What defines a Christian?

Of course, it is entirely possible to believe in the Dignity of Man, and the Divinity of Man, understanding Humanity as a Divine Center in God's Being ... and be a Christian. One might say this is Esoteric Christianity, or Mystical Christianity, yet it is certainly not Humanism, as Humanistic Teachings are far more secular in nature and emphasis.

The esoteric or mystical Christian simply rejects the notion that Humanity is wicked, worthless, or deserving of condemnation. Yet s/he accepts that a Divine Representative (the Christ) from the Father's House has appeared on both God's and Humanity's behalf, in order to help bridge these two Kingdoms in nature ... and synthesize them into a cooperating whole. The esoteric Christian, therefore, accepts that Humanity needs Divine assistance, yet s/he also asserts that Humanity is worthy, andis capable, of its own accord. In fact, God needs Humanity, since we are part of God's Creation originally, and since AT NO TIME has Humanity ceased to be PART of God's Creation. :)

Such ideas as original sin have no place in an esoteric or mystical theology, unless we can appreciate the `Fall' as a descent from one state - or relationship with God - to another. Certainly in the latter, or current state, we do not have the same communion, or "proximity" to God as we previously enjoyed, yet the choice to make this descent (or `Fall') rests ultimately with GOD, and not with Humanity. Had the Fall not occurred, we would have no `Free Will!' It is only after Humanity's Fall, that we began to develop this Divine Potential. And the more fully we cooperate with God's Laws, and God's Plan for our spiritual evolution (Ephesians 4:13) ... the more truly we can say that we are fulfilling our ultimate potential to literally be gods.

Then again, many a Christian rejects both the words of the Old Testament Law & Scriptures (Psalms, in this case), as well as the words of Christ Jesus, when He Himself reminded the doubting & misunderstanding Jews of their God-ordained Destiny. Psalms 82 discusses in some detail our relationship with God the Father, and the conditions of life in & upon this world of manifestation, God's Creation. This Psalm ends with a clear statement of the future condition of Government upon Earth, indicating that man & God shall meet, with one cooperating, Governing Body.

Yet the old ways die hard, and there is much clinging to the past, and resistance of the future. And we often believe as we were taught, rather than as God tells. :eek:

Love and Light,

taijasa

Terrence said:
lol...Sorry, I got lazy. The Bible comes in when God gives us grace to see Jesus for who He is. And that moment, the Bible, which was previously, old, dry, and boring, becomes our food where which we learn about God and hear from Him.
;)
Why the Bible?

taijasi said:
Of course, it is entirely possible to believe in the Dignity of Man, and the Divinity of Man, understanding Humanity as a Divine Center in God's Being ... and be a Christian. One might say this is Esoteric Christianity, or Mystical Christianity, yet it is certainly not Humanism, as Humanistic Teachings are far more secular in nature and emphasis.

The esoteric or mystical Christian simply rejects the notion that Humanity is wicked, worthless, or deserving of condemnation. Yet s/he accepts that a Divine Representative (the Christ) from the Father's House has appeared on both God's and Humanity's behalf, in order to help bridge these two Kingdoms in nature ... and synthesize them into a cooperating whole. The esoteric Christian, therefore, accepts that Humanity needs Divine assistance, yet s/he also asserts that Humanity is worthy, andis capable, of its own accord. In fact, God needs Humanity, since we are part of God's Creation originally, and since AT NO TIME has Humanity ceased to be PART of God's Creation. :)

Such ideas as original sin have no place in an esoteric or mystical theology, unless we can appreciate the `Fall' as a descent from one state - or relationship with God - to another. Certainly in the latter, or current state, we do not have the same communion, or "proximity" to God as we previously enjoyed, yet the choice to make this descent (or `Fall') rests ultimately with GOD, and not with Humanity. Had the Fall not occurred, we would have no `Free Will!' It is only after Humanity's Fall, that we began to develop this Divine Potential. And the more fully we cooperate with God's Laws, and God's Plan for our spiritual evolution (Ephesians 4:13) ... the more truly we can say that we are fulfilling our ultimate potential to literally be gods.

Then again, many a Christian rejects both the words of the Old Testament Law & Scriptures (Psalms, in this case), as well as the words of Christ Jesus, when He Himself reminded the doubting & misunderstanding Jews of their God-ordained Destiny. Psalms 82 discusses in some detail our relationship with God the Father, and the conditions of life in & upon this world of manifestation, God's Creation. This Psalm ends with a clear statement of the future condition of Government upon Earth, indicating that man & God shall meet, with one cooperating, Governing Body.

