sometimes their names. Also the spellings of their names differ depending on who you talk to. The way I have spelled them is a little more phonetic than some.

How about someone start a lists of Bodhisatvas? :D

~Ricky

Namaste all,

thank you for the post.

do you mean to ask "what are the various names of *any* Buddha?" or do you mean to ask, "what are the names of the various Buddhas which have arisen in this world system?"

the answer to the first is such that it would apply to all Buddhas. the second bit is different. there are seven named previous Buddhas in this world system, however, this world system is not the only world system in which a Buddha has arisen.

that being said, the named Buddhas are:

Buddha Vipassi (the first Buddha to arise in our world system)

Buddha Sikhi

Buddha Vessabu

Buddha Kakusandha

Buddha Konagamana

Buddha Dipankara

Buddha Kassapa

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/digha/dn-32-pt0.html

metta,

~v

Sorry, I obviously missed the boat on this one. How embarrassing! Spreading false Dharma, that must be really karmically bad. :(

~Ricky

Namaste rdwillia or do you prefer Ricky?

in the Buddhist view, karma is determined by ones intentional actions. as such, if your intention was to "spread false dharma" then that would be a sort of negative karma. however, i would guess that was not your intention :)

of course, even with the best of intentions (which i hope that i have.. i work on it daily) one can still spread "false dharma" if only because our own understandings of the myriad aspects of it is incomplete.

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Namaste rdwillia or do you prefer Ricky?

in the Buddhist view, karma is determined by ones intentional actions. as such, if your intention was to "spread false dharma" then that would be a sort of negative karma. however, i would guess that was not your intention :)

of course, even with the best of intentions (which i hope that i have.. i work on it daily) one can still spread "false dharma" if only because our own understandings of the myriad aspects of it is incomplete.

metta,

~v

Thanks Vaj,

My focus, thus far, has been on the practice more than the historical. I think from now on I'll stick to what I know. Ricky's fine by the way.

~Ricky

Hello again Vajradhara,

I'm a bit confused now. Who are the Buddhas I mentioned above? I've read many stories of each. From your list it would seem that the Buddhas I mentioned have not been in this world system. These are the Buddhas most mentioned in my tradition. Wasn't the Buddha Shakyamuni a Buddha from this world system? Why isn't he listed? Now I'm really confused.:( I vaguely know the story and read your post of the prophecy of Maitreya and that he has not risen as a Buddha. But the rest seems very foggy now. Can you help straighten me out?

Thanks!

~Ricky

I just wrote a big long reply and it disappeared into cyberspace... My main question for Vajradhara or any knowledgable person was this...

This is Vaj's list:
Buddha Vipassi (the first Buddha to arise in our world system)

Buddha Sikhi

Buddha Vessabu

Buddha Kakusandha

Buddha Konagamana

Buddha Dipankara

Buddha Kassapa

This is the list provided in Vaj's link:
Vipassi, Sikhi, Vessabhu, Kakusanda, Konagama, Kassapa, Gotama

After reading the Atanatiya Sutta, it seems to me that Buddha Gotama, Angirasa and Shakyamuni are all one in the same. Who is Buddha Dipankara? Is this another name for Buddha Shakyamuni? I need to brush up on my Sanskrit and Tibbetan:p

Also, I'd really like to know where the Buddha's I mentioned (incorrectly) above fit into all of this. Please help. Someone on the Buddhist forum has to know more about this thank I do. Thanks!!!

Buddha Dipankara is the Buddha whom Buddha Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha, Guatama) met and prophesised his Buddhahood whilst he (Guatama) was the mendicant Sudhana.

this being arose in the last cycle of this world system.

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Buddha Dipankara is the Buddha whom Buddha Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha, Guatama) met and prophesised his Buddhahood whilst he (Guatama) was the mendicant Sudhana.

this being arose in the last cycle of this world system.

metta,

~v

Thanks Vaj,

That clears things up a bit. But I'm still confused. Wouldn't Buddha Shakyamuni make eight then? I'm also confused as to where the other Buddha's fit in? Can you help me out. Sorry, I hope you've been practicing patience.:eek: Anyone else feel free to chime in as well!

