Pagan Clergy

F

FallonBaine

I have heard it is practically impossible to dedicate one's life to Paganism in the same way that a nun or monk is able to do in other religions. There is Shamanism, and someone can enter an alternative healing profession, but is there a way to live by being a part of the Pagan clergy?

Most modern Pagan groups do have clergy who lead, teach, and generally keep things running.

However it is true that few if any of these clergy "make their living" as clergy. To pay the bills they have regular day jobs. Even the vast majority of modern Pagan authors have other jobs because there isn't enough money in writing to pay the bills.

Part of the reason for this is that few modern Pagan religions focus on money the way many mainstream religions such as Christianity do. Not many Pagan groups expect their members to tithe or give substantial donations which then are used to pay clergy's salary. Yet any day of the week you can turn on the television and flip the channels to find Christian television shows which are all about begging for financial contributions as much as about sharing a message.

FallonBaine said:
I have heard it is practically impossible to dedicate one's life to Paganism in the same way that a nun or monk is able to do in other religions. There is Shamanism, and someone can enter an alternative healing profession, but is there a way to live by being a part of the Pagan clergy?

There were celibates in ancient paganism such as the Vestal Virgins and theres no reason why the 'Religio Romana' couldn't reinstitute this, if they haven't already...I'll just nip off and check...hang on....:)

Back