Daily Wisdom Saying

Vajradhara

One of Many
Reaction score
Namaste all,

this thread will be an ongoing update of pithy wisdom sayings from various traditions... my contributions will be mainly from the Buddhist and Taoist schools of thought. i would encourage any poster to contribute to this list if they would like.

without further ado...

Zen in its essence is the art of seeing into the nature of one's being, and it points the way from bondage to freedom.

D.T. Suzuki

I'm astounded by people who want to "know" the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Woody Allen.

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die evan the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain

Radiant one,this experience may dawn between two breaths.After breath comes in and just before turning up.

Swami Lakshmanjoo

The fish trap exists because of the fish; once you've gotten the fish, you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit; once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning; once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can have a word with him? -- Zhuangzi

Mondo

A monk asked Chao-chou,

"I have just entered the monastery; please give me some guidance."

Chao-chou said,

"Have you eaten your rice gruel?"

The monk said, "Yes, i've eaten."

Chao-chou said,

"Then go wash your bowl."

gatha

Bodhi is actually not a tree,
The mind not a mirror bright.
Buddha-nature is always tranquil,
Wherefore can dust alight?

Though there are many paths
At the foot of the mountain
All those who reach the top
See the same moon.

Vajradhara said:
I'm astounded by people who want to "know" the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Woody Allen.

Confucius says something similar: We don't know yet how to live on earth, and we should save ourselves the trouble and time of looking to the after life. (Something like that...)

To all Buddhist and Zen enthusiasts here:

I am of the impression that whatever of wisdom for life Buddhism and its various schools have thought up, and their social, dietary, disciplinary, and physical and mental health prescriptions: they have been thought up and said by wise men from other realms and other times from the dawn of human society and language to the present.

Of course being Buddhist or Zen-ist gives the enhusiasts a label for which they can claim distinction and some sense of superior differentiation.

Susma Rio Sep

Taoist

Chuang Tzu and Hui Tzu were strolling along the dam of the Hao River when Chuang Tzu said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"

Hui Tzu said, "You're not a fish - how do you know what fish enjoy?"

Chuang Tzu said, "You're not I, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"

Hui Tzu said, "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish - so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"

Chuang Tzu said, "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me
how I know what fish enjoy - so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao."

-- Zhuangzi

Knowledge by comparison

Chuang Tzu and Hui Tzu were strolling along the dam of the Hao River when Chuang Tzu said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"

Hui Tzu said, "You're not a fish - how do you know what fish enjoy?"

Chuang Tzu said, "You're not I, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"

Hui Tzu said, "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish - so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"

Chuang Tzu said, "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me
how I know what fish enjoy - so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao."

-- Zhuangzi

We cannot know directly how the minnows feel; but by comparing their behavior with ours consequential to our feeling, we draw the conclusion that they feel the same. Thus if they do not flee, are not jerking wildly, do not show violent injurious gestures and postures, then they must be feeling swell, like us when we do not.

How do we know how others feel when we are not they? By comparison also with our own external manifestations consequential to our inner feelings: because others are human like us, so they must have the same feelings if they exhibit the same outward comportment.

On the other hand, I must confess that anecdote is interesting and the author must be saying what I understand. Or am I so dumb that I miss completely the whole point of his wisdom message?

Susma Rio Sep

The true way goes over a rope which is not stretched at any great height but just above the ground. It seems more designed to make people stumble than to be walked upon.

-Franz Kafka

Sic et non

The true way goes over a rope which is not stretched at any great height but just above the ground. It seems more designed to make people stumble than to be walked upon.

-Franz Kafka

That's very good.

But remember also:

The fool claims to know the true way.

-Su smaR iosep

General comments from Dr. Susma:

Some very devout Biblical Christians would open the Bible with closed eyes, and blindly point with a finger to any passage on the opened pages; from that text they would seek the guidance of God.

Indeed, unbiased reading of both ancient and contemporary wisdom sayings is a better approach.

My general counsel is to seek the opinions of people who are more learned, more intelligent, more experienced in life and in the area you are seeking counsel on, who are non-partisan and love humanity and fellowmen, as regards the what, the why, the how, and the should of a decision you have to make. Don’t neglect the learning and wisdom of your contemporaries.

"Seek counsel, and you will not regret." Not as very likely as otherwise.

About ancient writings in regard to wisdom for living life, they are interesting literature; but we must not imagine and proceed as though they have something to tell us that is really new and useful which we do not ourselves today know and know better.

Beware of spending time and effort deciphering, decrypting, unpuzzling apocalyptic arcane recondite esoteric, for initiates only texts of the ancients, to seek some useful truth or guidance; if they write in that manner, they don’t know what they are talking about because they are not clear about what they want to tell us; and we don’t owe them any reading attention – except as a challenge of archeological textual mastery and as a hobby for pastime.

Missing the present dwelling in the past.

Su smaR iosep

Susma Rio Sep

PS: A grain of humor speaks volumes. (Susma Rio Sep)

Founder of Aikido

Love is the guardian deity of everything.Nothing can exist without it.Aikido is the realization of love.

Morihei Ushiba
(Shinto?I assume)

Back