Hello everyone!

Elvendon

Believer
Reaction score
Greetings to you all, and my I say I'm glad to be here! I hope I can usefully contribute to the many interesting dicussions I've seen on these forums.

A little about myself - I'm a student living in Oxfordshire, England and I am a Christian. I am CofE and intend to remain so, but I have a real passion for walking on the wild side of faith - nature religions and a degree of animism really resonates with me. I love talking about religion (which often bores my friends at school lol :)) and so I thought it might be nice to give their ears a break and bother you lovely people instead!

For a while I've been posting on the forums of a website called evilbible.com as I felt that the conception of Christianity that the writers and posters on that forum have is not really anything like the normal, undogmatic forms of Christianity I am familiar with so I wanted to show them that not all Christians were like the image they had of us! Some of the posters there also were intolerant and dogmatic themselves, so I sought to encourage them out of that rut. I have been banned twice (once for making "mistakes in my logic" - by disputing that Newcomb's Paradox (with respect to God's omniscience) was actually a paradox and once for saying that God is love (no joke - the moderator said that it "wasn't consistent with the dictionary definition of God".) I have finally given up on the place, as though there are many good people there, there are many who are guilty of intellectual dishonesty and intolerance.

Anyways, I looked at this forum and realised that it was an all-round much nicer (and fairer) place for discussion. I also hope that you all might be willing to help me work out some of my own theological problems.

God Bless

Elvendon

Hi Elvendon, and welcome to CR. :)

Sounds like you may find some of the discussions here more interesting - think there could be some interesting synergy with path_of_one's approach to Christianity. :)

I said:
Hi Elvendon, and welcome to CR. :)

Sounds like you may find some of the discussions here more interesting - think there could be some interesting synergy with path_of_one's approach to Christianity. :)

I have read some of what she has written, I like it!

Welcome Elvendon. I'm not your usual kind of Christian either, so it's all good :)

I look forward to seeing you around the place.

God Bless,

Jonathan xxxx.

Elvendon said:
...For a while I've been posting on the forums of a website called evilbible.com as I felt that the conception of Christianity that the writers and posters on that forum have is not really anything like the normal, undogmatic forms of Christianity I am familiar with so I wanted to show them that not all Christians were like the image they had of us! Some of the posters there also were intolerant and dogmatic themselves, so I sought to encourage them out of that rut. ...
Having never heard of the site I clicked over there and dabbled with the athiests for a bit.

I quickly got banned.

One of the their arguments was that the bible is so full of hate, rape, murder, bad people and such a mean G-d to be valuable in any sense. And another was that it was all allegory, metaphor and fables. I inquired that if it was all metaphor and fables and fiction, then why the issues with what it say, it is just a story.

They also rely heavily on the fact that Jesus never existed yet wish to complain about everything he said...again I pointed out they need to pick a venue, you can't have issues with what a fictitious man says.

They didn't like that I didn't believe in the anthropomorphic Zeus type G-d that they didn't believe in...I don't know exactly why I was banned because I can't get back in to see. They've obviously got the last word on every one of my posts though.

twas interesting while it lasted.

Back