shaking womens hands

BlaznFattyz

Reaction score
i was reading a news article about The Netherlands becoming the first country in Europe to ban the burka, and in the article it stated that the muslims did not want to shake the hands of the Integration Minister, Rita Verdonk, because she was a woman. is not shaking hands with a women a muslim custom, an arabic custom, or a religious custom. is there scripture that states not to shake hands with women?

It is haraam for a Muslim man to Shake hands with a women who is not related to him.

The Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).

I'm sure more brothers will add to this hope this helps.

That Hadith dont says shaking hands is not allowed but it says touching a woman one is not allowed to,I asume it means touching a woman in any kind of sexual way unless one is married to the woman.I dont even know if shaking hands is an arabic tradition,but anyway people at the time used to greet each others by saying salam and it can be done by shaking hands or by just saying it.
I wonder why all the Arabic nations,I mean Muslim are so hard on woman.
Woman cant drive in Saudi Arabia,woman cant be a leader,the list could go on and on,thats just bad thinking.
Woman simply dont have as much right not even close,God tells us in the Quran that we all have the equal right,but most people just ignore it.
Hopefully the situation is going to change in Saudi Arabia sooner than later,as well the rest of Muslim nations.
peace.

You shouldn't say that Muslims are hard on women on this forum ! You should only discuss things on which Muslims agree.

GTv13 said:
That Hadith dont says shaking hands is not allowed but it says touching a woman one is not allowed to,I asume it means touching a woman in any kind of sexual way unless one is married to the woman.
You cant shake her hand without touching it! stop inserting your assumptions into it. Let me make it more clear for you. If it was your mother/sister/wife and a bunch of men wanted to shake thier hands and touch them, would you like it? Now, do you get the idea?
I dont even know if shaking hands is an arabic tradition,
exactly, you dont know!! Islamic law doesnt allow it. Bring proof of what you say, or stop misleading people, especially when you admit you dont know what you're talking about.
I wonder why all the Arabic nations,I mean Muslim are so hard on woman.Woman cant drive in Saudi Arabia,woman cant be a leader,the list could go on and on,thats just bad thinking.
Woman simply dont have as much right not even close,God tells us in the Quran that we all have the equal right,but most people just ignore it.
Hopefully the situation is going to change in Saudi Arabia sooner than later,as well the rest of Muslim nations.
well, why dont you go there and put them straight? You seem to think you know what you are talking about. Stop complaining, go and convince them and do the women a great service :p

You cant shake her hand without touching it! stop inserting your assumptions into it. Let me make it more clear for you. If it was your mother/sister/wife and a bunch of men wanted to shake thier hands and touch them, would you like it? Now, do you get the idea?
Yeah I get the Idea of course not anyone can just come up to my mom and just shake hands,but my mom does shake hands with close friends when they come over or the other way around,or like when my mom goes to a job interview.
I know I shake hands with the woman when they try to shake hands with me.
If you think the Hadith says shaking hands not allowed at all,thats fine.
exactly, you dont know!! Islamic law doesnt allow it. Bring proof of what you say, or stop misleading people, especially when you admit you dont know what you're talking about.
Yeah exactly!bah..how many times did you responde in the exact same way,like I was saying I knew.You know I said I did not know so why do you always keep repeating what I say.But you could have let me know what the custom was,if the Arabs back than did shake hands or not if you didnt know than you could just ignored what I said,I mean not responde to it at all.

Anyway do you know the reason why shaking hands would not be allowed?I know why touching a woman in a sexual way is not allowed but just shaking hands with a politician, I dont see any good reason not to do that.

Maybe you have a good reason to convince me.

mansio said:
You shouldn't say that Muslims are hard on women on this forum ! You should only discuss things on which Muslims agree.

so what does that mean?
when you shake a womens hand, you should shake it real easy & not real hard?

i dont mean to stray off topic, but, to me anyway, doesnt reading scripture and applying it to daily life also require some common sense. for example, in todays society it is hard to earn a living without both husband and wife going to work. so, to address the ultra conservative muslims that do not let their wives drive, even the king of saudi arabia says that women will able soon to have drivers licenses and get around on their own. also, if you want your wife to work to make ends meet, in the u.s. it is customary to shake the hands of the people interviewing. god knows it is not sexual, its business. isnt then that common sense to allow it?

Muslim men are not to shake hands with a non mahram women I don't care what the case is it is Haraam.

Yaqinud Din said:
Muslim men are not to shake hands with a non mahram women I don't care what the case is it is Haraam.

are you allowed to touch pinky fingers with non mahram women?
or is this a touch issue.