~Ricky

rdwillia said:
Thanks Vaj,

That clears things up a bit. But I'm still confused. Wouldn't Buddha Shakyamuni make eight then? I'm also confused as to where the other Buddha's fit in? Can you help me out. Sorry, I hope you've been practicing patience.:eek: Anyone else feel free to chime in as well!

~Ricky

Namaste rdwillia,

no worries, i'll help as i can :)

Gotama is Shakyamuni. Shakyamuni is the title of the Clan of which Gotama arose in this world system. Shakyamuni means "Sage of the Shakya Clan".

so, we will often see this being as "Buddha Gotama" or "Buddha Shakyamuni" or, most often, simply as "The Buddha" but these designations are all referring to the same arising.

as for your list... let's take a look...

Shakyamuni

* already covered here :)

Amitabha / Amitayus

* These are Primordial Buddhas meaning that they do not arise in any particular world system, such as Shakyamuni.

Avalokiteshvara

* Generally speaking, Avelokiteshavara is considered a Bodhisattva, also known as Chenrezig in Tibet and Kwan Yin in China. without getting too technical at this point, this being is technically called "An Effect Stage Buddha" which is slightly different than a Buddha.

Vajradhara

* Is a Primordial Buddha as well which represents the complete and perfect union of the male/female principles and expressed through compassion and wisdom. it is this being for which i take my screen name for this represents, to my mind, the culmination of my discursive practice.

Tara (Green, white and red are most prevalent but there are 21)

* Is also a Primordial Buddha and represents the various aspects of "motherly love and compassion" Green Tara plays a significant role in many Tibetan lay practices. the common story in Tibet casts this being as the "mother" of Manjurshri (Bodhisattva of Wisdom) and Chenrezig (Bodhisattva of Compassion) which are born from her tears.

Maitreya

* Is now in the Tustia Heaven where Bodhisattavs dwell before taking their final rebirth in our world system. this is the "future" Buddha who will re-establish the Dharma after it has left this world system.

Manjushri

*The Bodhisattva of Wisdom. much like Chenrezig, this being is also an Effect Stage Buddha.

hope that helps a little :)

metta,

~v

Re: What are the names of the buddha?

Here's some commentary/editorial ... as well as an answer to the question:

Esoteric records suggest (and Tibetan Buddhism suggests likewise) that our present "world system" has yet to actually produce its own Buddha, so to speak. Theosophic presentations indicate full Buddhahood as the eighth (hmmmm, Eightfold Path) in a series of unending Initiations. That Siddharta Gautama was a real live manushi buddha (the human incarnation, or expression, of the spiritual being we call `Awakened') ... one of the most advanced Initiates to walk the Earth ... is beyond question. But even Shakyamuni may have spent most of his incarnations on another globe, in another set of dvipas (world, or planets), starting his incarnations on Earth relatively recently - as an Arhat (or fourth-degree Initiate, esoterically). This would make him, from one perspective, the "eldest" of human souls - but from another, not human at all, but a "borrowed" teacher.

Admittedly, even the esoteric accounts are not complete regarding this most well-known of Buddhas ... but there is indication that even after Siddharta Gautama this same Soul submitted to additional incarnations or overshadowings (manifestations through spiritual at-one-ment with other beings - all of them advanced, though lesser, Initiates). At least two such overshadowings are mentioned, as well as a direct manifestation (the `Lotus-Born'), all of these being well-known to Tibetan Buddhists ... though not necessarily in the esoteric light.