Yet the old ways die hard, and there is much clinging to the past, and resistance of the future. And we often believe as we were taught, rather than as God tells. :eek:

Love and Light,

taijasa
Hey Tai
Given my upbringing it might be a bit difficult to get my head round such ideas but you've got me curious. Are there any threads on those boards which give a good overview of these belief systems?

cavalier said:
Hey Tai
Given my upbringing it might be a bit difficult to get my head round such ideas but you've got me curious. Are there any threads on those boards which give a good overview of these belief systems?
Hmmm ... alas, I don't know of anything that's been done here yet that would comprehensively outline such ideas, without approaching them from the perspective of the Ageless Wisdom. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but when the focus is explicitly Esoteric Christianity, I'd like to see something that was a bit easier to approach. You might be able to glean something by checking the Esoteric, Mystical, and Liberal Xianity threads, but of course, it's up to you to piece it together.

I hesitate to call myself a true, mystical or esoteric Christian. However, I do feel that this is what I probably am at heart, more than say, an esoteric Buddhist, or Hindu/Vaishnava/Saivite. But my having arrived at this position and belief did require, or greatly benefit from, several years studing Theosophical and esoteric Teachings ... in the Ageless Wisdom tradition. Thus I am a believer in Mystery Schools, even as recent as those in Ephesus, with which St. Paul was thoroughly acquainted & familiar, as evidenced in his many writings. I also maintain that Christ Jesus (pre his `Christed' status, or designation) made travels all throughout the region, certainly to Egypt, Greece & surrounding areas, but also through the Far East even into what is present-day India, Kashmir and Tibet.

The early years of Jesus' life will be found, upon research & open-minded investigation, to have been spent among the Essenes, and currently I believe that this was a membership which included Mary & Joseph, who had some considerable awareness of their son as an "old soul," or as one extremely Spiritually advanced. Mary herself, as the Catholic Church has always recognized (yet as I think the Intuition & even common sense should tell us), was an exceptionally pure woman, very spiritually advanced herself, and has also progressed, in the two millennia since that incarnation, to the point of Masterhood (complete self-Mastery and the attainment of all that is destined for a person upon this planet). She has, however, entered the Deva (or Angelic) evolution, and acts - as an individual, making a Sacrifice - as the World Mother ... just as Isis, Astarte, and other select individuals (Devas) have in Earth's distant past. This, to me, is fascinating, as it shows one of the ways in which the two great Kingdoms upon this planet (and there are others, of which we know nothing) ... are cooperating, during the Reappearance.

Esoteric, or Mystical Christians, often - though not always - believe in or look to an astrological explanation for the appearance of Christ, when and where He last appeared. On other threads, I have seen this reference, and tried to outline it myself, but I'm not too versed in esoteric astrology, and I often muck it up. In short, the passage from Pisces to Aquarius, which has given rise to the common epithet `New Age,' is something scientific, verified and confirmed by modern science (astronomy), and is nothing new in our planet's history, insomuch as we have entered Aquarius millions of times in our evolution thus far (or at least, hundreds of thousands, if one does the math). The cycle of revolution of our solar system around the Pleiades (the star Alcyone, to be precise), takes about 25,900 years, meaning that each `age' or era lasts ~2160 years astrologically, give or take. Even the zodiac can vary, moving from fewer to more signs over vast periods. We will have 13 houses, as our path through the Heavens gradually changes, but currently still have twelve. This is beyond me, but I think it has to do with the fact that all objects revolve around greater objects, such that our entire Galaxy itself even orbits the supermassive black hole at its center (Saggitarius A, or something like that).

Yes, that's reaching a bit, but to ground such ideas more firmly in the everyday, Bible history of all Christians ... we know that God's guidance for us throughout the ages has always included reference to this Universal and objective knowledge (not belief, not simply `ideas'). How so? In that Christ, who came as the end of the cycle of Aries, was the promised LAMB, or Ram. He had been looked for, in this manner, since near the end of the previous cycle, of TAURUS, the Bull. And yet the golden CALF was still worshipped, we find out, which shows the rejection - at this period on the heavenly calendar - of God's Representative. Christianity, as an entire religion, even defines itself, according to the acceptance of Christ's coming and planetary significance (above & beyond purely cultural interpretations) at the end of the cycle of Aries, and beginning of that of Pisces (the fishes). Few Christians are unaware of the significance of the Ichthys, and I highly recommend this Wiki article, for more info on this Universal symbol. [The Aquarian Christ is the Water-Bearer, as He Himself indicated in Luke 22:10.]

