Jesus and Humanism

RubySera_Martin

Reaction score
I'm reposting this from another thread and adding more thoughts to it:

I think Jesus was a humanist if ever there was one. I'm talking about what is sometimes referred to as secular humanism where it is believed (proven by psychology I would say) that nurturing the soul or self makes a stronger person to stand the wear and tear of life. What Jesus teaches seems to be the end results of humanism.

For a quick overview of humanism, see:
The reason I think Jesus was a humanist is because it was through humanism that I was "saved." What was I saved from? Not sin. But from the hoplessness of trying to measure up to the standard of people who were resolved to suppress and annihilate my very spirit.

Through self-improvement/self-esteem books I learned what rights I had as a human in relation to other humans, and that the things I was (and had been all my life) condemned for were not necessarily bad. It was people not understanding me and trying to make me in their own image.

Or perhaps they were vindictive. I don't know. All I know is that when I took action and committed myself to finding personal happiness and meaning in life at all costs, I started getting positive feedback from the people around me. Granted, it was not the same people who had been condemning me but it was human beings.

That told me that being true to oneself is the most important goal in life. The cost was humungous, but nothing in comparison the continuing under the existing circumstances.

During that first year or two after I made major life decisions and changes Bible verses would come to me in odd moments, complete with a new interpretations. Those interpretations showed me how I had followed Jesus' teachings, denied my Self, taken up the Cross, and followed Jesus. Just like Jesus says.

I thought I had turned my back on all that was holy yet these Bible verses showed me I had simply found the true meaning of Jesus' teachings. I had followed Jesus' teachings without knowing it.

And I found that indeed "my yoke is easy and my burden is light." He had indeed given rest to my soul. Jesus also said that "he who has laid his hand to the plow and looks back is not worthy of the kingdom of heaven." There is also a parable about a person who "found a pearl of great price and sold all he had to buy the field where the pearl was." I saw myself in all of these things.

Being true to myself brought me a peace and joy and liberty I did not know existed. It was the "pearl of great price" and it was worth every last penny it cost me. When I so much as try to go back one step I feel as though I were placing mself in bondage. When I go again by the old guiding light of public opinion I find myself returning to the old ways. It truly has been like Jesus said, not to look back because looking/going back so much as one step causes me to lose what I found.

For these reasons I think being true to oneself=the kingdom of heaven and of God. Because I was "saved" via humanism and through it found myself obeying Jesus' commands I think Jesus was a humanist.

Does anybody else see any of these connections between the teachings of humanism and Jesus' teachings?

RubySera_Martin said:
Being true to myself brought me a peace and joy and liberty I did not know existed. It was the "pearl of great price" and it was worth every last penny it cost me. When I so much as try to go back one step I feel as though I were placing mself in bondage. When I go again by the old guiding light of public opinion I find myself returning to the old ways. It truly has been like Jesus said, not to look back because looking/going back so much as one step causes me to lose what I found.

For these reasons I think being true to oneself=the kingdom of heaven and of God. Because I was "saved" via humanism and through it found myself obeying Jesus' commands I think Jesus was a humanist.

Does anybody else see any of these connections between the teachings of humanism and Jesus' teachings?

Ruby:

Your description of your experience is inspiring. It's amazing how familiar your story about finding a real meaning in Jesus and his teachings is to my own discovery. :)

I agree that it's perfectly appropriate to think of "Christianity" as "Humanism" in the sense of "self-transcendence" (one of Maslow's hierarchy of needs you linked to). I've visited with Muslims, Buddhists and even Atheists who share a similar experience even though the literature may appear to be different.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Ruby:

Your description of your experience is inspiring. It's amazing how familiar your story about finding a real meaning in Jesus and his teachings is to my own discovery. :)

I will be happy to read it when and if you decide to write your story.

I agree that it's perfectly appropriate to think of "Christianity" as "Humanism" in the sense of "self-transcendence" (one of Maslow's hierarchy of needs you linked to).

Thank you for understanding.

I've visited with Muslims, Buddhists and even Atheists who share a similar experience even though the literature may appear to be different.

I have not talked with people about this but I've seen it in people from many different belief systems and walks of life. Maybe I should clarify. What I have seen is honesty with self and one's own feelings. There is a clarity and calm peacefulness in such people that is absent in others. This crosses religious boundaries and lines. That is what convinces me that religion in and of itself has nothing to do with making a person better or happier. I believe religion may at times be the catylist through which some people find this inner fulfillment. Some of these then become staunch advocators for whatever religion "helped" them. Esp. if that religion was Christianity. Maybe people who convert to other religions are not so strong on this. I wouldn't know for sure.