As a comment, although the very notion of the Soul of the Buddha re-incarnating at all may seem ironic - perhaps because seemingly contradictory on a number of grounds (eg, "the Buddha did not even teach the idea of soul - anatman" or "how could a fully enlightened being such as this return to the wheel of rebirth!") - it isn't. A mystery lies hidden here. But it seems to have to do with Karma, the Law. Even an expression of great Compassion -> as was shown by Shakyamuni (perfect in every right as we understand the term) ... might have contained error, in that too much was revealed to those who could not appreciate (it). And the (it), in this case, includes this very notion of anatman ("no-soul"), so misunderstood. For, if even Soul is not the ultimate, permanent reality, then how could an entire teaching hinge upon Soul as the goal? It couldn't, so the Great One tried to explain (?), perhaps as did Christ (?) ... and thus additional seeds of Karma were sown, and these too had to be harvested - hence the need for return. The account is "settled," perhaps, inasmuch as proper teaching has been given out and received/accepted (if only in the past ~125 years).

Now consider, some records indicate that it is one of Earth's own Humanity (taking his first human birth in the present world system) ... who evolved far faster than any other Soul to date ... that has been known to history as Sri Krishna, as the very great Being who overshadowed Jesus of Nazareth (thus distinguishing Christed Jesus from Jesus the Initiate) ... and who will become, at some point in the future, Maitreya Buddha. Again, this reckoning may be unpopular with some (who have been taught to associate Christos with one man only out of history), but a great deal of research has been done to show the rationale for taking such a position. To comment on another thread that asks why we believe what we believe - I can only say that for me, this account is the only one that makes sense!

At any rate, Theosophical/esoteric teachings suggest seven main root races, or cycles within our present world period - and Shakyamuni Buddha is said to be the fifth of seven Buddhas. Thus he is the Buddha of Aryas (or sages) ... the Buddha of the Aryan (!) root race. Have we really lived up to this appellation? :( Maitreya Buddha comes as the Buddha of the sixth (or more Intuitive, & peaceful) root race, although some see this as only 500 years ahead, while others would say more like 5 or 10 thousand years. Either way, the reason why New Age folks have seized upon this name/title is simple: Esoterically, the Initiation preceding that of Buddhahood (8th) is that of Bodhisattvahood, or the 7th. Presently, the Bodhisattva (regarded by Buddhists as abiding in Tushita Heaven) is Maitreya ... or Christ, the Imam Mahdi, Saoshyant and Kalki Avatara. Sadly, there is still quarrel over what to call this being ... even bloodshed, indirectly speaking ... yet I seriously doubt "He" has any identity crises ... ;)

Anyway, while these two posts or roles (Bodhisattva & Buddha) are regarded as static, they can - and are - filled by a progression of beings. Our Humanity has yet to evolve its first Buddha, unless we consider Shakyamuni ... but together with Maitreya the attaintment of these two Buddhas could definitely be said to signify "Earth humanity coming into its own." Esotericists regard the Buddha as having anchored the Light for the planet, Christ anchoring Love. Together they now work (as before) to anchor Purpose ... while also revealing an even yet higher Aspect of Divinity (!).

Prior to Shakymuni, Buddha Kashyapa - a being who attained "the goal" of evolution in earth's prior world system - served as the 4th Buddha of the present cycle. And prior to that, Buddha Dipankara - a being from the Venusian world system - was "loaned" to us (perhaps for the first three root races?). At any rate, Tibetan Buddhism recognizes five Dhyani Buddhas and five Dhyani Bodhisattvas, which makes sense if you consider the idea that the Aryan root race is the fifth. But two races are yet to evolve in the present cycle, so esoterically there are certainly 7 Buddhas and 7 Bodhisattvas. Yes, a discrepancy from Tibetan Buddhism as we know it.

George Harrison sings, "By chanting the names of the Lord - you'll be free" ... and the Moodies remind us, "A thousand pictures can be drawn from one word/Only who is the artist/We gotta agree." Now consider my .sig line - and the fact that God will look different to each of us, even those pure enough of heart to "see" her. Even her prophets are not (yet) universally recognized and accepted. Invariably crucified, slandered or persecuted. Generally those who argue the most energetically and vociferously against unification of belief, practice, and ideologies ... are those who have the most vested interest in preserving them - as separate and distinct. It is as if the yielding of a piece of own's distinctive identity for the greater good ... is somehow evil. How could this be? (Only, it seems to me, if we have exalted self over God - for surely if there is oneness/unity, it is with God. How dare we presume to speak for God, as if she has no voice of her own!)

