Who were the Ebionites?

Jeannot

Jeannot
Reaction score
"The disciples said to Jesus, 'We know you are going to leave us. Who will be our leader?

"Jesus said to them, 'No matter where you are, your are to go to James the Just, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."

It is unlikely that this passage from the Gospel of Thomas is something that Jesus actually said, nevertheless, the saying about James illustrates that there was a tradition exalting James the Just and his role. In the letter of James, he speaks of his "church" as a synagogue. Presuming that the author is Jesus' brother, this tells us that the religion that Jesus' immediate followers, like James, Peter, and John practiced was Judaism -- NOT Christianity. Passages in Luke and Acts confirm this.

James was apparently a leader of the group known as the Ebionites (from the Hebrew "Ebionim," the poor). We know about them from hostile writers like Irenaeus. He says that they had only one gospel, that of Matthew. But it could not have been canonical Matthew, since most Ebionites did not accept the Virgin Birth. Perhaps it was the "Hebrew" (probably Aramaic) Matthew spoken of by Papias (as reported in Eusebius).

Perhaps it was also the reputed (and disputed) "Q" document. The Ebionim seem to have taken their name from a passage found in Luke, "Blessed are the poor (actually the Greek means "destitute") This may well have been the form of the saying in "Q" (or Aramaic Matt), and canonical Matt added "in spirit."

In Mark and Matt, Jesus makes a date with the disciples to meet them in Galilee after the Resurrection. Mark, of course, concludes with the empty tomb. And in Matt there IS an appearance on some mountain in Galilee, but the location is completely perfunctory; it could have been anywhere.

In short, the arranged meeting in Galilee may go back to an authentic saying of Jesus. Two of the criteria for establishing the likelihood of authenticity are 1) Embarrassment; and 2) Discontinuity. This saying is embarrassing because of its discontinuity. That is, there is nothing in Mark or Matt that leads up to it or follows from it (except the perfunctory appearance in Matt). IOW, WHY would Jesus have arranged a meeting in Galilee, unless he saw that as an important venue for his mission?

Now note that Luke has no meeting, either promised or actual. And in Luke's Acts, the action is in Jerusalem, and later in the Diaspora. So we have a gaping hole in early Christian history regarding the "church" (actually, synagogue) in Galilee.

I mean, after all, most of Jesus' activity -- preaching and healing -- was in Galilee. There had to be thousands of his followers there. But we hear nothing about them. Luke is too smitten with Paul.

We do, however, get some hints in the various missions in the Synoptics (Mark 6:7-13; Matt 10:5-23; (Luke 9:1-6 & 10:1-20). It is likely that there were a number of missions, and this is how the "apostles" got their name -- Greek APOSTOLOI means "those who are sent." They were sent to announce the Kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

Jesus seems to be sending out destitute, itinerant prophets to the homes of poor farmers, (Crossan’s thesis) etc. "Do not worry about what you shall eat, what you shall wear .... Rather, seek first the kingdom of God and these things shall be added to you." And indeed they were, as we read in Luke 10:17-20.

My thesis is that these apostles/prophets were the original Ebionim.

Another tidbit, BTW, is that later Ebionites told the 3rd-century Bishop Epiphanius that their economic practice went back to that recorded in Acts 4:32-37, the practice of holding everything in common, as monks continue to do. The practice of destitute, barefoot apostles was briefly revived by St Francis in the 13th Century.

There is an excellent book, James The Brother Of Jesus, by Robert Eisenman that provides extensive commentary on the presumed life of James and his works. Well worth reading, and provides many intriguing perspectives on the life and works of Jesus and his brother. There is also a school of thought that James was an alias for Joseph of Arimathea, whose role in the gospels we are all familiar with.

flow....:)

flowperson said:
There is an excellent book, James The Brother Of Jesus, by Robert Eisenman that provides extensive commentary on the presumed life of James and his works. Well worth reading, and provides many intriguing perspectives on the life and works of Jesus and his brother. There is also a school of thought that James was an alias for Joseph of Arimathea, whose role in the gospels we are all familiar with.

Flow,

I have that book, and have slogged through most of it. I found it pretty tough going, but still interesting.

It's been a couple of years, but as I recall, Eisenman makes much of James' vegetarianism and general asceticism. It appears that he was held in high regard by the Pharisees, who were the ones who protested when he was wrongly executed.

As I recall, Eisenman connects James to the Essenes? Or at least, sees James as practicing pretty much what the Essenes did.