RubySera_Martin said:
I will be happy to read it when and if you decide to write your story.

It's in the thread "Alternative Christian Awakenings."

RubySera_Martin said:
That is what convinces me that religion in and of itself has nothing to do with making a person better or happier. I believe religion may at times be the catylist through which some people find this inner fulfillment. Some of these then become staunch advocators for whatever religion "helped" them. Esp. if that religion was Christianity.

I think this is very well said. Thanks.

RubySera_Martin said:
I have not talked with people about this but I've seen it in people from many different belief systems and walks of life. Maybe I should clarify. What I have seen is honesty with self and one's own feelings. There is a clarity and calm peacefulness in such people that is absent in others. This crosses religious boundaries and lines. That is what convinces me that religion in and of itself has nothing to do with making a person better or happier. I believe religion may at times be the catylist through which some people find this inner fulfillment. Some of these then become staunch advocators for whatever religion "helped" them. Esp. if that religion was Christianity. Maybe people who convert to other religions are not so strong on this. I wouldn't know for sure.

I have enjoyed your back and forth with Abogado, and more or less agree that humanism is what Jesus taught. IMHO much of the teaching has been needlessly, and perhaps unintentionally, smothered in lots of ritual, creed, and dogma over the centuries and this has caused a lot of conflict within Christianity. But human institutions must create organizational and operational rules to follow if the instution is to be endowed with the ability to transcend time carrying a set of memories and attendant beliefs along with it.

Today the conflict between secular humanists and organized religion is really one of how to institutionalize important teachings for the people of the future so that they might understand and apply them to their lives. My opinion is that increasingly the methods of the past don't get the job done very well anymore, and just about everyone is looking to create something that works better.

Yes, knowing oneself and then staying consistently true to that in life is the key to spiritual and emotional freedom. And this dangerous mixing of religion and government that's going on in many countries these days is not, IMO, the way to make real progress. In fact it tends to counter the liberating nature of self-truth and chill the progress of ethical and moral behavior into the future.

flow....;)

flowperson said:
And this dangerous mixing of religion and government that's going on in many countries these days is not, IMO, the way to make real progress. In fact it tends to counter the liberating nature of self-truth and chill the progress of ethical and moral behavior into the future.

flow....;)
I'm not sure but I think you are talking about fundamentalism. It's the focus of my study. How to come up with something to take its place is part of my personal search and, as opportunity allows, it becomes part of my academic pursuits. I've felt like I'm working alone--that no one in positions of authority understands the threat of fundamentalism to our planet. I have now found a sociologist who believes my focus is important for the same reasons I do.

But the problem is far larger than one or two little scholars can fix, esp. theologians. We need political scientists on the case, too. But mostly I think we need something that will take the place of fundamentalism in the hearts of the masses. I'm not sure what that is.

Perhaps physical security. With war and rumors of war so rampant the fear factor is way up. Something larger than the frail human brain and body is required simply to get a good night's sleep. Belief that an almighty God (who is on our side) is in control goes a long way. Fundamentalist religion promises this no matter if you're Christian or Muslim.

Jesus and the humanists say, just put away your war toys. Let's look at what really is the problem here. It's something so huge and so horrible that almost any alternative seems preferable to it. But what is the root of this horribe thing? What, precisely, IS the thing?

The way I see it, it's fear turned loose. I'm quite sure I'm wrong but I do think that part of the driving power behind this fear is the fear that someone somewhere will pull the trigger that will annihilate the planet. That, however, is the ultimate horror and we dare not think about it. So fear does all kinds of crazy things to divert our attention.

This planet and its inhabitants need God in a way never before experienced. It's not like we can just move to the other side of the mountain if our community gets destroyed, or even to the other side of the country or the other side of the ocean.

Now if absolutely everybody--every single human body alive on the planet, would just put down all weapons. Stand up straight. Look at the sky. Admire the beauty of its color. And listen to the birds for one hour. For emphasis it might help if somone--probably the most powerful world leader--had his finger on the trigger but didn't pull it. During those thirty-six thousand seconds of absolute peace and quiet, perhaps the idea would take hold to plant crops so there will be something to eat next winter.

I dunno. That's an awfully simplistic way of putting things. But aren't we almost out of options? I don't think that one has been tried yet. Ever.

Back