Ah, well since I dove into this a bit more than Forgotten may have needed, how about the following site that I've had bookmarked for years ... http://utenti.lycos.it/aum/kundalini/kundalini_it/indextantra_it.html. I believe this site is in Italian, but it should still be clear enough (including links to images/info about every Buddha, Bodhisattva or being thus far mentioned on the thread). Indeed, this is Tantric Buddhism, and it is important to remember that everything mentioned or portrayed - is symbolic!

Tathagata OM
taijasi

Namaste taijasi,

it would seem that you are incorporating a great many Theosophical views in your exposition. have you spent much time studying Theosophiany (sp?)?

metta,

~v

Originally Posted by Vajradhara
hope that helps a little :)

Wow! That helps a lot! And great views and info as well, Taijasi. I'm quickly becoming attached to this place.:eek:

Now I have some other confusion to deal with of which no one but myeself can help me understand. I do however, wonder why, what I have been tought in the past year is so drastically different from everything else I've been learning recently; which, just so happens to makes much more sense and appears to be more accurate.:confused: Hmm...

Thanks again for the clarification. You are truly a blessing to our internet Sangha Vaj! :)

~Ricky

Vajra & Ricky,

Yes, my background includes a great interest in Theosophical teachings, and I've studied plenty of these, with a great fondness for H.P. Blavatksy (author of The Secret Doctrine, Voice of the Silence and Isis Unveiled). The SD is HPB's magnum opus, being a two-volume explanation of the stanzas (slokas) of Dzyan. Some scholars have traced the words `Zen' as well as `John' (!) back to this word (dzyan being pronounced more or less like john). Supposedly these are written in Senzar, being a spiritual language (something like living, 4-D holograms as best I can intuit ... whose deepest meaning is only revealed to the Initiate by using spiritual faculties - not intellect alone).

Anyway, this book is not `introductory material,' and I certainly haven't read even a significant portion of it. Usually, I can only manage a few pages in one sitting, because the author supports her conclusions by quoting from many dozens of authorities ... and often draws from 5 or 6 different esoteric religious traditions just to make one point. The result, appropriately enough, is that the work is unassailable - at least as far as I'm concerned. Critics have always had to resort to slander and calumny to attack the character of HPB, grouping her as a charlatan among such figures as Cagliostro (HPB in her previous life, interestingly enough), Comte de St. Germain (Cagliostro's friend & teacher!), and Appollonius of Tyana (said to be the Nazarene Initiate in his immediate next life!).

Briefly I found it worthwhile and an honor to belong to the Theosophical Society in America in 1990 ... and one month after buying my first motorcycle (an '81 CX-500) for $450, I rode from North Carolina to Chicago, Illinois for the TSA Summer Conference. This is a group of folks not unlike the Bahais in many respects, although the membership in America has dwindled over the years. The National HQ is in Madras, India.

My interests also include Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, especially since the latter are the closest exoteric teachings to Blavatsky's Theosophy ... this being the synthesis of science, religion and philosophy, as the Secret Doctrine is subtitled. Incidentally, Ammonius Saccas, an Alexandrian-born Neoplatonist of the 2nd Century AD, is usually regarded as the first modern Theosophist. Blavatsky certainly did not originate the ideas she presented, but rather, served as a noteworthy modern Messenger for what some call The Perennial Philosophy. To quote HPB from The Secret Doctrine (quoting Montaigne):
I have here made only a nosegay of culled flowers, and have brought nothing of my own but the string that ties them.