Pinky fingers is also Haraam the women could have something on her hand and this would be Haraam also.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
The most correct view is that this (i.e., shaking hands with women from behind a barrier) is not allowed at all, because of the general meaning of the hadeeth, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I do not shake hands with women;” and so as to ward off the means that may lead to evil.

BlaznFattyz said:
i dont mean to stray off topic, but, to me anyway, doesnt reading scripture and applying it to daily life also require some common sense. for example, in todays society it is hard to earn a living without both husband and wife going to work. so, to address the ultra conservative muslims that do not let their wives drive, even the king of saudi arabia says that women will able soon to have drivers licenses and get around on their own. also, if you want your wife to work to make ends meet, in the u.s. it is customary to shake the hands of the people interviewing. god knows it is not sexual, its business. isnt then that common sense to allow it?
You really must learn how to speak to people if your purpose is to solicit an answer. You are using a western-based lifestyle as your benchmark and since what we say goes against it, you consider it against 'common sense'. You insinuate in your statement that we speak nonsense. Please refrain from such statements while posting on this board.
The short answer is what Yaqinud Din said in his last post. It is to avoid what may lead to evil. Just think about it and let it sink in.
regards,
thipps.

GTv13 said:
That Hadith dont says shaking hands is not allowed but it says touching a woman one is not allowed to,I asume it means touching a woman in any kind of sexual way unless one is married to the woman.

peace.

those are very good points made GTv13. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

BlaznFattyz said:
those are very good points made GTv13. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
He has been banned. so, he wont be making any more 'very good points'.

Also, please respect that the Islam board is for questions and discussions about Islam - in effect, you are enjoying the hospitality of Muslims and it would be rude to disrespect that.

"mahram" doesnt that refer to marriage? i was just asking about shaking hands? is shaking hands considered dating? and thats why its not allowed? or maybe guys, in many countries, make the rules and they know behind innocent hand shaking is their bad intentions?

I do like to make an other point.

"We narrate to you the most accurate history through the revelation of this Quran. Before this, you were totally unaware." 12:3

"In their history, there is a lesson for those who possess intelligence......" 12:111

"She was told, "Go inside the palace." When she saw its interior, she thought it was a pool of water, and she (pulled up her dress) exposing her legs. He said, "This interior is now paved with crystal." She said, "MY LORD, I HAVE WRONGED MY SOUL. I NOW SUBMIT WITH SOLOMON TO GOD, LORD OF THE UNIVERSE."

In the Quran God tells us about the Queen of Sheba.She used to worship sun instead of God Almighty.Later she became a beliver in God One and Only while still the Queen of Sheba,the ruler of a nation.

Now,what does that tell us?
Does it tell us woman cant lead a nation?
Does it tell us all woman should be hiding behind a curtain at all times?
Does it tell us woman cant shake hands?
Or that woman cant go shoping alone or work,go to school and so on?
NO,it dont tell us any of that.

I hope you all think a little harder and see the truth,dont be stubborn.
It is not that hard to understnd.

By the way banning my old name was laime,there was no reason for that.
I was trying to prove a point but sadly you wont listen.
peace.

BlaznFattyz said:
"mahram" doesnt that refer to marriage?
Mahram refers to the group of people who are unlawful for a woman to marry due to marital or blood relationships.
i was just asking about shaking hands? is shaking hands considered dating?

Muslims arent allowed to date. We do not go about this as you go about it.
and thats why its not allowed? or maybe guys, in many countries, make the rules and they know behind innocent hand shaking is their bad intentions?
No, the reason was explained by Yaqinuddin and I specifically highlighted it for you. Please go back to the relevant threads and read them again.
Please also note that rules in Islamic Law are based on the Qur'an and the Sunnah, 'guys' dont make them.

thipps said:
Let me make it more clear for you. If it was your mother/sister/wife and a bunch of men wanted to shake thier hands and touch them, would you like it?

Touch? In a sexual way? no, I would not accept that. But I am having real difficulty seeing how a hand shake is in any way sexual.

Any man in the world has my permission to shake my mother's hand, it is a declaration of friendship, respect and equality.

Do my learned muslim friends really consider this act sexually immoral? Or is it more of a religious observance?

Peace to all! ....now, I hope I don't come off as aggressive here, but, why should it be such big news that islamic representatives do not want to shake the Minister's hand because she is a woman...what if we turn this around -to really try to see if from the opposite point of view - why does the Minister NOT want to greet them in the way which is customary in their countries?? ... If these were "western" men not trying to shake her hand, that would be different, I would consider that an offense, but, if these men will not shake hands with women outside their own families, not shaking hands with her is not an offensive gesture, and should not be construed as one...

Back