• I haven't really thought about it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

poolking

Reaction score
Hello All,

As the title says.

Do you believe in fate?

There are not many things I believe in anymore but I do believe our lives are pre-destined. Many times I have thought, what if I had done something differently, would my life be as happy as it is now?

You should always look forward and not back and you should never "tempt fate" what do you think?

I'll put a vote in for Fate, despite any objections to the vagueness of what is being asked. :)

Our group behaviours are can be modelled in mathematical terms - thus the Will of any individual becomes nothing more remarble than a single predictable outcome from a range of probable variables.

I've always felt directed by Fate. In a way, it's like rowing my boat along the stream. Simply personal perception.

Hi Brian :cool:

Have you read Isaac Asimov's "Foundation"? His "psycho-history" theory is pretty much the same as what you've just said. Through complex mathematics, one could predict what would happen to a society. I had never thought of the parallel between that theory and Fate, though... something to think about .. :rolleyes:

Kal

Hi Kaldayen - yes, read the first in the Foundation series, anyway. Good call on the comparison. :)

Certainly history itself seems to throw up predictable patterns - but these, of course, are best noted with hindsight. Perhaps the term "Karma" itself is as much a mechanistic viewpoint of the process - and perhaps even can be applied to societies as much as individuals.

(yes I am going around raising the old threads from the dead latley lol... sue me, be interesting to get more fresh thoughts on them I thought?)

I think Fate is a way one sherks Responsibility........ I believe fate to be a coward concept.....

(yes I am going around raising the old threads from the dead latley lol... sue me, be interesting to get more fresh thoughts on them I thought?)

I think Fate is a way one sherks Responsibility........ I believe fate to be a coward concept.....

just thought i would put over the bibles thought on it

the bible does not teach fate

Fate

Definition:
An inevitable and often adverse outcome. Fatalism is the belief that all events are determined by the divine will or by some force greater than man, that every event must take place as it does because it has been predetermined. Not a Bible word or teaching

Does​
everyone have a predetermined “time to die”?

This belief was popular among the Greeks and Romans. According to pagan Greek mythology, the Fates were three goddesses that spun the thread of life, determined its length, and cut it.​

stars impel but do not compel; infinite possibilities and potentialities in every moment but earthbound and naturalized we find hard to change habits that seem hardwired and characters solidify [for the majority!]

We have freedom of choice.
That a choice does exist is evident from the following scripture:

“I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the malediction; and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring, by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice and by sticking to him; for he is your life and the length of your days.” (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20)

Why would Jehovah God encourage us to choose life if no choice existed?

Hi Kaldayen - yes, read the first in the Foundation series, anyway. Good call on the comparison. :)

Certainly history itself seems to throw up predictable patterns - but these, of course, are best noted with hindsight. Perhaps the term "Karma" itself is as much a mechanistic viewpoint of the process - and perhaps even can be applied to societies as much as individuals.

Nice post Brian

Often I have felt that in some situations I have no control over my fate, as if something were pulling me through events as they happen. At other times I feel totally free to go in any way. At times that freedom has felt maddening, times when it felt as though the whole remainder of my life is determined by what direction I go at the corner. Those times make me think that every step I take is like that.

Does any one believe in degrees of fate, a spectrum of fate?

Back