Help please

FLOWERGIRL

Reaction score
I found the following quotes on another site but feel they have probably not been posted in their entire context. So if it's not to much trouble can someone please post me the contexts of the following Watchtower quotes? Thank you in advance.

g88 8/8 p. 9 Do You Choose—Or Let Others Choose for You?

Would it not be wise to ask yourself: ‘To what do I owe my religion? Was it a hand-me-down that I have never questioned? Or did I make a deliberate, rational choice?’ Asking such questions is the very thing that the Bible urges us to do. The apostle Paul admonished the Corinthians to ‘keep testing whether they were in the faith, to keep proving what they themselves were.’—
2 Corinthians 13:5.

On the other hand, some were moved to reconsider their religious upbringing. The Bible mentions a young man named Timothy whose mother and grandmother brought him up as a Jew in harmony with the Scriptures. At some point they adjusted their thinking to become Christians. Years later Paul reminded him of what he had ‘learned and been persuaded to believe.’ (
2 Timothy 3:14) Thus Timothy was encouraged to remain in the Christian faith that he had accepted, after he himself had made a thorough examination.

Sergius Paulus was a Roman provincial governor in Cyprus who doubtless paid homage to some of the Roman gods. After listening to the preaching of Paul, however, “he became a believer, deeply impressed by what he learned about the Lord.”—
Acts 13:12, NE.

In both cases a deliberate choice was made after a thorough examination based on God’s Word. Why not imitate the course of Sergius Paulus and Timothy? One changed his religion, the other did not; but both were rewarded by personally finding the truth. Nevertheless, because of tradition, fear, or prejudice, some may feel reticent about taking such a step.

On the other hand...

w86 3/15 p. 12 ‘Do Not Be Quickly Shaken From Your Reason’

Have No Dealings With Apostates

7 Now, what will you do if you are confronted with apostate teaching—subtle reasonings—claiming that what you believe as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is not the truth? For example, what will you do if you receive a letter or some literature, open it, and see right away that it is from an apostate? Will curiosity cause you to read it, just to see what he has to say? You may even reason: ‘It won’t affect me; I’m too strong in the truth. And, besides, if we have the truth, we have nothing to fear. The truth will stand the test.’ In thinking this way, some have fed their minds upon apostate reasoning and have fallen prey to serious questioning and doubt. (Compare
James 1:5-8.) So remember the warning at 1 Corinthians 10:12: “Let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall.”

w84 5/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers

Hence, it is out of wisdom and respect for God’s counsel that Jehovah’s Witnesses do not make a practice of exchanging valuable Bible study aids containing Scriptural truth for religious literature that disseminates error or apostate views.

As you can see I like context context context rather than just snippets of information, therefore I'll be posting MORE "snippets" in the hope that you kind people will be able to post me the context and links.

Thank you :)

"Our Lord's human body was, however, supernaturally removed from the tomb; because had it remained there it would have been an insurmountable obstacle to the faith of the disciples, who were not yet instructed in spiritual things - for "the spirit was not yet given." (John 7:39)" (The Time Is At Hand; 1889; 1915 ed.; p. 129)

"Our Lord's human body, the one crucified, was removed from the tomb by the power of God. Had it remained there it would have been an obstacle in the way of the faith of his disciples, who were not yet instructed in spiritual things. They were not thus instructed until the giving of the holy spirit at Pentecost. (The Harp Of God, 1921; 1928 ed.; pp. 172)

"God disposed of Jesus' body, not allowing it to see corruption and thus preventing its becoming a stumbling block to faith."
Watchtower, November 15, 1991 page 3

Jesus gave Thomas proof that it was him by showing him his hands and his side. ("In order to convince Thomas of who He was, He used a body with wound holes." You Can Live Forever In Paradise on Earth p. 145)

With much appreciation. FLOWERGIRL :)

Back