Perhaps most importantly, and central to an esoteric or Mystical Christianity, is the idea that Christ Jesus fits into the context of God's ongoing - and still-developing - history of communication with and guidance of Humanity, and takes on additional meaning, significance or importance thereby. Certain errors of interpretation, and distortions of important relationships between God and Humanity, are restored ... regarding the `Chosen People' as a group, a very small subset, of the Human Family as a whole. This group has always arisen, throughout history, in different parts of the world ... always under the leadership of a Noah, or a direct expression of the 1st Aspect of God (vs. Christ, as Teacher, Who acts under, Represents and embodies for us the 2nd Aspect).

Even Humanity itself, which is a Divine Center in God's Being, representing the 3rd Aspect, has had its avatars and highly evolved representatives (both positively, or progressively focused, as well as negatively oriented, thus challenging & opposing God's Plan ... though also helping us to move forward, in certain ways, as we have struggled to overcome their influence). Esoteric Christianity then, though focused on the 2nd Aspect of God's Leadership, also recognizes the Ray or influence of the Leader Itself, the 1st Aspect ... from the Father's House. A careful study of the importance, role and even the person of Vaivasvata Manu (and the Manu in general) within Hinduism, will show, I think, that this idea has the SAME meaning, and is in fact the same individual, as Noah. Every mythology and world religion has taught this idea, such as Deucalion among the Greeks, who built an ARK ;) ... and Xisuthrus of Chaldea, upon whom the NOAH legend was based! [Would that the average Christian would research this, and learn more about the history of His religion and sacred teachings, ROOTED as they are in all the world's collective mythologies and sacred texts!]

In each of these narratives, and always under the guidance of a Noah-type figure, Humanity was preserved from utter destruction (materially) during the global catastrophe of the flood, brought about by our own karma, our own variance from God's Laws during a former civilization (Atlantis). New Age teachings may become a bit caught up in the technologies and details of Atlantis, but the point remains ... that the Ageless Wisdom was then taught to us OPENLY, and we were directly guided by God's Representatives (often called the Masters, or Elder Brothers, today). We abused our knowledge, misapplied the lessons of the Christs of the day, and a schism began between God (represented through the Teachers, or Elder Brothers) and Humanity. This tale, told with variations or limitations, depending on which culture has adapted it, always comes to the same conclusion. In one way or another, God was forced to withdraw, and Humanity was required to suffer the consequences of its errors, according to the LAW (which Christ, the Buddha, and all other Teachers have emphasized, namely Karma, Cause & Effect, Sowing & Reaping).

Esoteric Christianity is not in the least frightened by the taboos placed upon the easily-impressionable masses (sic, and a double entendre at that!) throughout the ages. Esoteric Christians have existed since even during the time of Christ Jesus, as BEFORE this man's birth & appearance there were already those who were persected for what they believed. And while the average Jew lived in a state of oppression, fearing the Roman Empire politically, it is safe to say that the Essenes (and other Brotherhoods which taught and guarded the Wisdom) were oppressed by Rome doubly so, or triply. Rome feared ANY group that could threaten its power & authority by inspiring or organizing the occupied people's against her. And while the group of Essenes were small, they knew and taught things ... which certainly frightened various of the Roman authorites far more than an occasional zealot who could bandy the militants about him. Armed conflict is dangerous, but it is infinitely more dangerous to have a group of intelligent and informed individuals whose organizing purpose is not in accord with Rome's ambitions to world dominance.

So the Christian who is caught up in the history of persecution, and who still easily identifies with the martyr complex, gladly dying for Jesus ... or happy to be an example for the Cause ... will need to remember that before Christiantiy, and all throughout these past 20 centuries of dark times, there have been groups, and individuals, persecuted for their Christian beliefs. Often they have literally & physically guarded God's Teachings, even including material, or objective representations of God's PROMISE, or Covenant with Humanity - that we shall always be answered, if we seek guidance. The Knights Templar come to mind, but also certain Tibetan orders of monks.

It is easy to stand and criticize, and call attention to problems - both personal, and collective - and we can talk all day long about what is WRONG with ourselves, with each other, with current political or even religious leadership ... and rail against injustice. It is much harder, to point out what is GOOD, what is positive, in all of the above, even in the most bleak of situations, and circumstances. Elie Wiesel, Victor Frankl, and quite a large number of esotericists throughout history whom I could name off the top of my head (Galileo comes to mind, as does Hypatia, and Joan of Arc), have been able to do this for us. Some have identified themselves, either openly or in writing, as Christian. Some have not.