It's interesting that in Paul's letters, Paul continually refers to the congregations he was overseeing as ekklesiai. But James refers to the sunagoge, and addresses his letter to the "twelve tribes in the Diaspora."

In general, James was what Paul calls a "Judaizer."

I haven't seen much comment (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist) on the fact that Jesus apparently says he's founding his church on Peter, but yet it's James who is the first head of the church in Acts.

Jeannot said:
I haven't seen much comment (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist) on the fact that Jesus apparently says he's founding his church on Peter, but yet it's James who is the first head of the church in Acts.

The Catholic church believes the church was founded on Peter according to this passage:

"Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." - Matthew 16:17-18

However, some Protestant groups would contend that the "rock" found in this passage is really refering to Jesus, rather than Peter, based on the semantics of word Peter (or petros, which means "piece of rock"), and the word "rock" (or petra), which means a mass of rock. It is a play on words that Jesus is contrasting Peter as a small stone, but on the large Rock of Jesus, the gates of Hell will not prevail.

Just a few verses later, when Peter told Jesus that he would not allow Jesus to be killed, Jesus rebuked him saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men." - Matthew 16:23

Whoa! Doesn't sound like Jesus is too confident in Peter at this point.

Remember that Jesus told Peter all this before Peter denied Him. In Luke 22:31-34 we read,

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me."

And it would seem quite the challenge for Peter to regard himself as the Rock in the Church as he bitterly wept after the deed was done. Moreover, 1 Corinthians 10:4 tell us Christ is the Rock.

So while Peter was the prominant figure in the church, this does leave room for James to be the Leader at the time. But didn't James get executed by Herod early on in Acts 12? And isn't it amazing how God spared Peter just afterward?

Dondi said:
The Catholic church believes the church was founded on Peter according to this passage:

"Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." - Matthew 16:17-18

However, some Protestant groups would contend that the "rock" found in this passage is really refering to Jesus, rather than Peter, based on the semantics of word Peter (or petros, which means "piece of rock"), and the word "rock" (or petra), which means a mass of rock. It is a play on words that Jesus is contrasting Peter as a small stone, but on the large Rock of Jesus, the gates of Hell will not prevail.

Just a few verses later, when Peter told Jesus that he would not allow Jesus to be killed, Jesus rebuked him saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men." - Matthew 16:23

Whoa! Doesn't sound like Jesus is too confident in Peter at this point.

Remember that Jesus told Peter all this before Peter denied Him. In Luke 22:31-34 we read,

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me."

And it would seem quite the challenge for Peter to regard himself as the Rock in the Church as he bitterly wept after the deed was done. Moreover, 1 Corinthians 10:4 tell us Christ is the Rock.

So while Peter was the prominant figure in the church, this does leave room for James to be the Leader at the time. But didn't James get executed by Herod early on in Acts 12? And isn't it amazing how God spared Peter just afterward?

I guess you had to be there, huh? I mean, to get the import of the "rock" passage.

BTW, this is true of a lot of passages, which may be one reason Jesus never wrote a book. The printed word can be very deceptive, without the body language, tone of voice, facial expression, etc.

A master's words are alive when he is speaking them to his disciples, but then may become kind of embalmed when you write them down.

Also, that's a different James in Acts 12, "the brother of John." James (Ya'akov) was a pretty common name then. There's at least three of them in the NT. Our James was illegally executed in 62. And note that it was not Peter who succeeded him.

This all goes back to an observation I made on another site, that the creation of humans resulted in two genotypes/phenotypes, tree people and rock people.

Whatever was intended in terms of Jesus' delegation of ongoing authority in His absence, whether the church should have been carried forward under James' leadership (tree people) or Peter's leadership (rock people), or shared by both, is lost to antiquity. We only have the results of historical evolution for evidence, the church survives under the control and leadership of rock people to this day.

This dualistic theme also is evident in the construction of Genesis as I noted on another thread here. And this phenomenon is subtly recognized throughout biblical scenes such as in the accompaniment of G-d's first priest, Melchizedek the Zadokite, by two unnamed men when he visited and supped with Abram at his tent early on in the Abraham story.

Dondi said:

Another interpretation about who or what Jesus meant by "rock" is that Jesus was talking about the faith that Peter had. The faith in Jesus as the Son of God through whom salvation is made available to humans can be seen as the rock against which hell will not prevail. Faith is the rock.

Back