Part of a whole?

Leafblade

A spirit fox
Reaction score
Sometimes in Maine, sometimes in Pennsulvania
With the variety of beliefs that in our world, all of them holding a different ideology of spiritual peace and sometimes destruction I steadily I try understand all the common factors. I think that every belief, holds a different aspect of truth in them about us, the afterlife, and everything. Be it you believe in a world of only physical matter or a world consisting of physical and spiritual matter I think there are factors shared by both that fit each individual and everyone as a whole.

One thing I learned to believe is that we all take up the traits of the ones that made us. We can take up the traits in behavior from our parents, but I think we also consist of traits of something greater. Even if you think you're nothing like your parents in terms of behavior or beliefs, you are still a certain part of them. I think we take up more than just our parent's appearances, we take up part of who they are, even if you seem like polar opposites, you are that part of them. Their opposite. Even if you and someone else are complete strangers, everyone you see, be they people you like or dislike, they reflect a part of who you are. Even if your ideology is different on the outside and on the inside, somewhere in you, you there is a faint trace of that other person.

Same thing in the spiritual aspect, we are all linked. Should you believe in a creator or no creator at all you are still a small aspect of something bigger, and you too can find something about you in a random person. Should you believe that we have a common spiritual creator I believe we would share some small aspect of what that creator is. If you believe that there is no creator yet an afterlife, or that you are unique, somewhere in other people is something you can relate to. That something makes you the same, yet your differences still allow you to be unique.

I believe that's a key part in spirituality, finding something that you see in yourself, something you can relate to and holding onto it in hopes of helping you find our more about yourself, your part in a bigger chain and feeling more at peace because of it.

Well-stated, Leafblade. Your thoughts would appear to be confirmed by the very fact that there are so many differences here in CR, yet we all "touch" one another in some way--and why would any of us be here if not to do just that? :)

InPeace,
InLove

Thank you, but it's not just here that helped me think of this, it's a lot of places. Places where I feel at home posting, otheres where I feel out of placed. Reflecting on this I realized that even though I didn't agree with some of the things they said, there was some part of me, kind of like my own opposite yet still me, that agreed with them or thought like them at some point, if only for a second.

In Pure Land symbolism, the undifferentiated nature of truth/reality is expressed by gold.............the individuality/uniqueness/suchness of each expression is represented by the lotus flower. The Pure Land is a place of billions of golden lotus flowers!!

There is an interesting passage in the journals of the Trappist monk Thomas Merton that speaks on the theme of this thread...................

"Too much emphasis on one's own truth, one's own authentic freedom, and one forgets the limitations and restrictions of this 'my own'. Tendency to take 'my own' truth and freedom as unlimited, ultimate, 'in my own case'. This is a total loss. The paradox that only God's truth is ultimately my truth (there is no one truth for me, another for my neighbour, another for God) and only God's will is my freedom."

And Merton then quotes Eckhart..........."Blessed are the pure in heart who leave everything to God now as they did before they ever existed."

Perhaps we all need to live "God's truth". And the grace is that we each express it according to our own unique "suchness" and individuality.

:)

Tariki said:
Perhaps we all need to live "God's truth". And the grace is that we each express it according to our own unique "suchness" and individuality.

Putting aside the question of whether or not "God" exists, I agree that we need to understand reality as it is, and since we understand "truths" in our own individual way, with our own capacities, from our own vantagepoint, etc, we may have our own subtly different truths that nevertheless reflect that same reality.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Personally I believe everyone and everything on this planet promote and hold on to certain virtues. Humans promote and hold more then other animals and people closer to God, a deity or sound philosophy hold and promote even more. The point of doing so is for the benefit of that person, either in life or in the afterlife. The effects always last on earth even after the passing of that person, your children benefit from the philosophy they are raised by if not them there children or other people who see the example.

Leafblade said:
Thank you, but it's not just here that helped me think of this, it's a lot of places. Places where I feel at home posting, otheres where I feel out of placed. Reflecting on this I realized that even though I didn't agree with some of the things they said, there was some part of me, kind of like my own opposite yet still me, that agreed with them or thought like them at some point, if only for a second.

This is an interesting commment Leafblade. I have experienced it many times. In each case I have found it to happen where someone spoke the truth but it conflicted with my current belief. At a later time, when I was ready, I realized it was the truth and the reason a part of me agreed if even for a moment is because I have found that truth is innate in me an furthermore in every person. It is our personal perceived beliefs and attempts to be unique that are mostly fallacious and get in the way of recognizing that which is true. Uniqueness is usually deemed positive but I find it is our very uniqueness that trys to give us the illusion of separation when there is none. When uniqueness disappears, we are found as One. Just a view to consider or discard.

Love in Christ,
JM

Back