Exclusivity, while creating a certain identity, and even a privileged status, temporarily, is not a solution in the long run. When division is created unnecessarily, and certain status is preserved at all costs ... entire nations can perish. When it is nations that insist on playing this game, the stakes are even higher - and it is the well-being of our entire world that is threatened. An Esoteric Christian does not have difficulty acknowledging and affirming the presence of the `Christ within,' glowing within his brother's heart in the Middle East. S/he knows that it is within the Muslim, both moderate and militant, and she knows that it is present in the heart of the soldier that raises a gun, either in self-defense, or in offense. The torture victim, and the torturer, both carry this potential - not as some abstract possibility, but as St. Paul's "hope of Glory," and as God's PROMISE to us. And an esoteric Christian is someone who is striving, in all s/he says and does, to herself embody the teachings of Christ without need for recognition, fear of reprisal, or the least self-interest in being perceived a certain way. It can be, in some settings, extremely unpopular - and even in today's world, life-threatening. More often, in my experience, it simply brings a great deal of criticism, even admonishment, if one is open or vocal about it. And this is quite ironic, when it is one's fellow Christians who level the cannons, and run to the canons. :eek:

But then, it is still often more popular to appear a certain way, than to be a certain thing. The motto of my state (North Carolina), perhaps says it all. Esse quam videri ... "to BE, rather than to seem." ;) And still, hypocrisy rules.

By the way, cav, as far as upbringing ... my Lutheran upbringing taught me almost none of this! Without it, however, I might very well understand none of it, and I would probably have no interest in Christianity whatsoever. It is always interesting, though a bit of a puzzlement to me, to meet an atheist! :p

Love and Light,

andrew

Thanks Tai. I really appreciate the thought and the time that must have gone into your reply.
To say the least, I am now even more curious.
I like the idea of the "Christ within" and cannot see how one person could have it, and another not.
Interms of the astrology, it made me remember a passage from the New Testament (Acts?) where one of the apostles(?) condemns an astrologer. I'm hoping that you know which passage I'm referring to. What do you make of this condemnation?

cavalier said:
Thanks Tai. I really appreciate the thought and the time that must have gone into your reply.
To say the least, I am now even more curious.
I like the idea of the "Christ within" and cannot see how one person could have it, and another not.
Interms of the astrology, it made me remember a passage from the New Testament (Acts?) where one of the apostles(?) condemns an astrologer. I'm hoping that you know which passage I'm referring to. What do you make of this condemnation?
A good book to look into, for more info on Esoteric Chrstianity, is the book by this same title, by Annie Besant. You can find it online, here. I was just finishing the first chapter earlier, inspired by this thread ... and reminded of it after my earlier post.

As for the condemnation of astrology in the New Testament, this is not at all surprising. Astrology is a sacred science, yet the Tibetan Master, writing via Alice Bailey, suggests that we know as yet almost nothing about this great Science. What is usually referred to as astrology, even today, is a pale comparison of the esoteric teachings on the subejct, and the stuff we see in newspapers and going about as pop astrology may safely be viewed as pure entertainment. True astrology is not focused on the personality, and it certainly is not about predicting fame, fortune and glory. Yet this is exactly what most people think of when they hear the word.

So if in our day, when science has already cast much light on the subject of astronomy, astrology is still so misunderstood and prostituted to selfish ends, should we be surprised that 2100 years ago it was just as misunderstood and misused? The state of things when Christ made His earlier appearance in the public eye was not enlightened, by any means. The Temple of God was being used for money-changing, and the Sanctity of the space had been all but forgotten. Christ came as a reformer then, and I am quite certain He will turn astrology on its end when He comes today!

The reference made in Luke 22:10 to Christ's return, as the Aquarian Avatar, is really a sharp constrast to the passage you've brought up (if I remember correctly, cav, since I can't recall the speciific passage, either). Christ's condemanation of the practices of divination, and the efforts to bend this sacred science to personal application, for selfish gain, is quite in keeping with His various admonitions of the rest of the abuses of ecclesiastical authority, and the general state of the practice of the Jewish religion by the masses.

