Singing is wrong but its O.K. to shout?

Samuel Linton Boot

Subdued Member
Reaction score
I was watching a programme on the telly about the practise of Sufism (which apparently represents popular Islam) all over the Muslim world; the forms were different depending on the place but the essential ingredients were the same; their were people (even participants from other faiths) drumming, singing, chanting and dancing or whirling in ecstatic God consciousness. I found it beautiful, inspiring and delightful. When the programme finished I turned over to a programme called Mosque, a serial which was being shown during Rammadan, in this episode (the only one I watched) an Imam shouted and shouted moral instructions at his congregation, I found it really tiresome.

Why is music banned by some Mullahs. Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) joined in the singing when he was helping dig the trenches outside Medina and the girls of Medina sang compositions to welcome him when he first arrived. No?

Samuel Linton Boot said:
I was watching a programme on the telly about the practise of Sufism (which apparently represents popular Islam) all over the Muslim world; the forms were different depending on the place but the essential ingredients were the same; their were people (even participants from other faiths) drumming, singing, chanting and dancing or whirling in ecstatic God consciousness. I found it beautiful, inspiring and delightful. When the programme finished I turned over to a programme called Mosque, a serial which was being shown during Rammadan, in this episode (the only one I watched) an Imam shouted and shouted moral instructions at his congregation, I found it really tiresome.

Why is music banned by some Mullahs. Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) joined in the singing when he was helping dig the trenches outside Medina and the girls of Medina sang compositions to welcome him when he first arrived. No?
h|,
I dont see the point of trying to answer your question as you have already decided that those who say that use of musical instruments is forbidden are 'some Mullahs'.
Anyway, dont know if ur making a distinction between singing (where use of musical instruments is not necessary) and music (where instruments are definitely used). I suggest you look at the evidence and not at what some people are doing. The people dont decide what is right and wrong.
You can check out the Music thread.
Hope this helped.
And Allaah knows best.

Back