The Secret Doctrine, I, xivi

The River Alpheus flows, as I see it ... (or we might say Ariadne's thread is woven) ... through several primary Messengers since Blavatsky and the Theosophists, and these are the shining, living Beacons of Light & Love for the 20th Century (and times to come), imho. They have, as the Christian might say, provided the next few chapters in God's ongoing Book of Revelation, and their writings are to me far more sacred & relevant for life today than even the Holy Bible (for many, many obvious reasons, I should hope!). Alice Bailey stands at the forefront of these, and with her are Helena & Nicholas Roerich, the Russian author & artist who brought the teachings of Living Ethics (Agni Yoga) to the modern world.

Many, countless others have surely also served the Hierarchy as Messengers and wayshowers of the 20th Century, laboring tirelessly and selflessly to safeguard Humanity's future ... and to build the present Ark much larger than Noah's, if possible - as one Master put it. Many of these World Servers prefer to work anonymously ... and they do. None seek recognition, but it is also important to acknowledge and proclaim to the world that we are not without the guiding hand of the Teachers - not even amidst the times of Armageddon, which are now. Out of this darkness will come a new world civilization, with a higher culture - emphasizing Beauty, and a truly sustainable society, lifestyle, and mode(s) of world cooperation. Aptly enough this is called in the Teachings the New Era. And verily, the world as we know it - will end, because it must end. We should not be frightened by this, but uplifted, encouraged, and Joyous!

To make sure I've at least said something about this thread in my post (ahem!) ... vide Nicholas Roerich's extensive writings about Tibetan Buddhism in his travel logs, found in such writings as Shambhala: In Search of a New Era, Heart of Asia: Memoirs from the Himalayas, Himavat Diary Leaves, and the well-known Altai Himalaya. Consider that on Aug. 5, 1927, Nicholas Roerich's travel party had a bona fide UFO sighting, fully 20 years before even the Roswell Incident. A Tibetan lama with the group acknowledged this as a most favorable sign from the Ruler of Shambhala (Rigden Jyepo), saying essentially that the hand of God was protecting them.

On Eastern Crossroads, found online at this link, includes many accounts of the Buddhas Shakyamuni as well as Maitreya, including accounts that will not likely be found elsewhere, or not from the perspectives presented. Other Teachers are also in this book, including Christ, Appollonius, and Akbar. Foundations of Buddhism is a new one for me, but my guess is that the volume (also online) is priceless!

I hope I've added something potentially useful for understanding the Doctrine of the Buddhas ... and given a glimpse into the usefulness and relevance of Theosophical teachings for the world today. Considering that the latter are/were but one stage in the current thread of progressive revelation - should put things into perspective (or I should say, is my $.02). The Good News is -> The Best is yet to come!!! :D

Cheers,
Taijasi

Hello Taijasi,

Thanks for all of the great info. I'll have to go do some research now. I have a lot of respect for Theosophicism (I just made that up for lack of knowledge of the proper term. I'm quite fond of it already:D.) Althought I personally feel Buddhism is all encompassing, Theosophy has a excellent grasp on the larger picture which is often-times very useful.

As for this:
Consider that on Aug. 5, 1927, Nicholas Roerich's travel party had a bona fide UFO sighting, fully 20 years before even the Roswell Incident. A Tibetan lama with the group acknowledged this as a most favorable sign from the Ruler of Shambhala (Rigden Jyepo), saying essentially that the hand of God was protecting them.

I have read about this many times, as I am a huge ufo/paranormal buff. I should mention that I have had an apparent UFO experience myself, which I wont go into here, as it is waaay off topic (but you can check it out here if you're interested http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page270.html). I have read that for many, many years the lamas of the Himalayas have seen a great many things in the miraculous world of Shambala and the Himalayas in gereral. I know Buddhism generally teaches that odd and/or paranormal, occurances such as these don't mean much and can't act as obsticles to our progress. However, in my opinion, whatever I saw was, was a great kick in the pants and amazing wake-up call. I wonder what "they" are really doing up there?:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the great insight and references!

~Ricky

Okay, let's try and remember that this is the Buddhism board, so it's somewhat invasive to start demonstrating a non-Buddhist view of Buddhism, when people are asking for a Buddhist understanding of an issue. :)

For Theosophy, the Modern Religions board is probably more appropriate. :)

Back