Christ did not say that astrology was not valid, or that it did not have a higher use. Remember, it was astrology that brought the Magi to the baby Jesus, as related in the beginning of the Gospels ... and it was astrology that allowed Herod to know of Christ's birth. A Christian who denies this, or attempts to dismiss the Sacred Science with one fell swoop, is ignoring his Bible history, and missing Christ's point entirely. [I don't mean that you have; I think the question is valid. I can't be certain that my answer is accurate, but I'd bet a few vital organs on it. :p]

Still, in the greater scheme of things, astrology is just one aspect of the Esoteric Sciences, and though it is helpful - even vital - to understanding Christ's appearance (both earlier, and currently) ... it is of course, only one small part of the greater Mosaic (aha! another double entendre ;)). Esoteric, or Mystical Christianity, will focus considerably on NeoPlatonic teachings, and will also show certain parallels between Christ's message and that of all other world avatars, or Saviors.

Namskar,

andrew

cavalier said:
How do you know it's the word of God?

You didnt get the jist of anything I've written yet? The things which are in scripture are naturally foolish to us. We dont get it nor do we want to. As a matter of fact, it is as the Bible calls it, foolish and a stumbling block. But, when God gaves grace to those whom He wills, the foolish book is no longer foolish, but has become alive and we realize it for what it is - God's words. So, how do I know its God's words. God told me. :)

Im not crazy...Honest!

Terrence said:
You didnt get the jist of anything I've written yet? The things which are in scripture are naturally foolish to us. We dont get it nor do we want to. As a matter of fact, it is as the Bible calls it, foolish and a stumbling block. But, when God gaves grace to those whom He wills, the foolish book is no longer foolish, but has become alive and we realize it for what it is - God's words. So, how do I know its God's words. God told me. :)

Im not crazy...Honest!

When did I say anything about the Bible being foolish? I'm very interested as to why you have written that.

I believe you're telling the truth, I don't think you're crazy, but I can also see that there's a possibility you're mistaken.

What about the man who lives down my road? He says that God told him "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire" is the word of God. Who am I to believe?

cavalier said:
When did I say anything about the Bible being foolish? I'm very interested as to why you have written that.

I believe you're telling the truth, I don't think you're crazy, but I can also see that there's a possibility you're mistaken.

What about the man who lives down my road? He says that God told him "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire" is the word of God. Who am I to believe?

You said that its foolish when you said that you're not sure if to believe it or not. Agian, the scriptures are natually foolish to natural men. Jesus said that unless a man is born from above (meaning that unless God gives man new birth or the born again experience) he cannot even see the kingdom of God. We cannot see God or anything to do with God (the true God and not our idols) until God changes our heart and puts His spirit in us causing us to be born again (Ezek. 36:25-27). When this happens, all doubts about the bible and Jesus not being God will go away, because we will KNOW. Sounds a bit crazy, Im sure. But, its true nonetheless. The remedy for seeing truth is to honestly look at yourself in light of God's Law (Ten Commandments). Judge yourself by God's standards of goodness and see if you come close to what He said Good is. If you could see that you are in need of a Savior, and you repent (turn from your sins and live for God) and Trust (have real faith) in Jesus, you'll be on your way to knowing truth.

cavalier said:
Hey Tai
Hey Cavalier,

You might like Richard Smoley's book "Inner Christianity." I recommend anything from Cynthia Bourgealt. Alan Watts is awesome as well.

All those links will take you to Amazon pages. :)

Just a typical spurious comment from me:

Why do we need to define what a Christian is anyway? Are we trying to prove something to God or to ourselves? We are never happy until we can define something, pin it down, draw a line round the corpse. God isn't like that. Jesus said (my translation) "Be all-inclusive, just as God is all-inclusive". We're not supposed to define ourselves from others, but to unite ourselves with others. But it goes against the grain, doesn't it?

Virtual_Cliff said:
Just a typical spurious comment from me:

Why do we need to define what a Christian is anyway? Are we trying to prove something to God or to ourselves? We are never happy until we can define something, pin it down, draw a line round the corpse. God isn't like that. Jesus said (my translation) "Be all-inclusive, just as God is all-inclusive". We're not supposed to define ourselves from others, but to unite ourselves with others. But it goes against the grain, doesn't it?

QUESTION: If you are all-inclusive and united with everybody (which I agee with) how do you know that you are a Christian? What is the difference between a Christian and non-Christian? What is the name Christian about?

Blue Jay said:
QUESTION: If you are all-inclusive and united with everybody (which I agee with) how do you know that you are a Christian? What is the difference between a Christian and non-Christian? What is the name Christian about?
Blue Jay, I like your questions, because I think they help get this thread on a track worth running. Virtual_Cliff said something I was hoping someone would say. So the result of your two posts is this: We might ask What does it mean to be a Christian? This is actually a very different question than what people have been focused on and trying to answer. The way we've been approaching it is, What are the characteristics of a Christan ... which is how I interpret, "What defines a Christian?"

Both questions are worth answering, although they are focused along different lines. My apologies to the original poster if I'm deviating from his/her intentions in the original post. IF we could actually address the question, "What VIRTUES and positive qualities define a Christian, in terms of behavior and his/her attitude & ways of approaching or dealing with the world (self, God, others)?" .... I think we'd be doing a service. Why isn't this question being answered? Why, do we find, is it so much easier to concentrate on what people believe, religiously speaking? Could it be that this entirely evades the real point?

So would the question, "What does it MEAN to be a Christian?" .... start to get at a better answer. I sure hope so. :) Tell me, for example, if I happen to be from the planet Nepzoid, WHAT I would look for - JUST BY OBSERVATION - in learning about Christians. Some people might say that I would observe Christians going to church on Sunday. Some would even add other days of the week. Some might speak in terms of a certain type of fellowship, yet would leave the emphasis on "church" out of it altogether. Many Quakers, and non-denomination folks do NOT go to a building that looks like a traditional church at all! It's often a storefront in a shopping center somewhere. As this strange alien that I am, I would be misled if you said, "churches always look like such 'n such."

So do some Christians attend no service at all? For some, could community service be the way they worship God, and show that they love Him, His creation, and everyone in it? I do not know; we don't do things like this back on Nepzoid. But what do people BEHAVE like? How do they regard themselves, treat each other, and HOW is their daily routine any different than people of other faiths, or no faith at all? I expect the answers to differ, at least somehow, than the answers I'd get by asking Muslims the same question, or Hindus the same question. Along these lines
What does it mean to be a Christian? :)
Love & Light,
andrew

Blue Jay said:

I think the point is that God wants everyone to discover the answer for themselves. The answer has to be something compatible with who we are as people, not defined by the local authorities, be it the congregation you attend, the media or politicians, but what you feel deep in your own heart, mind and soul.

I think the point is that God wants everyone to discover the answer for themselves. The answer has to be something compatible with who we are as people, not defined by the local authorities, be it the congregation you attend, the media or politicians, but what you feel deep in your own heart, mind and soul.

Saltmeister:

This is one of the wisest observations posted here in a long while. If it were only possible also for people to be respectful and cognizant of the beliefs of others without succumbing to the temptation of trying to coerce them into their flavors of belief, then the world would truly be a better place.

flow....;)

flowperson said:
This is one of the wisest observations posted here in a long while. If it were only possible also for people to be respectful and cognizant of the beliefs of others without succumbing to the temptation of trying to coerce them into their flavors of belief, then the world would truly be a better place.

In my view, coercing people into adopting your beliefs (or your approach to those beliefs) would never work out in the end anyway. What we'd be doing is getting them to believe in something that makes sense only to us. We could write a 200 page book on how to approach Christianity -- an effort to impress them that we've got it all together and that they won't have to do anymore fruitless searching. After you read this fantastic book that's it!!! We've got all the answers.

Ok, fine. We're smart. We know it all. But then what happens when they get smart? They start getting their own ideas and before you know it, they dump the book we've written -- all that hard work for nothing.

Rebellion. Insubordination. No convert, you don't need to think for yourself. We gave you all the answers at the very beginning. Obviously you didn't have much faith to begin with. Now you're telling us you know better -- that you've got all the answers now? We were wrong? Your ideas are better than our's? Damn it. We were here long before you. You obviously weren't very sure of your faith. You didn't trust us, God's messengers. You didn't trust God.

It's also a bad example as well. A "know it all" attitude encourages other people to have a "know it all" attitude. These are the consequences of arrogance and showmanship. I think it's the simple act of giving every individual person credit for figuring it out for themselves. We shouldn't take credit for someone else's insights, and nor should we try and own someone else's destiny as a Christian.

But then again, traditionalists and conservatives have their place as well as liberals and free-thinkers. Neither group is better than the other.

The traditionalists/conservatives set the boundaries while the free-thinkers are off expanding them. The conservatists are just afraid the free-thinkers might explore too far . . .

Christianity is sacred, but I guess that also means Christianity is personal. Anything sacred is "important" to someone, so one has to figure out for himself what's important (sacred) to them in Christianity.

Back